Thread: Shutter speed dropped significantly.

Default Shutter speed dropped significantly.

Hi guys, i need help about my d5100. Recently i brought my dslr on an overseas trip but i was so butterfingers that i dropped it and there were some scuffs on my lens body and battery grip. I came back and sent it to the NSC to have it checked out but they said there were no misalignment of the lens and no damage were taken to the sensor. However, when i came back i noticed that the shutter speed was significantly slower as normally when i take a picture in my room, it would normally be at 1/300 or so but it dropped to 1/30-60 which is alot. My shutter count is at 15k now. Is it that i need to change the shutter or probably its the settings changed by the NSC ppl when they were doing the checks? Thanks.

PS: Sorry (to the moderators) if i posted this on the wrong section as i'm new here and not quite sure where to post this.

Default Re: Shutter speed dropped significantly.

Well, are the shots you take now properly exposed? It would help if you listed your settings (mode, ISO etc), but it sounds like a setting change. Perhaps just the ISO setting.

Indoors at 1/300 sounds like a high ISO (unless your room is lit by floodlights!).

Post some photos of before and after the drop, with exif intact, we will take a look.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Speed is relative to aperture and ISO.. Any changes to one will affect the others in a properly working camera. You would want to be worried if your pictures are grossly underexposed or overexposed. The technician may have set different settings hence the different speed. Like our friend said, post pictures with the exif. The pictures will tell. Cheers. I think it may just be at different settings. Cheers.

Take a picture and post it here with the EXIF data for us to assist.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

You may want to also check the mode (P, A, S, M) you are in when you took that shot.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

My guess is TS is on fully auto mode with very high ISO enable all the while.
    When the camera was in the service center, they lower the maximum ISO for him.
    TS is taking his camera as an oversize point and shoot, so too details tech talk is not he looking for.

Hey thank you all very much for the replies. I've found out the problem, which many of you guys suggested that it could be becuase of the technicians whom change the iso to the lowest possible for test shots and turns out i did not set my iso settings back to what i normally would take pics with (arnd 800iso). But will the shutter count be of effect to the shutter speed too? I have heard from friends that higher shutter count relates to shorter shutter life, hence slowing down the shutter speed as we used it more often. Thanks for the advice everyone, i really appreciate it!!!

no worries ..everything is fine..shutter count and shutter speed no direct relation. Shutter speed, aperture and iso are the most important 3 things since day 1 of photography. If your shutter count exceed the life, it will just die ..

Quote Originally Posted by Lim Wei Jie View Post
    Hey thank you all very much for the replies. I've found out the problem, which many of you guys suggested that it could be becuase of the technicians whom change the iso to the lowest possible for test shots and turns out i did not set my iso settings back to what i normally would take pics with (arnd 800iso). But will the shutter count be of effect to the shutter speed too? I have heard from friends that higher shutter count relates to shorter shutter life, hence slowing down the shutter speed as we used it more often. Thanks for the advice everyone, i really appreciate it!!!
    You worry too much already.
    Camera will spoil even you don't use it often.
    Beside, most people either upgrade to new camera, or interest die off long before their camera shutter reach end of life.

"I have heard from friends that higher shutter count relates to shorter shutter life, hence slowing down the shutter speed as we used it more often. Thanks for the advice everyone, i really appreciate it!!!"

1) I have heard from friends that higher shutter count relates to shorter shutter life - erm yes..duh..this is obvious and straightforward.

2) No. Shutter count is 1 thing. Shutter Speed is another thing. They are totally 2 different matter altogether. No matter how much shutter life is left. As long it still can snap. You will be able to snap at the fastest speed your camera can do.

The average shutter life span for entry level DSLR is 100k, let says you shoot 1000 frames per outing, you will take two years of weekly outings to reach 100k shutter counts.

Thank you for all your advice guys, really has been a great help and ease my mind on the condition of my dslr. I'm a beginner at this so i hope i don't seem to be a nuisance to all of you. Thanks!

So shutter count being same, does always using high shutter speed relates to shorter shutter life?..just curious

Quote Originally Posted by saberlancer View Post
    So shutter count being same, does always using high shutter speed relates to shorter shutter life?..just curious
    Of course not.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Lim Wei Jie View Post
    I have heard from friends that higher shutter count relates to shorter shutter life, hence slowing down the shutter speed as we used it more often. Thanks for the advice everyone, i really appreciate it!!!
    I think you should stop listening to those "friends" for anything photography-related
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by saberlancer View Post
    there are noting stated in the camera user manual, nobody bother to do a research, probably just another old wives tales.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    there are noting stated in the camera user manual, nobody bother to do a research, probably just another old wives tales.
    Time to throw the D4 away... shooting at 10 fps will kill it fast

Quote Originally Posted by lenslust View Post
    Time to throw the D4 away... shooting at 10 fps will kill it fast
    I will be stalking your dustbin.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    I will be stalking your dustbin.
    Hahaha... I'll announce it when I do.