Thread: Stanford University

Default Stanford University

Hi,

I recently visited the Stanford Unitversity in California. Here are some pictures that I would like to share. I believe you will agree that this is a beautiful place to study at.

As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

All comments and feedback are welcomed!

Thanks!

Roy
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Beautiful campus! Like the pics too, there's a strong sense of order and symmetry which holds them together.

Seems like you favour symmetry in your pictures.

I like the way it has turned out, with the colours and composition.

My $0.02

Cheers!
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Thanks for your compliments!

The buildings are very symmetrical, and when I frame for a shot, I find that symmetrical framing works naturally for a lot of the shots.

The skies have been darkend with a polarizer filter. Otherwise it would have turned out almost white, due to the CP995's internal algorithm.

Hi Roy

I like what you did with the sky - looks good

like the lighting in the picture with the rows of pillars/columns - nice [for taking wedding pics and etc]

kay-poh a bit - what were you doing there? lucky you!

the picture look very nice and well taken, but i find the picture has the fake feeling... maybe it's too sharp... especially the one with the coconut tree, it look 3D but fake... IMHO...

Originally posted by Juvelyn

Hi Roy

I like what you did with the sky - looks good

like the lighting in the picture with the rows of pillars/columns - nice [for taking wedding pics and etc]

kay-poh a bit - what were you doing there? lucky you!
    Thanks. I was a bit worried that I have overdone the polarizer effect in darkening the sky. On the LCD screen I could not really see the effect, so I just turn the polarizer until the sky looks dark enough, and snapped away. I should have maybe braketed a few shots with different polarizer angles.

I was visiting San Francisco with my family last week, and my wife suggested that we visit the Stanford Unitversity. I am glad we made that choice.

- Roy

Originally posted by Perry
    the picture look very nice and well taken, but i find the picture has the fake feeling... maybe it's too sharp... especially the one with the coconut tree, it look 3D but fake... IMHO...
    I see what you mean regarding the coconut trees. Somehow the trunks have very inconsistant thickness, and the lighting does not seem to depict the roundness of the trunks, making them look very flat in the picture, like a very poor cut and paste job in PS. Not sure if this has anything to do with the fact that I was shooting at wide angle (~24mm) using the WC-E63 on the CP995.

Does all the picture look fake to you, or just the one with the coconut trees?

It really seems like a nice place to study... I wonder if I ever get a chance.

Originally posted by roygoh

Does all the picture look fake to you, or just the one with the coconut trees?
    not all, but those with the sky in the background...

Originally posted by Perry

not all, but those with the sky in the background...
    Guess I have darkened the sky too much with the polarizer then.

Thanks for your feedback!

Roy

looks like u own the whole campus!! hehehe...i only managed to see 1 ppl in all your pics..why nobody one ah?

Originally posted by AMDer
    looks like u own the whole campus!! hehehe...i only managed to see 1 ppl in all your pics..why nobody one ah?
    ....because......I reserved the entire university for that day.....or....whenever I am taking a picture, I had my family chase everyone away from the scene.........or.......I PS'ed away all the people in the pictures...

No lah. Just joking. It was a weekday, around 11AM when we visited the university. There were not many people around, and I did have to wait ocassionally for people to walk pass before I can take some of the shots.

Nice pictures you got there, Roy!

Personally I don't care how fake the trees might look. They all look as good as real to me, ...probably because I haven't attained any high standard yet.

I got a circular polarizer for my Coolpix too but so far, I have never been successful to get any picture with such a dark blue sky with our own Singapore tropical sky, yet I have already given up. Did you use polarizer too on the 2nd pic? The sky ain't blue on this one.

Default Beautiful photos

Stanford is just down the road from where I live. These are beautiful shots. You should send them to Stanford. I actually started my photo experience taking photos of buildings, but never got good at.

Regard, Alex

Originally posted by rty
    Nice pictures you got there, Roy!

Personally I don't care how fake the trees might look. They all look as good as real to me, ...probably because I haven't attained any high standard yet.

I got a circular polarizer for my Coolpix too but so far, I have never been successful to get any picture with such a dark blue sky with our own Singapore tropical sky, yet I have already given up. Did you use polarizer too on the 2nd pic? The sky ain't blue on this one.
    Thanks, rty. You are so modest. I have seen a lot of good pictures from you.

You get maximum sky-darkening effect with a polarizer when you point your camera at 90 degrees from the sun.

My guess us that this is also dependent on the air quality. Particles in the air will scatter the light, thus de-polarizing it and in turn making the polarizer ineffective. So you will have lesser effect on hazy days. Another thing I am not sure about is the effect of humidity on the amount of polariszed light you get from the sky.

I am pretty sure I kept the polarizer on for all the shots. The sky in the second shot was not as dark, either because the angle from the sun was not close to 90 degrees, or I forgot to adjust the polarizer angle for more darkening effect for that shot.

Don't give up. Give it a few more tries and I am sure you will come up with good pictures.

Default Re: Beautiful photos

Originally posted by softlite
    Stanford is just down the road from where I live. These are beautiful shots. You should send them to Stanford. I actually started my photo experience taking photos of buildings, but never got good at.

Regard, Alex
    Thanks for the compliments, Alex. And also thanks for the suggestion of sending the pictures to Stanford. I have never thought of doing that, and I am now interested to give it a try and see what their response would be.