Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Tripod for FZ5

  1. #1

    Default Tripod for FZ5

    Hello people...

    Just like to ask for recommendations for a tripod for my FZ5. My budget for the tripod is preferably below $100. My main purpose for getting the tripod is to allow me to take those night shots.

    Many thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    2,324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by utopwe
    Hello people...

    Just like to ask for recommendations for a tripod for my FZ5. My budget for the tripod is preferably below $100. My main purpose for getting the tripod is to allow me to take those night shots.

    Many thanks in advance
    FZ5 is very light, so any tripod should be able to support it.
    A light tripod is good when carrying it during shoot. However, the camera tends to shake easily whenever there is a gust of wind or during shutter press!
    Tripod too heavy, you have to endure the weight whenever you carry it.

    I go for the semi-heavy one (2.5kg). Coz pic quality is what I want! No point carrying a light tripod and have the risk of camera shake.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LifeWorld
    FZ5 is very light, so any tripod should be able to support it.
    A light tripod is good when carrying it during shoot. However, the camera tends to shake easily whenever there is a gust of wind or during shutter press!
    Tripod too heavy, you have to endure the weight whenever you carry it.

    I go for the semi-heavy one (2.5kg). Coz pic quality is what I want! No point carrying a light tripod and have the risk of camera shake.
    hmm... any specific model that you can recommend?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    2,324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by utopwe
    hmm... any specific model that you can recommend?
    Can't recommend any la. You might want to look at the SLIK series instead. Do a search in the forum or Net or perhaps the FZ5 owners can let you know what tripod they are using and their experience with it....

  5. #5
    Senior Member dominator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Amazon Forest
    Posts
    1,662

    Default

    budget less than $100 can go for slik sprint pro gm? good, small, light and compact for the FZ5.
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NTU and Wdls
    Posts
    2,622

    Default

    I'll suggest you the Slik Spring Pro, not the mini edition.
    for me, if i get a heavy tripod it defeats the purpose of getting the FZ5 in the 1st place (portable + good picture quality).
    Heavy tripods, IMHO, are for places with big wind. Overseas, I've been to places where wind is so strong that they'll push you a few steps if caught unawares. Sg got no such wind.
    The other day, i climbed to the highest point in NTU. Wind was blowing, (enough to blow my lens cap up and strap flapping). The SSP, fully extended on 4 legs, was v v stable. I took the below..
    What I saw (i tried my best to get the effect..)

    What the FZ 5 saw (8 seconds, F2.8, downsized)

    Crop of what FZ5 saw (downsized)

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NTU and Wdls
    Posts
    2,622

    Default

    oh btw.. the slik sprint pro - $85, though dominator got it for $79 i think...
    Just to let you know, both of us got the same config : which is to add 1 more manfrotto quick release adapter. speeds up removal of tripod and stuff.. +$30 ($28 for dominator, but his looks... different)

  8. #8

    Default

    thanks for the recommendation... Actually I be bringing the tripod over to Europe for my backpacking... but dont think the wind will be that strong bah....

    notice u r from ntu... which year? I was from ntu too... graduating this july... hee hee

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NTU and Wdls
    Posts
    2,622

    Default

    heh heh Year 3. CE.
    Feel free to look for me in hall 2 if u wanna haf a look at the tripod that I haf.
    For all practical common sense in me, i'd think lighter the tripod the better.. hmmm maybe u'll want to look at the mini instead.. it's lighter by quite a bit i think.. but unstable if fully extended..

    heh i suggest u spend some time learning how to use the cam.. i learnt abit b4 i went hk last year.. end up 1st 2 days the photos like sh*t, then the next 8 days they get better.. but ok lar, i was in full Aperture mode all the time..

  10. #10
    Senior Member dominator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Amazon Forest
    Posts
    1,662

    Default

    yup i got it for tripod $79(Peninsula Plaza 2nd floor forgot name) and Manfroto quick release $28(TCW, Peninsula Shopping Ctr).
    Should be one of the best price you can find around...

    now is it slightly over your budget of $100??
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

  11. #11

    Default

    I got one of those cheapo tripod for $28 for my FZ5. Comes with a quick release plate that also have the ball head thingy. The bad thing about this is that the ball head sratches the camera when I accidentally turn the camera.
    Anyone can tell me how to prevent that? Now I actually stick some film to it to protect the cam.

    Beside that, it works fairly well. Here's the result:

  12. #12
    Senior Member dominator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Amazon Forest
    Posts
    1,662

    Default

    actually all tripod can work well.
    only when your equipments are heavy, such as with long lens, windy locations...you need something to suit you.
    for travelling i wonder how many people will bring along their more 2kg tripod and imagine if they are explorer with backpack!
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NTU and Wdls
    Posts
    2,622

    Default

    I concur. a $28 tripod can do very well. Tripod issues really occur only when you have a DSLR + a long lens (IMHO). but really, I've not seen one with ball head that cost below $50..
    amazing.. can post a pic of ur tripod? LOL and can share where to buy it?

  14. #14

    Default

    anyone gg to get the slik sprint tripods? if go together will get a better bargain?

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NTU and Wdls
    Posts
    2,622

    Default

    look for josephteo.. think he's gonna get 1...

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vstrom
    I got one of those cheapo tripod for $28 for my FZ5. Comes with a quick release plate that also have the ball head thingy. The bad thing about this is that the ball head sratches the camera when I accidentally turn the camera.
    Anyone can tell me how to prevent that? Now I actually stick some film to it to protect the cam.
    steinsizer brand from mustafa? saw one the other day...
    cheap, $35 with QR plate and spirit level....but the legs are abit wobbly when unclamped. but once you tighten them, they are ok.
    for the price, you get a removable ball head with QR plate c/w spirit level and you can do low level macros.
    too many shots...

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unseen
    I concur. a $28 tripod can do very well. Tripod issues really occur only when you have a DSLR + a long lens (IMHO). but really, I've not seen one with ball head that cost below $50..
    amazing.. can post a pic of ur tripod? LOL and can share where to buy it?
    Erm.. I dun really know whether you can call it a ball head. It's the square piece of plastic that u screw to your camera. Than next to it, there's a metal ball. For what purpose, can someone enlighten me?

    It's the yellow "nikon" tripod which I'm sure alot of nikon user know. Free gift from AP, I think. Can't find on Nikon website, maybe it's some pirated product from china. Anyways.. it's light and serve it's purpose.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NTU and Wdls
    Posts
    2,622

    Default

    ermz.. no no it's not a ballhead..
    ball head looks something like that..



    big difference...

  19. #19

    Default

    Opps.. my bad!!

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NTU and Wdls
    Posts
    2,622

    Default

    LOL it's ok.. anyway ballhead and the panheads work v differently.. i used a ballhead then fell in love wif it.. ease of use is (for me) no. 1!! heh i end up using pan head like a ball head by losening all the things and tighten them when i need..
    tot could find a cheap one to keep as spare..

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •