Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 381112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: pentax K-R start off

Default Re: pentax K-R start off

Quote Originally Posted by zackdeth View Post
    difficult in terms of adjusting and calculating>?
    just imagine your pop-up flash - if it DOESN'T read your shutter speed, ISO and aperture automatically, and you actually have to adjust the flash output level manually.

thats what a manual flash is all about. there is usually a table at the back that tells you the estimated flash level that you have to set based on the most common settings so its a trial and error effort. if too bright, dial down, if too dark, bump up. if need to change camera settings, must tweak flash levels again.

the YN manual flash is easy to adjust - its just a few buttons at the back for u to adjust the flash levels. the issue is the overall user-experience, esp if you are very new to this. u might find it a hassle.

imo, it makes sense to get a good flash, like one of the basic metz models. it lasts, it'll help u learn and it'll grow with you. a cheap manual flash will just become clutter when you realize that its not for u and u want to get a pttl one. u'll be paying twice.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysjerricky View Post
    Yup

I see,i have to try playing with it to have an idea.hahaha.

Second this. Here's the link in PF if you are interested. http://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/...roduction.html

As the reviewers have put it,

thanks bro..will do the read up!
    http://www.flickr.com/zackdeth/

I am currently using K-R with 18-55 and DA50mm/1.8

Am unsure to upgrade to k-30 (2nd hand) and get a either sigma 17-55/2.8 or tamron 17-50/2.8

Or..change to canon 550d/600d(2nd hand) and sell of my current set..reason being,
    -I like how the lcd screen can bring out and rotate etc
    -most friends of mine uses canon...we can use each other's lens..

Any suggestion, I need a non-biase suggestion ^.^

Thanks and have a nice day!

Am unsure to upgrade to k-30 (2nd hand) and get a either sigma 17-55/2.8 or tamron 17-50/2.8

Or..change to canon 550d/600d(2nd hand) and sell of my current set..reason being,

why the upgrade to k30? anything particular specs that you are interested and are in k30 and not kr?

as for sharing lenses with friends..what are the chances that you and your friends would go shooting together and need to use the same lens at the same time? also what lenses do you friend have which you think you will borrow?

yeah sure... when your friends jump ship to other brands you want to jump too, macam titanic very romantic la u

just focus to make good pics...

LBA won't get you anywhere...

Erm..Care to share on what you find the KR is limiting to you now?

Previously, we did recommend the K30 to you but you have decided the KR. Think most of the reason on having the K30 had been said.

For changing to Canon, it's up to you. Sharing of lenses is an great idea. But as Yamakasi has mentioned, you must take note of those points.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Pentax offer the most bang for the buck on the midlevel price range? You can roughly compare features at dpreview and snapsort.

Articulated LCD is a nice feature, but do you regularly encounter situations where it would've gotten you a shot you normally wouldn't have? Again it depends on your shooting style.

The one single reason that would be worth considering switching to Canon IMO is your ability to borrow friend lenses. But as Yamakasi said, ask yourself: which lenses do you plan on borrowing? Do you plan to continue borrowing or do you plan to eventually buy it? How often will your friends be available that you can borrow their lenses?

If you're planning on buying then you should also look at the current market price of the lenses and compare similar offerings first. Having a wide variety of lens options is just a marketing bullet point IMO. In reality, you wouldn't use all of them.

Though, there is one thing you can do when sharing a system with your friends. You all can drool and fantasize about the same lenses.

Sounds like u outgrew your current system so fast. Its better u understand what's your "needs" instead of what you "wants" if u don't have a good idea what u want to shoot. U be chasing gears that is not suitable for what "u want" to shoot. Its like giving a landscape shooter a 300mm lens n tell him lets go shoot landscape....

Zack,

A feature is a want and not necessarily a need. Good to have but are you sure you will use it very often? Last time because of budget, you bought the Kr which is a good camera in its own right but the K30 being newer, can do some things better, but there are users here who still use the Kx which is older than the Kr and have bought and invested in lenses rather than body.

I moved from a K5 to a K30 because I wanted the faster AF. All other features were similar to my K5. I invested in lenses to improve my photography. You must know what you want to shoot. Portrait, landscape or night scenes.

Portraiture needs F2.8 or better lenses to get the oomph effect or the bokeh. Landscapes require wide or ultra wide lenses. Night scenes can be taken even with the humble kit lens but adjusting the ISO and shutter and aperture.

I would like to invite you to join us on the 25th of Jan, which is next week as we have an outing so that you can try out the different lenses that we each have. From here you can roughly know which lens you most likely will use to replace your kit lens.
    Last edited by felixcat8888; 16th January 2014 at 08:48 PM.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

The door is always open for you zack, if u can borrow your friends canon 50 f1.2 then i salute u. If you can take that every year they come out with little tiny bit of extra feature to tickle u then good luck. I move from kr to k30 now k3 and never complained, I have bought good lens from nice people while those who got mine is very happy too! If you think others from other brand sell cheap 50s or 17-55 at 300 dollars then it is good
    Sony A7II FE 28 Zeiss 55 FE 90 Sigma 150-600C

Let me share something with you:

I was initially a canon 600D user. I was enticed to join in the camp by my friends for the same reason - sharing lense. However, what really happen is, I bought a sigma 17-50 (not cheap 2years back) and they kept on borrowing from me. They only have cheap kit lense and 50mm f1.8 which I already have to counter offer me. They told me no money buy lense. I felt cheated.

Then I chance abt Pentax and I bought k-r with tamron 17-50. And I felt that for my hobby usage (mainly portrait), Pentax system is so much affordable to maintain. And yes, I do miss the articulated screen from my 600D. But come on, a normal user only use like 10% of the time.

Moreover, when I go for the Pentax meeting, I made so many friends and even strangers whom I met for the first time were kind to lend me their prized lense to test out. We had a close knit community that no other camp can compared.

Having said all these, I do admit missing some of the feature that canon can offer. Things like FF camera bodies, easy lense rental service, wide choices of lense etc... Just remember that we are talking abt a camera system instead of camera bodies and expensive lense. Much more to consider. I upgrade from a k-r to a k30 and I'm contented. My lense collection had grew adequately to satisfy my hobby needs and I'm proud to stay as a Pentaxian.

I am currently using K-R with 18-55 and DA50mm/1.8 Am unsure to upgrade to k-30 (2nd hand) and get a either sigma 17-55/2.8 or tamron 17-50/2.8 Or..change to canon 550d/600d(2nd hand) and sell of my current set..reason being, -I like how the lcd screen can bring out and rotate etc -most friends of mine uses canon...we can use each other's lens.. Any suggestion, I need a non-biase suggestion ^.^ Thanks and have a nice day!
    550D does not have a rotating screen. If you want to, 600D is a viable choice but k30 has much better than IQ. But what do you want from the k30 that is not in the kr? I recommend upgrading lenses in case.

As for sharing lenses, do keep in mind that if you accidentally drop/break you friends' lenses, it will be quite difficult to rectify the situation (friendship, money, etc).

Would strongly encourage TS to join more pentax outings. It will allow TS to improve your skills n at the same time take a peek at what ppl is using.

1) Consider the scenarios in which you need the rotating LCD and estimate the frequency in which you will use it. Make sure u're not paying for something tt u won't use.

2) borrow lens from friend? It's an idea lor in practice, it seldom happens for various reasons, some already raised here. I don't do it and I know many pple who won't do it either - both lending and borrowing.

The K30 was mentioned in page 1 of this thread. You mentioned no budget. Has that changed?

If budget situation remains, you may be worse off now trying to sell an old KR. Lose money + need to spend more to upgrade. This holds true for K30 or any other camera body u want to "upgrade" to.

When I tried my office 550D, I found the high iso to be quite trashy compared to my old KX. I also don't like the handling but that's subjective.

To be blunt, u also have to ask yourself if the fact tt your shooting buddies are using canon is clouding your objectivity.

I am currently using K-R with 18-55 and DA50mm/1.8 Am unsure to upgrade to k-30 (2nd hand) and get a either sigma 17-55/2.8 or tamron 17-50/2.8 Or..change to canon 550d/600d(2nd hand) and sell of my current set..reason being, -I like how the lcd screen can bring out and rotate etc -most friends of mine uses canon...we can use each other's lens.. Any suggestion, I need a non-biase suggestion ^.^ Thanks and have a nice day!
    I think buddies are important, they could help you decide if you need to change to Canon 550 or 600. I think you need time to decide, suggest your buddy to exchange camera system for 1 week with your Kr and then play around w his Canon for 1 week, then you decide which one you like.

You seemed have no particular technical reason why you need to upgrade to K30, based on your posts here. If you have any technical reason or if you find that with Kr you can't achieve the shot quality you want, share here, then it would be easier to make a decision.
    GR,K2,K3, DA15Ltd, 10-24 f 3.5-4.5, K135 f2.8, K55 f1.8, Q, Q2K, Q10, 01020306,FA31,FA100WR

Quote Originally Posted by Yamakasi View Post
    why the upgrade to k30? anything particular specs that you are interested and are in k30 and not kr?

as for sharing lenses with friends..what are the chances that you and your friends would go shooting together and need to use the same lens at the same time? also what lenses do you friend have which you think you will borrow?
    any suggestion on which model i should upgrade to instead..?

hmmm any actually cause we all have different likes on lens.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanpriest View Post
    yeah sure... when your friends jump ship to other brands you want to jump too, macam titanic very romantic la u

just focus to make good pics...

LBA won't get you anywhere...
    no la.hahha.in my opinion,pentax is a lil more harder to find lens.haha
    or maybe i didnt search much

Quote Originally Posted by symmetrix View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Pentax offer the most bang for the buck on the midlevel price range? You can roughly compare features at dpreview and snapsort.

Articulated LCD is a nice feature, but do you regularly encounter situations where it would've gotten you a shot you normally wouldn't have? Again it depends on your shooting style.

The one single reason that would be worth considering switching to Canon IMO is your ability to borrow friend lenses. But as Yamakasi said, ask yourself: which lenses do you plan on borrowing? Do you plan to continue borrowing or do you plan to eventually buy it? How often will your friends be available that you can borrow their lenses?

If you're planning on buying then you should also look at the current market price of the lenses and compare similar offerings first. Having a wide variety of lens options is just a marketing bullet point IMO. In reality, you wouldn't use all of them.

Though, there is one thing you can do when sharing a system with your friends. You all can drool and fantasize about the same lenses.
    agree with the LCD part..It depends..
    Not to borrow for few days..only when we are together we can like exchange for a minute or two kind of thing .hahaha

pentax like has lesser people selling lens and stuffs in CS,i think.lol

Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888 View Post
    Zack,

A feature is a want and not necessarily a need. Good to have but are you sure you will use it very often? Last time because of budget, you bought the Kr which is a good camera in its own right but the K30 being newer, can do some things better, but there are users here who still use the Kx which is older than the Kr and have bought and invested in lenses rather than body.

I moved from a K5 to a K30 because I wanted the faster AF. All other features were similar to my K5. I invested in lenses to improve my photography. You must know what you want to shoot. Portrait, landscape or night scenes.

Portraiture needs F2.8 or better lenses to get the oomph effect or the bokeh. Landscapes require wide or ultra wide lenses. Night scenes can be taken even with the humble kit lens but adjusting the ISO and shutter and aperture.

I would like to invite you to join us on the 25th of Jan, which is next week as we have an outing so that you can try out the different lenses that we each have. From here you can roughly know which lens you most likely will use to replace your kit lens.
    I want to invest on pentax lenses,as I already have some idea on which lens to get.just that in the market,pentax items are lesser easier to find..and im a newbie,so i would probably not know the prices of the various lenses...posting with too low price might get me kena screw.hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by simon6z View Post
    The door is always open for you zack, if u can borrow your friends canon 50 f1.2 then i salute u. If you can take that every year they come out with little tiny bit of extra feature to tickle u then good luck. I move from kr to k30 now k3 and never complained, I have bought good lens from nice people while those who got mine is very happy too! If you think others from other brand sell cheap 50s or 17-55 at 300 dollars then it is good
    hmmmm.
    the lenses ur referring to is third party or normal?

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 381112131415 ... LastLast