Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Haywire system.

Quote Originally Posted by w.s
    i'm hoping it will last till the end of the year b4 i upgrade. so for the moment, it's on, off, on, off, curse and swear, on, off, curse and swear, on, off curse and swear, on, off curse and swear, on, off, on...

do post ur findings if u find out wht's the cause k?
    Unplug the power connector from your DVDRW, CDRW, unplug all unused USB devices. If you are using USB keyboard/mouse, use the PS/2 connector instead. This is trying to cut down the power consumption and see if your PC give you immediate power on or not.

[QUOTE=espn]My current PSU rating is 400W, I suspect it's either the motherboard or the PSU, anyway, I've already bought an Aopen 350W PSU. I don't think it's insufficient for my current rig, so will see how, I know one cannot scrimp on PSU quailty.

No, that's not the problem. I have the same problem 2 weeks ago.
    It is the Window, look like you have to reinstall window operating system or wait for Microsoft to sent you the update. Is yr system on regular window update and fault reporting mode. If not, keep that on, as window operating system still have plenty of bugs.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by ST_sg
    Unplug the power connector from your DVDRW, CDRW, unplug all unused USB devices. If you are using USB keyboard/mouse, use the PS/2 connector instead. This is trying to cut down the power consumption and see if your PC give you immediate power on or not.
    There's power, the CPU's, chipset's fan, is all moving. Just that it won't go up to bios even. After multiple reboots and pulling out of cables etc, then I managed to get it up.

Forgot to mention I'm running 4 x 80mm fans within the casing too and a neonlight tube as well heehee.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhpe3159
    It is the Window, look like you have to reinstall window operating system or wait for Microsoft to sent you the update. Is yr system on regular window update and fault reporting mode. If not, keep that on, as window operating system still have plenty of bugs.
    Erm, I can't even boot to bios. If I can't even get past bios, how can it be Windoze fault? (Don't worry, I still hate M$.)

[QUOTE=Rhpe3159]
    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    My current PSU rating is 400W, I suspect it's either the motherboard or the PSU, anyway, I've already bought an Aopen 350W PSU. I don't think it's insufficient for my current rig, so will see how, I know one cannot scrimp on PSU quailty.

He claims that his PC not even able to boot pass CMOS/BIOS, no POST beep. This is far reach the OS stage right?
    Canon 40D|17-55 f/2.8 IS|100 f/2.8 Macro|135 f/2L|300 f/4L IS|430ex|BG-E2

There's power, the CPU's, chipset's fan, is all moving. Just that it won't go up to bios even. After multiple reboots and pulling out of cables etc, then I managed to get it up.

Forgot to mention I'm running 4 x 80mm fans within the casing too and a neonlight tube as well heehee.
    Yup. That's why I suspect your PSU not stable enough to pump sufficient juice to the entire system.

Worst still, you have so many gudgets fighting for power...

The early URL is good... give it a try to calculate how much power your system requires.

Update: just an estimation for you...
    Recommended PSU: 448W (280W on +3.3v & +5v rails) for:
    -1 x Motherboard without onboard devices
    -6 x Fans (including PSU fans)
    -8 x Memory (128MB DDR)
    -1 x Graphic Card
    -1 x with powerful 3D Accelerator
    -1 x PCI Sound
    -1 x PCI Network Card
    -2 x HDD
    -1 x CD-RW
    -1 x DVD
    -1 x Floppy
    -3 x USB devices
    -1 x Keyboard
    -1 x Mouse
    -CPU: AMD K8 2.0 GHz Athlon 64 with 1,024 KB L2 Cache @ 1.50 V
    Last edited by ST_sg; 19th May 2005 at 05:57 PM.

Deregistered

But it's weird I ran the same configuration 2-3 years ago and all the while it's working fine, suddenly cannot support?

But it's weird I ran the same configuration 2-3 years ago and all the while it's working fine, suddenly cannot support?
    Don't forget 2-3 years ago you don't have a DVDRW drive there

Default System

That's right becos window gone haywire and cannot recognised the system configuration, cos BIOs corrupted.

Now its time to BUY BUY BUY new system heheheheheh

heh... i strongly believe ur mobo has given up on u liao.... it has finished its duty as a personal computer... its lifespan is over and has join to the ranks in the skys of heaven above.

come, stand beside me... get a new comp.... hehe.. a new one onli $800 +++ onli.. plus upgrades wun even reach 1.5k lor.. come on... think of ur D2x !!! u need a faster comp to post process 12mp pics !!

Deregistered

I already bought a A8V Deluxe with A64 3000+. But now after installing Win2K and the VIA chipset, it still cannot allow me to change my resolution beyond 800 x 600.

Now surfing the net off my laptop. Sigh. Any solutions? I hate troubleshooting my own system, I got no patience for it.

for video problems, install powerstrip which can override any existing settings to force the resolution you want.

I think u need a higher watts PSU

Deregistered

erwinx: thanks! I found out it's that I never installed the service packs so the VGA controller and USB controllers cannot be installed properly, now my video is working fine, am able to run the resolution I want.

simon80: I think so too... maybe will sell this one and get a 450 or something.

erwinx: thanks! I found out it's that I never installed the service packs so the VGA controller and USB controllers cannot be installed properly, now my video is working fine, am able to run the resolution I want.

simon80: I think so too... maybe will sell this one and get a 450 or something.
    For new OS installation, here the SOP.
    - boot up from CD
    - Select partition to install (Format is optional unless brand new HDD)
    - finish OS installation, reboot
    - VERY important, once boot into brand new WinXP, pop-in your Mobo CD and install the chipset driver, reboot
    - install Graphic driver, reboot
    - install sound driver, reboot
    - install network interface driver, reboot
    - Since you are already in Win2k/WinXP, need not to worry about USB driver.
    - You are done and should have a safe copy of WinXP OS installed successfully.
    - The rest just your Apps, fine tuning stuff...

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by erwinx
    for video problems, install powerstrip which can override any existing settings to force the resolution you want.
    Powrstrip is a powerful display tool. Improper use/setting might harm your display hardware... for normal display usage, not advisable to touch this tool.

IIRC if unable to set higher resolution, that's due to its graphic card driver not install or get corrupted. Reinstall / install a new version of driver set will solve the issue.

Hope this helps

Deregistered

For new OS installation, here the SOP.
    - boot up from CD
    - Select partition to install (Format is optional unless brand new HDD)
    - finish OS installation, reboot
    - VERY important, once boot into brand new WinXP, pop-in your Mobo CD and install the chipset driver, reboot
    - install Graphic driver, reboot
    - install sound driver, reboot
    - install network interface driver, reboot
    - Since you are already in Win2k/WinXP, need not to worry about USB driver.
    - You are done and should have a safe copy of WinXP OS installed successfully.
    - The rest just your Apps, fine tuning stuff...

Hope this helps
    Yup I did just that, but the VGA controller and NIC (GB Lan) and USB controller depends on SPs to be installed, I was a bit nervous and anxious to get it up (as with all my other systems) so I kept pondering why my res cannot go above 800 x 600. Once SP1 was installed, everything was Ok.

I got a new HDD to do the installation on, a 200GB... finally I can store all I need, now is to seriously consider RAID 1 or not. If long run, am considering RAID 5.

how old is your motherboard? have a quick check if any of the capacitors are bulged or leaking. there were many cases of mobos being crippled by faulty batches of capacitors a while back...

Deregistered

It's about 3-4 years old, initally for 2 years+ I ran the system 24/7.

Yup I did just that, but the VGA controller and NIC (GB Lan) and USB controller depends on SPs to be installed, I was a bit nervous and anxious to get it up (as with all my other systems) so I kept pondering why my res cannot go above 800 x 600. Once SP1 was installed, everything was Ok.

I got a new HDD to do the installation on, a 200GB... finally I can store all I need, now is to seriously consider RAID 1 or not. If long run, am considering RAID 5.
    To set up RAID, you need to reinstall WinXP again, and you need to get ready your RAID driver during initial setup process. (Press F6) or something... IIRC.

How about 2 x SATA RAID 0 = 300MB/s speed
    But, once a HDD failed, all gone

RAID 1 = is just mirroring / redundancy, not speed / performance gain.

RAID 5 = is the best solution with mirroring + striping.
    You will need a good RAID-5 PCI controller card, ie. Promise SATA S150 SX4
    http://www.promise.com/product/produ...product_id=112

BBB

Deregistered

To set up RAID, you need to reinstall WinXP again, and you need to get ready your RAID driver during initial setup process. (Press F6) or something... IIRC.

How about 2 x SATA RAID 0 = 300MB/s speed
    But, once a HDD failed, all gone

RAID 1 = is just mirroring / redundancy, not speed / performance gain.

RAID 5 = is the best solution with mirroring + striping.
    You will need a good RAID-5 PCI controller card, ie. Promise SATA S150 SX4
    http://www.promise.com/product/produ...product_id=112

BBB
    Yeah, I'm looking at redundancy, if my system is just for surfing net etc, I don't mind RAID 0, but too bad, I need RAID 1. I don't mind resetting up WinXP, currently using PATA still, no faith with SATA though my board supports both, still not too bad.

Thought of RAID 5 for total redundancy, at least, I can SLEEP at night!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast