Thread: Archiving photos.

Default Archiving photos.

I just found out this Sony product

http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/product/br...-d77u/overview

From what I think, it's not quite worth for me. I rather keeps my data on a passport external 2TB hard disk or NAS (raid 1) If got problem, also can retrieve easily. What about you, would you get one just for home use?
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Default Re: Archiving photos.

Well, it was discussed already extensively that RAID is not a backup. Your external drive can count as backup.
    The question is not only on how fast you can access your backup data normally, but also in case of a technical fault. Let's assume the actual data carrier (disk) is intact, but the rest of technology fails: how fast can you retrieve the data? Today? In 2 years? In 10 years?
    I had the read/write version of such a drive (Magneto-Optical Disk) for office use many years ago. Very useful because of its robust system with disk cartridges.
    EOS

They refuse to openly tell you the price.
    You should smell a rat.
    The ODS-D77U hardware plus the individual optical discs may be so horribly expensive that it does not make sense.

One more thing. Sony seems obsessed with DRM.
    Sony sacrificed its own 1 decade lead (minidisc) on the industry and handed the multi-billion $ music recording cake to Apple on a silver platter.

So expect the software of this thing to give you some problems in copying and moving the data around, even if you are owner of the images.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 13th October 2013 at 02:23 PM.

As I (planned) for a month holiday doing time lapse in Europe, I might be ended up with 3 to 4 TB of data (RAW or cRAW, depends) on my external hard disk. I thinking of either a huge media or just keeping them (files) on the disk and safe keep them. But this device seem like costing a lot, as the only backup system with huge capacity. The choices which I got now are (1) Attach to my desktop permanently (2) Attach to a NAS permanently (3) Transfer all files to a 4TB HDD in NAS/Desktop, keep the 2 drives in dry cabinet. My best choice is (3) as I could reuse the portable HDD again for future time lapse.

Have a nice Sunday btw.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    You should smell a rat.
    The ODS-D77U hardware plus the individual optical discs may be so horribly expensive that it does not make sense.

Sony sacrificed its own 1 decade lead (minidisc) on the industry and handed the multi-billion $ music recording cake to Apple on a silver platter.

So expect the software of this thing to give you some problems in copying and moving the data around, even if you are owner of the images.
    You seem to enjoy living a decade in the past. The failure of mini disc and the success of Apple has NOTHING to do with Sony trying to implement drm. In fact, apple is massively drm-restricted while modern Sony players are among the best and most open solutions.

It's time for you to get your head out of the sand, come down from your mountain, and update your knowledge before spouting even more nonsense.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    I just found out this Sony product

http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/product/br...-d77u/overview

From what I think, it's not quite worth for me. I rather keeps my data on a passport external 2TB hard disk or NAS (raid 1) If got problem, also can retrieve easily. What about you, would you get one just for home use?
    Do note that's a broadcast-specitic solution. I'd prefer a nice mirrored raid setup any day.

As for the reason there is no price listed, this is not because of "a rat" like some paranoid conspiracy theorists living a decade in the past seem to think, but rather since this is a professional piece of equipment, the pricing is offered to their broadcast solution partners directly depending on purchase volume.

Do note that this may be a groundbreaking concept too extreme for mountain tortoises to understand.
    Alpha

Enterprise-level gear like this is a little overkill for home use unless you're incredibly wealthy.
    The previous gen-1 model - ODS-D55U is S$8721 (US$7000) nia
    A 1.5TB Write-Once Optical Disc Cartridge will cost S$350.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    You should smell a rat.
    You made my day
    On a site note: please have some minimum knowledge about the topic you want to talk about. Wild guessing and paranoid assumptions do not count as knowledge.
    EOS