View Poll Results: Shoot RAW or Jpeg for Events?

Voters
166. You may not vote on this poll
  • RAW

70 42.17%
  • Jpeg

82 49.40%
  • Doen't matter

9 5.42%
  • Client decide... not me

5 3.01%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoot JPEG or RAW for events?

Blog Entries

file -> save as -> select tiff formet -> click OK

for me... hobby shoots always in JPEG, sometimes also NEF, depends entirely on the situation.

but for events, usually is JPEG, unless its impt ones.. den i will go for NEF..

I rarely shoot raw... usually I do that only when shooting billboards. Simply too time consuming to process each and every image!

As for problems with under- or overexposure, I guess this is where a background in film photography comes handy - it trains you to the point where you *never* make any gross errors in exposure calculation. Believe it or not, with enough practice you'll rarely have to do major surgery in contrast/brightness

Phildate
    Guests

I used to think that RAW post-processing was time-consuming. Until the new CS2 Raw Plug-in that is. It is super speedy and much quicker than trying to sort out a JPEG. Will shoot RAW for all events now, this makes it easier to have a consistent WB and exposure for all shots.

Better go get me some more 2GB cards!!

Hmm .. I was a happy shooter on jpeg until one event ... that screwed up the WB and cant fixed back the skin tone. Since then I have been shooting RAW and never look back, conversion to jpeg for me is easy so long as I get the correct exposure. Min... PS done
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

I think RAW or JPEG it depends on your DSLR. When I was using S2 Pro, JPEG is good enough. Now on D70, I find RAW is better, also because the RAW converter are faster and easier to use nowadays.
    DR KOH KHO KING

I don't even shoot JPEG Fine. JPEG Normal is more than good enough most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG
    Hmm .. I was a happy shooter on jpeg until one event ... that screwed up the WB and cant fixed back the skin tone. Since then I have been shooting RAW and never look back, conversion to jpeg for me is easy so long as I get the correct exposure. Min... PS done
    It is also possible to alter the white balance (or colour balance) on jpegs. I like raw but it isnt practical for events where card capcity is crucial. Raw is a flexi. standard but not fast enough for my digital darkroom. Why the extra space when it is not needed?

See my mood.

Got mood, shoot JPEG all the way.
    Feel very on, shoot RAW.

My Mac's PS is struggling under the load of RAWs I used to shoot last time. Now I juz shoot JPEGs, open up PS, adjust contrast, highlights/shadows, USM and I'm done.

Have always been using Jpeg for events. No error so far on lighting etc. But if clients insist, will surely comply; but will advise them on the size of the files they will be getting at the end of the day -- they better have fast computers otherwise it might be a pain for the client just to view the large edited files one at a time when there could be hundreds.

I'm new to dSLR, have not really tried RAW, still shooting Jpeg... will see how is it...
    From Pentax to 4/3, back to Pentax and then back to M4/3 !?!?

I shoot only Jpg.. only RAW on some difficult scenarios. (Eg poor lighting, conditions, precious moments etc)

JPEG coz I don't have CS

RAW only when I wanna blow it up really huge, or when I need to crop(cuz no money for super-long lens)

Most of the time its JPEG(6MP, FINE) for me.. ...

I mean processing really take time. I prefer being a photographer, knowing my system, and practise untill exposure/WB is abt there... ...

Default Re: Shoot jpeg or raw for events

Jpeg most of the time. Big Group shoots in high ceiling areas must definite Raw. Or else troublesome and difficult to explain to customers why there is a need to re-shoot

i tink it really depends on one's preferences and limitations of card space and all...

used to be jpg, now raw.. that's why i only have a lousy 4mp cam.

for my s3 i still shot in jpg... those who own it will know why lar..

Due to speed I tend to shoot JPG unless that extra detail is needed. Besides the dogs dont complain about thier fur bieng out of place...
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

While RAW post-processing is a time consuming process, I shoot exclusively in RAW and it saves me a lot of hassle. This way I don't have to worry about the white balance during the photo shoot, especially with rapidly changing Singapore weather, when one minute it's a sunny day, the next minute it is cloudy. During photo shoot I don't have to worry about picture styles, sharpening, sRGB vs. Adobe RGB either. Even minor exposure mishaps can be corrected in RAW converters. So during event you can concentrate more on your subjects, composition, lighting, etc.

And there are nice RAW workflow programs out there on the market, such as C1, which allow mass-processing of RAW files with merely few mouse clicks.

I would shoot RAW+JPEG though, if I had to send results immediately, or if I was overseas on trip without a laptop and needed to print right away in photo lab.

Quote Originally Posted by freelancer
    The other point is that with RAW you have the digital negative. When improvements are made to raw software in the future, you can always go back and regenerate a much better image quality. jpeg on the other hand is a one way destructive process where the camera will decide how an image will look. For casual snap shots where you do not expect to post process the image, jpegs are still recommended. Or if you are new to digital image post processing, I would also think jpeg is the easier approach to things
    abit like shooting film versus shooting polaroid...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast