Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Course on fashion photography

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Yee
    hmmm, this is interesting.

If the instructor did have the first session as a briefing or on the theory or tips, followed by the shoot, it should look fine. In fact, practical sessions are meant for participants to have on the "ground" hands-on.

You may like to observe how the instructor instruct the model, what equipment or accessories he used etc. Sometimes in life, not everything is spoon fed. Different people teach differently. Sometimes, it is impossible for the instructor to meet everyone's expectation, just like the same logic where the instructor cannot expect everyone to meet his expectation as students, as every student progress at a different rate.

The moral of the story is, if one has doubts, ask questions. Don't keep quiet and suffer in silence.

Though I do not teach fashion, I personally feel that the practical session is needed. Photography needs hands-on practical sessions.

Just my two cents worth.
    To add further on what you said, it's good that the instructor took some photos as well. Since you want to learn from the instructor, isn't it good that he/she participate in the shoot too? This way you can compare 1 on 1 photos you shot with his.

Practical and review sessions are the most valuable part of the course. Theory is always theory. I am sure you want to see as well what the instructor is capable as well. All talk and no action is an easy job.....

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    Imagine yourself witnessing this scenario. say, one is undergoing a fashion photography course conducted locally. in one session is an outdoor shoot of a female model. the instructor came with a camera as well as participants too. the way the session was conducted was like a typical paid model shoot. there were no theme, no mention of clothings and accessories, poses to accentuate the clothings, etc. there was not even a reflector available, if one is needed.

After witnessing, what are your impressions?
    Maybe the instructor was waiting for instructions to be instructed?

none. in fact, the outdoor shoot was a last minute arrangement. the original schedule was a classroom session.
    this is actually a very important point. it might have mentioned it in the first post, i think the responses would have been different.

since the shoot was last minute (not even part of the course) i personally would have been ok with it. since the amount i pay for the course doesn't include this, this is actually a bonus.

think of it an informal hands on with friends. albeit it's with course mates and the instructor is there. no diff. it doesn't have to be done as a proper course shoot should be as it's not in the schedule of events

vince123123
    Guests

but perhaps the original poster preferred a taught classroom lesson rather than an unguided model shoot?
    Quote Originally Posted by obviousdude
    this is actually a very important point. it might have mentioned it in the first post, i think the responses would have been different.

since the shoot was last minute (not even part of the course) i personally would have been ok with it. since the amount i pay for the course doesn't include this, this is actually a bonus.

think of it an informal hands on with friends. albeit it's with course mates and the instructor is there. no diff. it doesn't have to be done as a proper course shoot should be as it's not in the schedule of events

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    Maybe the instructor was waiting for instructions to be instructed?
    I think this is an unfair statement.

This particular shoot is part of a series of "modules", and should be put into its broader context.

Lightbulb

let me help clear the air.

the said outdoor model shoot was not a 'bonus' shoot as might have been perceived. in all honesty, i do not think that we will be given one extra session free on top of the six sessions in the course outline.

in the course schedule, that day was a in-class session. i have no problem with last minute changes. actually, i enjoyed shoots, studio or outdoor more than in-class sit-down instructions. however, on that day, the instructor appeared 'not well prepared' for the outdoor shoot. it is fine with me if the instructor wants to shoot too. it is the 'quality' of instruction that i am not comfortable with. or it could be just me?

however, on that day, the instructor appeared 'not well prepared' for the outdoor shoot. it is fine with me if the instructor wants to shoot too. it is the 'quality' of instruction that i am not comfortable with. or it could be just me?
    Having been a teacher of some sorts for >16 years, I would find it difficult to make any "judgement" based on the information you provided. There are many teaching styles. I am not "protecting" this instructor. I have absolutely no idea who he is. But wait a while before you make a judgement. At the end, whether the instructor is good or not(to you, that is) rest on one final "end-point". And that is whether you have learnt or achieved the purpose of this course, for you.

To a pure newbie, the course may be overwhelming. But to some with some experience behind him/her, the course may be a disaster and a complete waste of time.

I think while all attendees should benefit, such courses will always benefit some more than others. Therefore evaluation should be based on the overall "achievement", taking into account such factors like expectation and experience of attendees.

Any impt point to rem is that there is only 1 instructor and maybe 6 or more students? So it's difficult for him/her to communicate clearly what he does to all of you. Perhaps the best people to gauge whether you over-reacted is to ask your fellow students?

Quote Originally Posted by student
    I think this is an unfair statement.

This particular shoot is part of a series of "modules", and should be put into its broader context.
    I hope "The Instructor" whom I suspect who he is will take this a bit kinder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12