Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: nus vs ntu ?

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeusExMachina
    Having come from both schools, NUS for me BA and NTU for my MSc, I can tell you NUS is much more rigorous, you will be tortured twice as much to get the same grade, but you will learn twice as much, depends on how you want to play the game. And the food in NTU SUXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX BIG TIME. Plus its practically Siberia so make sure you've got transport well thought out.
    how can you compare MSc course structure to BA course structure. that's comparing apple with orange.

    really? the food sucks? you got to be picky about food.
    i was at NUS for 5 months during industrial attachment and i don't find the food there excellent either.
    Maybe you don't know that Canteens B and 2 are renovated and some stalls at Canteen A had changed. There's even MacDonald's at Canteen A now.

    yeah, i agree it's really ulu. but hostel staying is fun and there is Jurong Point about 25 minutes away.
    Last edited by mervlam; 21st May 2005 at 06:15 AM.

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mervlam
    how can you compare MSc course structure to BA course structure. that's comparing apple with orange.

    really? the food sucks? you got to be picky about food.
    i was at NUS for 5 months during industrial attachment and i don't find the food there excellent either.
    Maybe you don't know that Canteens B and 2 are renovated and some stalls at Canteen A had changed. There's even MacDonald's at Canteen A now.

    yeah, i agree it's really ulu. but hostel staying is fun and there is Jurong Point about 25 minutes away.
    Yes, you're right, a Masters is supposed to be easier than a bachelor's.

    Cheers, whatever.

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeusExMachina
    Yes, you're right, a Masters is supposed to be easier than a bachelor's.

    Cheers, whatever.
    erm, let this not escalate into another ntu/nus battle.

    The food, no matter how good it is, will taste not so good after a few years of eating it day in day out.

    I believe that the teaching methods are rather different for both unis. If its more inclined towards the natural abilites of a particular student, he will find it more managable.

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    B.Timah, New york, SoCal.
    Posts
    930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cosycatus
    I think you shouldn't be so concerned about the pros and cons of NTU or NUS, BUT you should be more concerned about how majoring in Lit is going to help u enter journalism.

    Journalism accepts everyone. We have writers in Straits times that have a Ph.d in the physical science ( Andy Ho), Tan She Er ( who graduate with a degree in music and is doing her Ph.D in some strange subject now.) and the usual variety of degres.

    And because they do take in people from a wide variety of backgrounds,you have to be really good if you do not have a relevant degree in mass comms or info comms.
    Think along this line and plan how you can enter journalism.

    The way i see it, the insitution having a long or short history, doing a honours in 3 or 4 years, bigger or smaller cohort, closer or further prof relationship, being the pinoneer batch or not, etc etc does not matter at all.

    Or do you really know u want to enter journalism?


    Hello...

    My 2 sons had the same trouble with you about 6 - 8 years back, deciding which university to go to.. with my elder son wanting BADLY to do journalism. At that point of time, NTU's communications program was up and coming, and was the most likely choice for his field of study.

    Well... what i can offer here is advise on behalf of what my 2 sons went through, and found out during the course of their degrees, one journalism, the other Poli sc /econs......

    1. Ok.. firstly, this sounds kind of far fetched.. but ask yourself... WHERE would you like to work after you graduate with your degree presumably, journalism.

    2. Make a list of companies that you would hopefully be interning at, with the hope of applying to,

    3. Most impt part: go and find out more about the employees there, job scopes and employment trends.

    Reason: You want to know where the company u wanna work at, is hiring its employees from.

    During both my son's time, singapore's press industry/media co-operation were ONLY giving "desirable" posts to overseas grads, particularly their own scholars. Now, it seems like it's still very much so, or even worse with the increase in govt scholarships? and foreign talent from what i heard. maybe i'm wrong.. but that seems to be the impression i get from our newspapers.


    In other words, you want to find out how "worthy" your degree is to them and whether it will help you attain the position you want within that company, especially with the amount of scholars our govt is sending overseas.

    This doesn't have to degenerate into an NUS vs NTU fight here, but in my honest opinion, finding out how much your degree is "worth" for your employment in the future, really is the issue.

    Both my sons ended up coming to the west coast of ang moh land to do their degrees, and here's the farney part:
    the eldest one applied to our local media coy for a post related to his degree (journalism). He got rejected as the post was only reserved for their own "bonded" personnel. Ironically, he's, now he's working with me within the same press company (diff depts) within Northern california, company name i cannot mention, but CNN's our biggest competitor.

    Well.. you really have to know where u want to go especially nowadays, with more and more foreign talent coming into singapore.... A degree nowadays won't get you ANYWHERE in my opinion, judging from increasing number of degree holders from both the unis locally and in aussie.

    As an old ah pek within this vocation for donno how long, and as a father of 2 sons within the same field, if you really want to know about journalism/media studies within the USA, drop me a message, and i can give u a brief insight into the schools here that offer EXCELLENT programs.

    Good luck
    Last edited by F5user; 21st May 2005 at 02:18 PM.

  5. #25

    Default

    F5user is right. I keep telling people that I'm a BA(NUS) and MSc(NTU) but my degrees are not recognized locally.

    IMHO, the scholar system leaves much to be desired. Scholars are funded and thus registers as an investment of sorts. To get an ROI on the scholar he/she is bonded and promoted to higher and higher responsibilities to make good on the investment, somewhat regardless of aptitude, attitude or endeavour, as long as they do not do anything disastrously silly.

    Thus arises the problem of non-scholars being sidelined and scholars being unhappy serving out their bond. Subsequently, our talent pool of non-scholars will leave the country for greener pastures and shrink the knowledge base in Singapore which inevitably leads the government to import foreign talent thereby worsening the problem for local non-scholars.

    In terms of talented LOCAL Singaporeans, we are bleeding to death slowly, through no fault of our own. We have a great number of talented individuals but they are not given a chance.

    Having spoken to a friend who emigrated, whom SM Goh would consider a "quitter", my friend said in no fewer words, "I have tried and tried and tried. I still love SG but I have no future here."

  6. #26

    Default

    hi all

    would like to know what exactly are the career opportunities for arts and social grads? thinking whether to take up NUS arts and social... hmmmmmm...

    whats all about the bidding of modules and stuffs? how it works? thanks..

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    B.Timah, New york, SoCal.
    Posts
    930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chocfondue
    hi all

    would like to know what exactly are the career opportunities for arts and social grads? thinking whether to take up NUS arts and social... hmmmmmm...

    whats all about the bidding of modules and stuffs? how it works? thanks..
    You go NUS website check la.... i'm sure they have a FULL help list on class selection/bidding.

    As for career opportunities, that one.. hard to say... really depends on what you want to do next time.

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeusExMachina
    F5user is right. I keep telling people that I'm a BA(NUS) and MSc(NTU) but my degrees are not recognized locally.
    huh why so? and yo no matter how much the food sucks it can't beat the food in my jc!

    mervlam: actually i plan to go on to do masters, which is why i'm so keen on taking hons.. by the way my teacher told me it's better to go nus because cross-fac courses are flexible there and he said cross-fac is very important b ut didn't say why, do you know why it's important?

    f5user: that's alot of research to be done! i have no moolah to fly over there and do my studies, gotta stick with local ones singapore's press industry is quite small ... other than sph i can't think of any others

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografia
    huh why so? and yo no matter how much the food sucks it can't beat the food in my jc!

    mervlam: actually i plan to go on to do masters, which is why i'm so keen on taking hons.. by the way my teacher told me it's better to go nus because cross-fac courses are flexible there and he said cross-fac is very important b ut didn't say why, do you know why it's important?

    f5user: that's alot of research to be done! i have no moolah to fly over there and do my studies, gotta stick with local ones singapore's press industry is quite small ... other than sph i can't think of any others
    Dude, I would love to tell you a fairytale, that go and do your degree in NUS get good grades and you will get a great paying job and get to do your Masters, after which you will be champion of the world.

    Unfortunately, it doesn't work this way, at least not in Singapore. More likely, you will graduate with a Merit as most people do, spend 6 months looking for a permanent position then get depressed and work at temp or contract positions to feed yourself. If you're lucky, the temp position may turn permanent and you'll spend the next few years getting shat on. Then you will think that you may finally get the respect you deserve with a masters degree and apply for it. Then you find out that 700 other people, most of which have better grades than you are applying for the same 40 positions. And if by divine intervention you get in and by further miracles you graduate, you will find yourself back in the same position you started out in, jobless and insulted by the replies of the hundreds of resumes you are destined to send out.

  10. #30

    Default

    hahaha yo that's a depressing outline! i'll try to steer clear of it aye!

    but anyways thanks to everyone who has enlightened me one way or another! i've kinda made up my mind, lotsa to y'all!

    p.s. deus ex machina: not dude, dudette!

  11. #31

    Default

    so, what's the choice did u make?

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    B.Timah, New york, SoCal.
    Posts
    930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeusExMachina
    Dude, I would love to tell you a fairytale, that go and do your degree in NUS get good grades and you will get a great paying job and get to do your Masters, after which you will be champion of the world.

    Unfortunately, it doesn't work this way, at least not in Singapore. More likely, you will graduate with a Merit as most people do, spend 6 months looking for a permanent position then get depressed and work at temp or contract positions to feed yourself. If you're lucky, the temp position may turn permanent and you'll spend the next few years getting shat on. Then you will think that you may finally get the respect you deserve with a masters degree and apply for it. Then you find out that 700 other people, most of which have better grades than you are applying for the same 40 positions. And if by divine intervention you get in and by further miracles you graduate, you will find yourself back in the same position you started out in, jobless and insulted by the replies of the hundreds of resumes you are destined to send out.
    Somehow my sons' classmates, and nephews seemed to be trodding down this same path... sigh.... and seriously, everytime the gahmen says that our economy is "picking up," i think of the above, especially for our fresh grads who have to fight not only amongst our fellow countryman, but the new influx of "foreign talent" our country so desperately "needs" for its restructuring.

  13. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografia
    hahaha yo that's a depressing outline! i'll try to steer clear of it aye!

    but anyways thanks to everyone who has enlightened me one way or another! i've kinda made up my mind, lotsa to y'all!

    p.s. deus ex machina: not dude, dudette!
    Ok, dudette, just know this, there are no longer any promises or clear cut lines to success in SG these days (unless you're a scholar), everything is grey and the only constant in these hard times is yourself. Create your future by your own hands, entrust your future to no one and assume nothing. Guy/girl/pretty/ugly/rich/poor whatever, no one owes you a living (unless you're a scholar), thats up to you to create and a BA from NUS puts you ahead by only a hair's breadth and a Master's maybe 2 hairs.

  14. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeusExMachina
    Ok, dudette, just know this, there are no longer any promises or clear cut lines to success in SG these days (unless you're a scholar), everything is grey and the only constant in these hard times is yourself. Create your future by your own hands, entrust your future to no one and assume nothing. Guy/girl/pretty/ugly/rich/poor whatever, no one owes you a living (unless you're a scholar), thats up to you to create and a BA from NUS puts you ahead by only a hair's breadth and a Master's maybe 2 hairs.
    Actually, I personally do know of a media "scholar" (who grad fr with excellent results fr a US uni) from a huge media company who's not only earning peanuts, he's basically sorta "ill-treated" & "stuck" there with a 10-yr bond. Maybe he's plain unfortunate & a rare case but my pt is, it seems tt scholars may not always enjoy "a smooth sailing career" either... & I'm pretty sure he's not the studious-nerdy type of scholar who only knows how to score well. Well, I guess it's juz pure bad luck for him...
    ~ 迷失的我仍在努力寻找属于自己的蓝天 ~

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    153

    Default

    lucks plays a role

    a degree gets to be considered in private sector
    a honour degree gets to be considered in public n private sector

    so i think got for the best , after it is your rice bowl

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •