Thread: Sigma DG series Lenses?

Default Sigma DG series Lenses?

Sigma seems to be making a lot of their lens into digital optimized DG Lenses to produce better image quality on digital sensors. My question is, does these DG Lenses cater to cropped sensor only, or does it cater up to a full frame sensor such as the 1DsMk2...?

Not tat I have a 1DsMk2, but just like to know b4 I bite the bullet...

10 Sigma DG Lenses

Quote Originally Posted by RossChang
    Sigma seems to be making a lot of their lens into digital optimized DG Lenses to produce better image quality on digital sensors. My question is, does these DG Lenses cater to cropped sensor only, or does it cater up to a full frame sensor such as the 1DsMk2...?

Not tat I have a 1DsMk2, but just like to know b4 I bite the bullet...

10 Sigma DG Lenses

i think the DG this more for users with both film & digital SLR since it has a full image circle. can also be use on smaller sensor but i think the DC ver will give u less weight & bulk in that respect. from some inside news, sigma lenses is not very much different from one another, eg. 105mm DC & DG r the same thing except DC is smaller. glass elements also the same. if u r budget tight, 105mm DG or DC is one of the better lenses to get.

Quote Originally Posted by nightpiper
    i think the DG this more for users with both film & digital SLR since it has a full image circle. can also be use on smaller sensor but i think the DC ver will give u less weight & bulk in that respect. from some inside news, sigma lenses is not very much different from one another, eg. 105mm DC & DG r the same thing except DC is smaller. glass elements also the same. if u r budget tight, 105mm DG or DC is one of the better lenses to get.
    DG is more for both film and digital?... tot DG is the Digitally optimized version of the lens? then what's the different between, say for example, the APO 100-300mm F4 EX IF HSM and the APO 100-300mm F4 EX IF HSM DG in terms of optical attribute?

But... hmm... if both DG and Non-DG still produce a Full Frame image circle, I think it doesn't matters much to me now...

DC is only for APS-C.

Below is from Sigma website regarding DG:

"The DG designation applied to certain newer Sigma lenses (mostly wideangle and wide zoom type lenses) indicates that the lens is especially suited for use with digital SLR cameras. The DG lenses feature improved (more even) light distribution from image center to edge, especially at maximum aperture, compared to conventional fast wideangle lenses. This is important in digital photography, but is also useful in 35mm photography, especially when slide film is used. Also, the shorter focal lengths are desirable, because most digital SLR cameras have image sensors whose dimensions are considerably smaller than a 35mm negative (usually by a factor of 1.3X to 1.7X), making the lensí angle of view equivalent to that of a longer lens on a 35mm cameras."

Quote Originally Posted by AlvicTay
    DC is only for APS-C.
    DC or DG?..........

There are DC and DG.... DC is make for APS-C only.

Quote Originally Posted by AlvicTay
    There are DC and DG.... DC is make for APS-C only.
    Ahhh... so if I were to use the lens on both digital and film, then practically I should avoid the DC lens, but DG is still all right... no?...

the 500 and 800 haven been released yet....muhahah.. no pricing also..

Default DC or DG

If u are using full frame digital camera such as the 1DS or the 1DS Mk II or a film body, the DC lens will not be suitable. In short the DC lens is for digital camera with sub-full frame sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by RossChang
    Ahhh... so if I were to use the lens on both digital and film, then practically I should avoid the DC lens, but DG is still all right... no?...

DC lenses are for 1.5crop, 1.6crop FLM bodies only, using it on a 1.3 or FF will result it severe vignetting.

DG lenses on the other hand, can be used even on FF bodies. From what I know, the only difference between it and a non-DG is a special coating that is being applied to the lenses to reduce flare and some reflections to the digital sensors.