Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panasonic DMC-GM1K Hands On Preview

Default Panasonic DMC-GM1K Hands On Preview

Coming hot on the heels of the DMC-GX7, Panasonic just announced an ultra compact DMC-GM1. An extremely small m43 camera big with features.

The Ultimate DSLM (Digital Single Lens Mirrorless) Camera in Ultra Compact Size
    New LUMIX GM Series
    Packing Highest Level of Photographic Performance Desired for a Digital SLR

Panasonic is proud to announce a new premium compact line GM series to its LUMIX Digital Single Lens Mirrorless (DSLM) cameras with the DMC-GM1 with large Digital Live MOS Sensor based on the Micro Four Thirds system standard. The new GM series boasts not just its outstandingly compact profile but its high functional performance for ultimate picture quality.

The DMC-GM1 realizes high-quality image recording with real-to-life details through excellent resolution, image rendering and color reproduction. Taking full advantage of newly developed 16.00-megapixel Digital Live MOS Sensor and Venus Engine, images are rendered with highly sharp resolution even shot in low-lit situations and at max. 25600 high ISO sensitivity can be selected.

The Contrast AF System of DMC-GM1 excels in both speed and accuracy by exchanging digital signal between the camera and the lens at max. 240 fps. A variety of extensive AF functions including Low Light AF, Pinpoint AF and One-shot AF enhances usability to comply with wide-ranging shooting situations. The touch-control system integrated in the 3.0-inch large approx.1036K-dot high resolution monitor immediately lets users to set focus to the subject by just touching it on the screen and you can even release the shutter. It is free and easy to enlarge the target point with fingertips to set precise focus.
    The DMC-GM1 also features full HD 1920 x 1080, 60i (60 Hz) / 50i (50 Hz) high quality video recording in AVCHD and MP4* with stereo sound. The practical full-time AF and tracking AF is available in video recording, too. The cinema-like 24p video with the bit rate of max. 24 Mbps or P/A/S/M mode provide richly expressive afterimage with overwhelming image quality.
    The DMC-GM1 incorporates popular Creative Control mode with a total of 22 fascinating filter effects in addition to Time Lapse Shot, Stop Motion Animation or Clear Retouch. The Stop Motion Animation allows producing unique stop motion video and the Clear Retouch function enables to erase unwanted part of a picture after shooting – both operations completes with ease in camera.
    With the Wi-Fi® connectivity, users can connect the camera to their smartphone / tablet to expand shooting flexibility. It is also possible to use a smartphone / tablet as a multi-capable remote shutter with a monitor. With the Instant Transfer function, photos are automatically sent to the smartphone / tablet right after shooting. On the other hand, both photo and video can be archived to the registered digital equipment such as PC automatically via the wireless access point (router) at home.

There are a lot of ingenious inventions that let DMC-GM1 accomplish this marvelous downsizing. The unit mechanism of shutter is redesigned to newly integrate a motor instead of spring, which allows removal of charging structure inside the unit and resulting in approx..80% reduction in its unit’s size. The conventional digital single lens mirrorless camera has a structure that settles a frame to support the sensor unit over the main unit frame. However, by adopting the magnesium alloy for the main unit, the DMC-GM1 allows direct attachment of the sensor unit to reduce parts. Despite its ultra compact profile, the DMC-GM1 is equipped with built-in flash(GN5.6 ISO200m / GN4.0 ISO100m) which is enough useful for daily snapshots. This is made possible by an adoption of newly developed sliding pantograph-type strobe that vertically pops up and down. By optimizing the layout of electronic components with high density mounting, the circuit board is able to have a cutout saving approx.30% in space for the sensor unit to fit into. This also helps achieve total volume reduction of internal content.

The DMC-GM1 comes equipped with decently designed parts including three-strand aluminum dial or high quality artificial leather grip. Especially the combination with the newly released digital interchangeable lens LUMIX G VARIO 12-32mm/F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / MEGA O.I.S. (H-FS12032) makes perfect match which even satisfies trend-sensitive users to carry around stylishly. On the other hand, the DMC-GM1 allows attachment of Hand Grip DMW-HGR1 (black/silver, sold separately***) to enhance strength of gripping.
    Packing high photographic performance in sleek, ultra-compact body, the DMC-GM1 is offered in stylish black, traditional silver, noble white and classical orange. There are moments in life deserves to be captured – the DMC-GM1 turns every user across genders, across generations into a life artist.

Size Compared to Nokia Lumia 920

The GM1 kit that I received comes with the new H-FS12032 lens. A versatile lens which covers the 24-64mm range in FX format. For new users of m43, this kit lens paired with the very capable 16MP sensor may be enough for most shooting requirements for a long time.

Some test shots :-

12mm f/3.9 1/60 ISO400 - Slight Curve at 12mm

18mm f/8 1/2s ISO200 - Image Stabilizer works pretty well

32mm f/11 1/5s ISO200 - Details at minimum focusing distance

Default Re: Panasonic DMC-GM1K Hands On Preview

ISO Comparison DMC-GM1 vs DMC-GX7 - click on the image for 1:1

ISO200

ISO400

ISO800

ISO1600

ISO3200

ISO6400

Since I have the items set up, I tried some shots on HI1 and HI2 on D800E for the fun of it.

ISO12800

ISO25600

Thanks for sharing , was looking forward to this review. Can confirm if the GM1 can do long exposure shots and the accompanying noise levels ?

Given its size and that it's runs the GX7 sensor , the GM1 looks quite good so long as it's priced attractively.

Quote Originally Posted by keithwee View Post
    Thanks for sharing , was looking forward to this review. Can confirm if the GM1 can do long exposure shots and the accompanying noise levels ?

Given its size and that it's runs the GX7 sensor , the GM1 looks quite good so long as it's priced attractively.
    Too bright day to do landscapes now. Here's a simple watch shot. Click the image for full res.
    It's able to do long exposure up to 60s. Price is USD799 for the kit according to amazon.

ISO200 30s with Low Shutter Noise Reduction

ISO200 30s without Noise Reduction

ISO200 40s with Noise Reduction

ISO200 40s without Noise Reduction

surprising the amount of noise without long exposure NR is so much at iso 200 and 400
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

Quote Originally Posted by robotech View Post
    Too bright day to do landscapes now. Here's a simple watch shot. Click the image for full res. It's able to do long exposure up to 60s. Price is USD799 for the kit according to amazon. ISO200 30s with Low Shutter Noise Reduction ISO200 30s without Noise Reduction ISO200 40s with Noise Reduction ISO200 40s without Noise Reduction
    Thanks for helping noise level is decent enough with NR as after all I see the GM-1 as a entry model , not at the standards of a flagship model like GX7.

60 second is a bit bit short though.

Nice watch by the way

Quote Originally Posted by keithwee View Post
    Thanks for helping noise level is decent enough with NR as after all I see the GM-1 as a entry model , not at the standards of a flagship model like GX7.

60 second is a bit bit short though.

Nice watch by the way
    Glad you like the watch

With the same sensor and magnesium body as the GX7, the GM1 is definitely not an entry level camera.
    Image quality is similar to the GX7 as the ISO Tests revealed.
    I would say this is a premium camera for the market segment that wants style, performance and portability.
    The difference between the the GX7 and GM1 are very minute but the GM1 gives you a very portable camera with maybe 90% of the features of the GX7.
    Last edited by robotech; 17th October 2013 at 06:45 PM.

ya,

just realized i was seeing the GM1 in the wrong segment, my mistake to assume smaller body should be in a more mass mkt segment. Editor just updated in the MFT forums that the GM1 is supposed to be in the premium segment.

ok.. now i'm a bit mindblown haha, if its a premium segment body, my expectations will be much higher as I'll be comparing it to the likes of the EP5, or at least the EM5. hmmm..

Blog Entries

Great review bro robotech!

Consumers are so spoiled for choice nowadays!

I wonder if there will be another package that only have offer the body only. lol
    http://saboramos.wordpress.com/
    Olympus EM-5 / EP-2 / 17mm / 45mm / 12-50mm l Minolta X700

Quote Originally Posted by ricleo View Post
    surprising the amount of noise without long exposure NR is so much at iso 200 and 400
    Even the EM-5 has plenty of noise at low ISO, the splotchy variety.

those are hot pixels, and a bane for m43. so must on Long exposure NR. keep the review coming robotech! any chance u have the 15/1.7? surprise lens!

Blog Entries

Good Job Robo ! more !
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

tbh the ISo is pretty good for this cam. if not for the price i'd buy it. way too ex at USD 799

Quote Originally Posted by wonglp View Post
    those are hot pixels, and a bane for m43. so must on Long exposure NR. keep the review coming robotech! any chance u have the 15/1.7? surprise lens!
    Haha..don't have the 15/1.7. Sorry man.

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    Good Job Robo ! more !
    Thanks. More coming later.

12mm f/9 1/30s ISO200

12mm f/3.7 1/80s ISO200

20mm f/5.6 1/60s ISO1600(Auto)

32mm f/11 1/400s ISO200 (Impressive Art Filter)

12mm f/11 1/640s ISO200 (Impressive Art Filter)

hope to see more..
    camping here..

any chance you can compare the size of the GM1 to E-PM2 or E-PL5?..

when i used the camerasize tool to compare..
    the GM1 doesnt look much smaller..
    it's probably 1cm smaller in terms of height and width..

Quote Originally Posted by vengels View Post
    hope to see more..
    camping here..

any chance you can compare the size of the GM1 to E-PM2 or E-PL5?..

when i used the camerasize tool to compare..
    the GM1 doesnt look much smaller..
    it's probably 1cm smaller in terms of height and width..
    I think what really makes the camera small is the use of that pancake zoom lens that looks like one heck of a miniaturization effort.

Quote Originally Posted by NazgulKing View Post
    I think what really makes the camera small is the use of that pancake zoom lens that looks like one heck of a miniaturization effort.
    no chance to see it yet..
    looking from videos and images it does look really small..

but so far no one has place it side by side with the E-PM or E-PL.. (at least i can't find it..)
    only see it being placed side by side with LF1, RX100 and one reviewer even compared with Fuji X-A1 with 16-50mm lens..

would be interesting to have it as a 2nd body..
    i think it will really be pocketable with the 14mm lens..
    Last edited by vengels; 18th October 2013 at 10:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast