Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bags to use for cycling n keeping camera?

Default Bags to use for cycling n keeping camera?

Hi
    Anyone here who cycle and wanna ride n take photographs on the way?
    Which bag would u recommend for this activity?
    thanks in advance

I used to have a Lowepro Minitrekker AW backpack that I used when I cycled.
    Since it's a backpack I didn't have quick access to my equipment.
    So I just sling my camera over my shoulder during rides, with the strap shortened so my legs or any part of the bike will not come into contact with the camera or lens.
    The furthest I've cycled with 3 lenses, camera, tripod, and other accessories was from Bedok to the Esplanade, and back.

any camera backpack should do the trick. i have gone cycling with a crumpler farmers double. it can take cameras, notebook, as well as space for other necessities such as clothes water bottle etc...

Actually those Crumpler Messanger (sling) bags are ok.
    They were designed to be used by messengers on bikes
    ( the third leg ) So try a messenger style camera bag from them, should work fine

You can be creative. Just use any outdoor/deuter/tatanka bag. Carry your bag in front of you rather than behind you. When photo opportunity comes, just brake, open zip, take out camera and shoot. : )

hmm okie
    thanks a lot then!

I am waiting for my TIMBUK2 bag to come in from the US. On top of that, I bought a camera padding that fits snuggly into the bag so for street photography purposes I can carry a D70 + Kit Lens + 70-300mm. When I finally receive it I'll prolly snap a shot for you to take a look ya. :O

Quote Originally Posted by fisheye
    I am waiting for my TIMBUK2 bag to come in from the US. On top of that, I bought a camera padding that fits snuggly into the bag so for street photography purposes I can carry a D70 + Kit Lens + 70-300mm. When I finally receive it I'll prolly snap a shot for you to take a look ya. :O
    great!
    u also cycle?
    haha

Depends on the camera u r using. I use a Lowepro OffTrail and Topload Zoom with the corresponding chest harness with my SLRs.

Pros:
    * Compact enough.
    * Fast, front access
    * Stable (doesn't hinder the legs' movement like a messenger bag)

Cons:
    * Can't fit large zooms mounted on the camera. (Use a separate back pack for larger lenses)
    Last edited by chaltan; 1st June 2005 at 12:16 AM.

I use a lowepro orion mini fanny pack. Can fit my G3, plus wallet, handphone, keys, spare batteries, money etc. Easy to open and whip out the camera even while I am still cycling.

i was going to introduce Timbuk2 too... but kinda Exp... Locally there's a few shops that carry them, but not in full range.

Ordering from Timbuk2 website ensure that you can custimize ur own bag !! =)

I think the choice of bags really depends on the type of cycling you are talking about.

the requirements for cycling around town in Singapore vs those of unsupported cycle-tourling is very different.

I have done some of the laters, and those handle-bar bags is really handy .. however, that is good for road cycling only. I used one on a trail for a 5 days cycling trip, that brackets broke halfway and it cause hell of inconvenients to me.

On another incident, I was using a backpack on a scenic route, the frequent need to stop and take-out-camera-and-shoot and put it bag is also very annoying ..

So at least to me, it is a compromise between convenience and equipment protection and a lot of other factors.

agreed
    i use it more for road cycling.
    camera safety is one priority
    the other will be the ease of whipping the camera out of the bag
    still cant decide on the kind of bags

anyone knows where to buy pads for bags ?
    cos i rather use my deuter bags
    as its safe n can store quite a lot of stuff including fat lenses

but hard to get the cam out though

hi, promised to show my Timbuk2... so here goes.

got the extra camera padding for 50 bucks, can't fit much, but it works for a street photographer. With this bag, i carry my d70 everywhere i go.

hi, promised to show my Timbuk2... so here goes.

got the extra camera padding for 50 bucks, can't fit much, but it works for a street photographer. With this bag, i carry my d70 everywhere i go.
    where do u get ur bag + the camera padding? how much does each of the item cost??

check out: http://www.fallfactor.com/

This is the only place i know that customs timbuk2 bags (otherwise you can do it online but it's more expensive). mostly you can custom the colors and the size, depending on your needs. Conincidently he is also the agent for Ortlieb, and he helped me import a part (the padding) of one of the Ortlieb bags. Problem is this comes only in one size.

his shop is opposite queensway, you can find the address on the website.

i got the timbuk2 for about 145 and the camera casing for 50.

check out: http://www.fallfactor.com/

This is the only place i know that customs timbuk2 bags (otherwise you can do it online but it's more expensive). mostly you can custom the colors and the size, depending on your needs. Conincidently he is also the agent for Ortlieb, and he helped me import a part (the padding) of one of the Ortlieb bags. Problem is this comes only in one size.

his shop is opposite queensway, you can find the address on the website.

i got the timbuk2 for about 145 and the camera casing for 50.
    www.fallfactor.com
    cannot find server

I use a Crumpler Wonder Weenie (it is a regular messenger bag with an extra stabilizing chest strap) and put use the Bunion Insert.

One DSLR with grip, one wide angle lens, one 70-200mm lens, flash, a point and shoot camera, plus spare items go into it just fine.

Hi, may i know where did u get the Crumpler Bunion Insert??

yar, interested to know where u get the Crumpler Bunion Insert too.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast