Thread: Lens to take close up pic of moon?

Default Lens to take close up pic of moon?

Hi

I'm new here. Recently got myself a new toy, the Nikon D5200. Been playing with a 30x zoom point and shoot camera.

I read that the 30x zoom is equivalent to 720mm. I am able to take closeups with it but i want my DSLR to do an even better shot as in even closer to the moon's surface.

Is the 650-1300mm zoom lens at ebay able to do the job? Pardon my noobness please.

Quote Originally Posted by AWDay View Post
    Hi

I'm new here. Recently got myself a new toy, the Nikon D5200. Been playing with a 30x zoom point and shoot camera.

I read that the 30x zoom is equivalent to 720mm. I am able to take closeups with it but i want my DSLR to do an even better shot as in even closer to the moon's surface.

Is the 650-1300mm zoom lens at ebay able to do the job? Pardon my noobness please.
    That's a cheap telescope. I would suggest you look into renting a good lens and a 1.4 or 2x converter. Look at the many existing moon shot threads we have here to get an idea of what the setup is that people used.
    Alpha

Default Re: Lens to take close up pic of moon?

Close-up means something like 20cm or less between lens and object. Now, how did you achieve this?
    For further reading check the sub forums for Night photography: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85
    Last edited by Octarine; 23rd October 2013 at 12:18 AM.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by AWDay View Post
    Hi

how you achieve the "30x zoom" is because you take the longest focal length divided by the shortest focal length of the camera's lens.

so the 650mm - 1300mm lens is only a 2x Zoom lens.

FYI

given the fact that u previously used 30X PnS to shoot moon I supposed, maybe you can try rent a 400/2.8 + 1.4X teleconverter.

Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful guys here. I will readup and research.

Actually thats where your 30x small sensor actually excels at getting closer than your DSLR because of the small sensor size.

In any case you may probably want to get a nice long prime with some teleconverters as well. I think some legacy Nikon (Nikkor) lenses and m42 mount primes may be an inexpensive way to shoot the moon. (If you see any rabbits on the moon, please let me know)
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Blog Entries

500mm f4?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    500mm f4?
    how about a 10 - 5000mm F1.2L?

Last edited by kei1309; 24th October 2013 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    No red ring no elite feels. ;-)
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    how about a 10 - 5000mm F1.2L?

Haha, u superimposed? Thought it is real if not for the supports.