Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: November Outing - Suggestions

Default Re: November Outing - Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipKr35 View Post
    Is Katong Convent still around the corner?
    Across the overhead bridge only leh. Bridge was called the 'Love Bridge' during my time in secondary school
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1307246

here is an idea for a food photography outing.

hi hope to join some of your outing
    Love insects Macro Photography本杰明 More Pctures at my Blog at bennieHsu

Nov is half way already, still need give people advance notice.

any suggestions.
    K-01: S8FE, DA35, DA70 Flickr

how about old railway trip. from Buona Vista mrt to bukit timah bridge;

Good for portrait or nature or macro

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...I.keVErT9sPYsM
    Last edited by sunnycamera; 15th November 2013 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnycamera View Post
    Nov is half way already, still need give people advance notice.

any suggestions.
    Sorry for the late update. I'll post the outing thread soon. Sometimes we give notice too long ahead of the actual day, the turn up rate is pretty bad. Better just post it one week before the actual outing day.

I would sign-up for the school outing; it seems getting there is straight-forward, its a decent hour and I favour interesting architecture, besides there are some interesting places nearby one could wander to if got enough of the noisy kids and their families

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli4Noodles View Post
    I would sign-up for the school outing; it seems getting there is straight-forward, its a decent hour and I favour interesting architecture, besides there are some interesting places nearby one could wander to if got enough of the noisy kids and their families

Great.
    See you on 23rd

Dear Pentaxians, its been long time. Btw, this is Ronald from Emjay Glad to see some old and some new faces.

The reason why I suggested to Feng Wei that St Patricks would be an interesting and unique choice for your monthly outings was mainly because of the history and the period architecture of St Patricks. I believe St Patricks is the only "old school" left that still occupies its original site which was originally built in 1933 thus making it 80 years old this year. Almost all the schools from the bygone colonial age like St Joseph's, Town Convent (That's what IJ Toa Payoh convent used to be called), ACS and RI etc etc have fallen victim to 'modernization' and exiled to new locations far from their original sites while their old buildings either torn down (like RI) or have been given a different role. I'm sure most of you know that Chijmes was once an IJ Convent and if you you walked tru Chijmes without knowing its history, you would never have thought that it was once a convent and a school.

Given the age of St Patricks, the school is a place that is full of history (and ghosts). Many generations of Peranakans (like me), Eurasians, Indians, Chinese and Malays who lived in the East Coast attended this school and proudly call St Patricks their alma mater and I'm sure some students will even have grandfathers who attended the school. All the original buildings have been preserved and even the new building extensions built in the 1990s were made to look like the original buildings so you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. The human traditions are still alive and the unique traits of the typical St Patricks boy is the same as before when I studied there almost 30 years ago... I kid you not! So when you take a photograph, you're capturing the human and architectural history of St Patricks and the people who have walked tru its (original) corridors.

I have asked the school to open its door to the Pentaxians for a day and they have allowed me to do so. Its a bonus to have the Pentaxian photo outing on the same day as the St Patrick's Open Day. I think there should be performances by groups like the marching band, the lion dance troupe, uniform groups etc etc. The school only has one condition, that Pentaxians or anyone else from the photo outing share their photos with the school for its own use, if requested.

Come enjoy a day out and see a unique place not all know of.

If you want to know what St Patricks looks like, go here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=0c3a3ef8d5 (wrong link fixed)

Wikipedia's entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_P...gapore#History

Location: https://maps.google.com.sg/maps?q=st...m&z=17&iwloc=A

See you all there at 8:30AM at the school tuckshop
    Last edited by Camera Obscura; 18th November 2013 at 11:15 PM.

Thanks Ronald for the heads up. Pity I can't join you guys...

Ronald, thanks for the write up of the schools history.

Looking forward to seeing and photographing there.

Hihi...

Hoping to join all on my 1st outing (if possible to bring my son along) to the school since i got my cam a couple of months. Still reading up and learning but nothing beats learning hands-on from you guys.

Is 18-135mm lens sufficent together with a tripod? Thanks.

Shawn.

Quote Originally Posted by newbiker View Post
    Hihi...

Hoping to join all on my 1st outing (if possible to bring my son along) to the school since i got my cam a couple of months. Still reading up and learning but nothing beats learning hands-on from you guys.

Is 18-135mm lens sufficent together with a tripod? Thanks.

Shawn.
    Yes it is
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12