Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To ban or not to ban

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    ok.. i think i sounded some kind of victim here....

i dun like the idea on the probation thingy.. bragging about thousands of dollars spend on publicity and stuffs...

well... i think this thread has served its purpose ?

i have given my experience on thoa_rs... maybe to create another awareness... tats all... its all in the past.. for me... my initial contact with him was hopefully for me to venture into wedding as an experience.

i myself is a wildlife and street photographer, so weddings is somthing i may venture in in another 1-2yrs time...

but seriously... on probation periods, photographers are still paid as allowances.
    I agree with the allowance thing.No one shoots for free.Not even apprentices, for they are entitled to be able to keep their shots at the very least.You spend your time snapping, you are entitled to something in return.Using niceties and trying to convince the poor fella that its adequate just being there is just coming too close to exploitation IMHO.

Well, I PM-ed Thoa with my gallery.He didn't get back to me.I'm fine with that
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by kegler
    How come u not offering $1000/- to ban him?

On e serious side, this thread is more of a personal attack
    anyone knows who won the $1000?

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=122103

Perhaps the shooter is only looking for a 'tag-along' to provide the newbie with some real life learning opportunities. In this case, the main photographer can cover the event all by himself even without the backup photographer.

In his original posts, I don't think there was any promise of eventual paid shoots. So its really up to whether the terms are acceptable by anyone. For inexperienced shooters, maybe here's a good learning chance; for the more experienced shooter, I don't think any idiot would want to do it for free.

maybe i should shed some light on this issue.

i was there for his "so-called" interview. i was going to expect a regular middle age guy who would actually provide learning opportunities.

However, to my disbelieve, when i was there, i actually saw 2 guys, 1 is a videographer, the other (thoa_rs) is a photographer.in their early 20's, looks like regular students to me...

he would ask on ur previous experience with photography and ask if u are comfortable working with digital workflow and flim. BnWs and colours.

after a short interview, he asked me whether i was free to shoot on this days... given a date 14th. but eventually i wasnt able to turn up as i was working OT.

He said, if i were to be "to up to his standard" i will have to shoot 6-8mths FOR free !! no pays, no allowance, juz shoot and give him the prints. and he will slowly intro me to his so called clients and eventually place my name on his website which he claimed he spent thousands of dollars making them. after the 6-8mths den hw will review whether should he take u under his wing.

first of all... its not the trust or not. But to make me to shoot 6-8mths for free is realli asking trouble from me. pple who work during probation periods also get allowances.

and after which, if he was to take u under his wing, the client will have to pay him first, and then he will take the top, u take the bottom and u shoot, he submit. thats a per assignment basis.. get wad i meant ?
    Glen, I'm quite dissapointed with your take on this, it is very inaccurate. It is sad that sometimes people mistake good intentions.

Firstly, I have never said that you would have to 'give me your prints'. I only said that it would be nice courtesy for you to pass a set of your photos to the client, entirely up to you to do so. I DO NOT use backup photographer's prints as they are inconsistent with my style.

Secondly, I emphasized many times that this is just an OPPORTUNITY to try out a few weddings, not a JOB OFFER. Unfortunately, many people has this misconception and came to me immediately asking "so what's the pay like?". There is no contractual period to work for me, if you're interested to do a few more weddings to build up a stronger portfolio, I'll let you tag along. I only said 6-8 months because that's the rough gage of timing it takes to BREAK-IN to the market, and certainly not a period of time spent WORKING FOR ME FOR FREE.

As regards to Lai. He is just an unhappy dealer (regarding a $20 UV filter) whose deal failed to come through. His reaction to this little matter is shocking indeed.

it is ok for inexperience ppl to follow without being paid for a few jobs, but for 6 mths to 8 mths, it will need a idiot to agreed.

YYK should see this... he should remember the 1K bounty being placed on this address and contacts.. whahaha...
    yes I'm watching. Isn't it funny when da lawyer always starts a thread and disappears after that? While you guys fight it out? Is there an intent to sow discord beetween the good relationship of CSers?

ok..maybe i got it wrong or what... but however, i shall not defend myself since you have spoken.

it could be entirely my fault or misconception or miscommunication.

i believe this thread has served its purpose and both parties have come into the thread to relieve this problem

maybe i was wrong and there was some miscommunications somewhere.

i apologize should i cause thoa_rs much problems. i believe it was my problem in miscommunications.

therefore this thread has served its purpose.The Moderators may close this thread so as not to affect Thoa_rs

+1 before lock

No worries Glen.

It is quite obvious who should be banned around here. The thread starter (Lai.camera, da.photo, etc) is slandering me as he was unhappy that I did not meet up with him to buy his UV filter. How a grown man can react so immaturely to such a little matter is beyond my reasoning.

oh yes.. to lai.camera aka da photo aka sweetdreams, please do read this post
    if you've missed it.

I've already consulted legal advisors from your first defamatory post on me.

May the force be with you.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    oh yes.. to lai.camera aka da photo aka sweetdreams, please do read this post
    if you've missed it.

I've already consulted legal advisors from your first defamatory post on me.

May the force be with you.
    u post a 1.5k bounty on him la... on his address, name, tel number, nric and every essential details to make ur lawsuit legal.. heh..

reason to put 1.5k, win him.. he put 1k on u, u put 1.5k on his bottocks.. whaha

Those ppl are really too much liao lo...making use of ppl to work free for them!
    I heard this in the entertainment industry too, the so-call producer will interview those young and pretty "Superstars-wannabe" gals and then the rest is history (you should know what I meant, rite?).

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy
    Those ppl are really too much liao lo...making use of ppl to work free for them!
    I heard this in the entertainment industry too, the so-call producer will interview those young and pretty "Superstars-wannabe" gals and then the rest is history (you should know what I meant, rite?).

Please get your facts right and read all the posts in this thread before you make sweeping claims such as this.

i better PM the mods to close this thread... if not thoa_rs suddenli become a villain here...

We have to learn to read the contract or terms and conditions of any contract carefully and these are to be discussed and negotiated. Point here is negotiate.

Even the largest corporation in Singapore has their T&Cs drafted siding to their advantage (go ahead and read some of the T&Cs). But how did many US MNCs signed these agreements if they are largely one-sided, it's by negotiating and re-drafting new contracts with new T&Cs, usually done by the Business Development and Legal Eagles from both companies.

There really is no right or wrong in this case, just that people need to negotiate when things are not even, if not can always walk away and be peaceful about it.

Oh.. in the agreements usually there are point of reference on where they go to to settle disputes, maybe Singapore Courts or in some cases UK or US courts, again some thing to be agreed upon.

My 2 cents only...

P.S. Looks like the thread starter didn't think about the implications of his post huh! but alot of people learned from his thread I should say.

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy
    please be specific.. I'm not in the industry so I don't know what is 'history' .

glennyong: I don't need to post a bounty to get his particulars. There's a legal way to go about everything. Not everyone practices like da rogue lawyer. or probably I'm not that rich to offer that amount..
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

i know wad xxxboy's meant... dun worry, singapore producers nt like that... onli those in taiwan.. u see plenty of these pple out there...

but singapore i believe theres some who go round telling others they have contacts in the media and will help in connection and etc etc... and in the end.. cheated their money and body....

heard of this plenty of times....

+1 before lock up!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123