Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Course on fashion photography

Lightbulb Course on fashion photography

Imagine yourself witnessing this scenario. say, one is undergoing a fashion photography course conducted locally. in one session is an outdoor shoot of a female model. the instructor came with a camera as well as participants too. the way the session was conducted was like a typical paid model shoot. there were no theme, no mention of clothings and accessories, poses to accentuate the clothings, etc. there was not even a reflector available, if one is needed.

After witnessing, what are your impressions?

if it was a paid course...
    i would probably ask for a money back..
    or be so damm pissed and vow nvr to attend another course organized by e same pp..

will be damn pissed off ... but then again should find out before signing up

Lightbulb

more to share your impression?

care to share where is the course?

What is your role here? photographer or student??

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    Imagine yourself witnessing this scenario. say, one is undergoing a fashion photography course conducted locally. in one session is an outdoor shoot of a female model. the instructor came with a camera as well as participants too. the way the session was conducted was like a typical paid model shoot. there were no theme, no mention of clothings and accessories, poses to accentuate the clothings, etc. there was not even a reflector available, if one is needed.

The answer is obvious.

What is your REAL question? What is your REAL intention in asking this question?

Orrr... Liddat harrrr... Liddat hor, shoot will be shoot. But the 'thing' is how well the instructor gives tips on improving my photos as well as how he reviews each piece of photo.

I suppose u've got theory lessons or wad before dat liao and ur practical model shoot u are suppose to use all that is taught to 'unlearn what you had learnt'. U want the instructor to go there tell u all, "Hello kids. Today hor, we are going to learn fashion shoot! First of all, must use aperture priority, and den hor the focus point muz be on the model's eyes and den hor the poses got a few type, like dis lah, like dis lah..."

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by student
    The answer is obvious.

What is your REAL question? What is your REAL intention in asking this question?
    i have no real question to ask. i only want to gauge my expectations vs those who responded to see if mine are too high or unreasonable. the pre-requisite for this course is basic photography.

Lightbulb

more upz.

no words from the course instructor before the shoot? briefing and things like that? or were you told of what to expect in your previous lesson?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    no words from the course instructor before the shoot? briefing and things like that? or were you told of what to expect in your previous lesson?
    none. in fact, the outdoor shoot was a last minute arrangement. the original schedule was a classroom session.

did u check what was the course structure like and more importantly who the instructor was. Does he do fashion or is he just another guy who teaches for pay without having the background on the doing. Too many of those today.

i have no real question to ask. i only want to gauge my expectations vs those who responded to see if mine are too high or unreasonable. the pre-requisite for this course is basic photography.
    In that case, what you had described is not a course, UNLESS, teaching had been done previously, and now the students are "let loose" to put what they learnt into practice. And perhaps afer this shoot, there might be a post-morten to analyse how well the students had learnt.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by ellery
    did u check what was the course structure like and more importantly who the instructor was. Does he do fashion or is he just another guy who teaches for pay without having the background on the doing. Too many of those today.
    yes, i did have the course structure. it looked decent. i was told who the instructor will be but i do not know about the instructor beyond the name.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by student
    In that case, what you had described is not a course, UNLESS, teaching had been done previously, and now the students are "let loose" to put what they learnt into practice. And perhaps afer this shoot, there might be a post-morten to analyse how well the students had learnt.
    it is a six lessons course and we have completed 1/3 of it. yes, maybe, we will have a post-morten in the coming week/s.

it is a six lessons course and we have completed 1/3 of it. yes, maybe, we will have a post-morten in the coming week/s.
    Then give them a chance and evaluate after the course.

hmmm.... i think i know where is the course... we'll see ..

vince123123
    Guests

hmm is it the 19120303 course?

hmmm, this is interesting.

If the instructor did have the first session as a briefing or on the theory or tips, followed by the shoot, it should look fine. In fact, practical sessions are meant for participants to have on the "ground" hands-on.

You may like to observe how the instructor instruct the model, what equipment or accessories he used etc. Sometimes in life, not everything is spoon fed. Different people teach differently. Sometimes, it is impossible for the instructor to meet everyone's expectation, just like the same logic where the instructor cannot expect everyone to meet his expectation as students, as every student progress at a different rate.

The moral of the story is, if one has doubts, ask questions. Don't keep quiet and suffer in silence.

Though I do not teach fashion, I personally feel that the practical session is needed. Photography needs hands-on practical sessions.

Just my two cents worth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast