Thread: Any good place to learn Studio lighting photography?

Wink Any good place to learn Studio lighting photography?

I would like to become a studio wedding photographer or even a pet photographer.

Any recommendations for any good courses with good instructors? Is it necessary to work as a photography assistant beforehand? Any advice about getting into this career also welcome. Thanks.

Blog Entries

it is best to work as an assistant to learn how an experienced photog will light a subject, if you do it everyday it will stick in your head, and you will get to see and do lighting for many different subjects, not only what is in the textbook.

and you can also change employers to learn a whole new way of lighting.

if you want official courses, can try PSS. I think SLCC also have... do a search or look at the threads.

Studio lighting is meant both as a substitute for natural lighting and as a source of lighting that we can control. What's your knowledge of natural lighting like?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    it is best to work as an assistant to learn how an experienced photog will light a subject, if you do it everyday it will stick in your head, and you will get to see and do lighting for many different subjects, not only what is in the textbook.

and you can also change employers to learn a whole new way of lighting.
    thanks, do you know what are the qualifications (or course requirements) to work as an assistant?
    Last edited by ilovedalmatians; 20th May 2005 at 07:40 AM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32
    if you want official courses, can try PSS. I think SLCC also have... do a search or look at the threads.
    thanks, let's say if I go ahead and take classes in Studio Lighting (5 lessons), and Wedding Photography (5 lessons) in PSS, am I qualified to be a studio photographer?

Is this what current studio photographers go through? Or do they take other classes as well?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Reflection
    Studio lighting is meant both as a substitute for natural lighting and as a source of lighting that we can control. What's your knowledge of natural lighting like?
    thanks, I have only taken classes in basic black/white photography, basic colour photography, and basic digital photography.

By natural lighting, do you mean lighting under outdoor conditions. I have limited knowledge about that, I only know about using reflectors as a fill-in light source.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovedalmatians
    thanks, do you know what are the qualifications (or course requirements) to work as an assistant?
    Able to understand English & Chinese, possess class 2 & 3 driving license, preferably own a class 2 transport, must be strong and fit, willing to work hard and long hour, interest on photography.

thanks, let's say if I go ahead and take classes in Studio Lighting (5 lessons), and Wedding Photography (5 lessons) in PSS, am I qualified to be a studio photographer?

Is this what current studio photographers go through? Or do they take other classes as well?
    Well you can….., as long you have enough clients and jobs to sustain you.

thanks, I have only taken classes in basic black/white photography, basic colour photography, and basic digital photography.

By natural lighting, do you mean lighting under outdoor conditions. I have limited knowledge about that, I only know about using reflectors as a fill-in light source.
    You need to know more than this.....

Not only just natural light, is about available lights.

Photographer should able to see the light, know the light, modify the lights and use the light. Camera is just a tool to capture or record it.

Hope this help.

To answer your question. It's yes and no.

Taking the course at PSS will mean that you know your way around studio, metering, set up the lights etc. So theoritically, you can be and is already a studio photographer.

However, if you are hoping for paid jobs, you will probably need more exp. Working as assistant is an effective way as you get to learn how the pros work.

Alternatively, get books, attend more courses, shoot some models/still life etc on your own until you are confident enough....