Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which type of photographer are you? One who prepares, or one who takes randoms?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post

As if

But probably you whack really hard because you already know what you wanted... Did the thinking at home liao, go to the scene and just whack!
    Learnt from Tungtong. Think at home in your own time. When shooting, do not think. Just feel and whack.

Default Re: Which type of photographer are you? One who prepares, or one who takes randoms?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Learnt from Tungtong. Think at home in your own time. When shooting, do not think. Just feel and whack.
    Huh? Isn't this School 1 already? You already think a lot at home
    Like Ed says, looks like don't think when shooting but actually think a lot already before the shoot.

In my opinion, the experienced photographers can think very fast and easily on the go, so it doesn't look like they are thinking - just "whack". Those of us who are not, better spend some time to think more - because we are not experienced yet.

Thinking can also be post-shoot. After shoot already, analyze what went on, then re-try again. For me, this is also School 1, and more suitable for beginners.
    Last edited by wildcat; 25th October 2013 at 09:41 AM.

Default Re: Which type of photographer are you? One who prepares, or one who takes randoms?

If I want to go and shoot anything in the street, unplanned for... I use my mobile phone

If I take the trouble to bring my OMD or 7D... I do plenty of planning before going out. But that is just me.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post

Huh? Isn't this School 1 already? You already think a lot at home
    Like Ed says, looks like don't think when shooting but actually think a lot already before the shoot.

In my opinion, the experienced photographers can think very fast and easily on the go, so it doesn't look like they are thinking - just "whack". Those of us who are not, better spend some time to think more - because we are not experienced yet.

Thinking can also be post-shoot. After shoot already, analyze what went on, then re-try again. For me, this is also School 1, and more suitable for beginners.
    Bro look at first post.... I think TS's definition diferent la.

IMO, it still boils down to knowing the basics of photography and composition as well as being familiar with the equipment.
    Then the 2 types of photographer you mentioned is the same thing.

W/o the basics, #1 think long long is still no use. and can't even adapt to the situation when at the site itself.
    W/o the basics, #2 will just 'fail' on the spot.

There are many respectable school #1 shooters, but not sure whether they can handle test type #2, many have "died properly" in those situations (eg. very good at portraiture but failed completely at a wedding).

However there are also rubbish school #2 shooters, who just whack, and say everything is "reportage", "photojournalistic" etc... bleh, even pj style need a good concept on what is pj to the eyes of the viewer.

At the same time there are those guys who talk about concept & planning, etc, act like they are school #1, but actually shoot zero. These guys are even worse then the rubbish school #2 shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by surrephoto View Post
    At the same time there are those guys who talk about concept & planning, etc, act like they are school #1, but actually shoot zero. These guys are even worse then the rubbish school #2 shooters.
    Why that? People who think about a concept and its different aspects are necessary, not executing the concept does not shame them. In which way would not shooting anything harm anyone? Or do you deny a landscape photographer any opinion about a wedding shoot?
    EOS

There are many respectable school #1 shooters, but not sure whether they can handle test type #2, many have "died properly" in those situations (eg. very good at portraiture but failed completely at a wedding).

However there are also rubbish school #2 shooters, who just whack, and say everything is "reportage", "photojournalistic" etc... bleh, even pj style need a good concept on what is pj to the eyes of the viewer.

Hmm... If school #1 fails at wedding shoots, then which schools can take proper wedding shoots?

Quote Originally Posted by iguanavon View Post

Hmm... If school #1 fails at wedding shoots, then which schools can take proper wedding shoots?
    Actually I would say wedding belongs to school 1.5 in this manner
    Sigma 2470 & 70200 f2.8 | EM1 | Oly 1240 f2.8 | EM5 | Oly 1250 | Pana 45150 | Ricoh GRD IV

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Why that? People who think about a concept and its different aspects are necessary, not executing the concept does not shame them. In which way would not shooting anything harm anyone? Or do you deny a landscape photographer any opinion about a wedding shoot?
    My description does not cover shooters who may be able to shoot multiple schools of thoughts with varying proficiency. but yes, many a times these make-belief school #1 shooters have little to show but attempt to justify that they are of a higher level than real respectable school #1 shooters through talk.

With regards to wedding photography, you could be either school #1 or #2 or #1.5 depend on your choice or expertise and market based on that. But i realized solid school #1 shooters usually command a higher price and respect. & certainly many out there do well in both schools of thought!

My description does not cover shooters who may be able to shoot multiple schools of thoughts with varying proficiency. but yes, many a times these make-belief school #1 shooters have little to show but attempt to justify that they are of a higher level than real respectable school #1 shooters through talk.

With regards to wedding photography, you could be either school #1 or #2 or #1.5 depend on your choice or expertise and market based on that. But i realized solid school #1 shooters usually command a higher price and respect. & certainly many out there do well in both schools of thought!
    Once you're well-versed in School #1, you can whack away like School #2 and still produce very good results

Just got back from Bangkok. Seems Im very skewed to school #2, just whacked and snap. But I'm quite happy with my own results, especially from Maekhlong Railway Market. :-) Irregardless of what school you are from, I do believe that self-satisfaction is important too, i.e. be happy with your shots you take.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123