Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Part-time photographer

  1. #1
    Senior Member alwaysjerricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    +65
    Posts
    2,016

    Default Part-time photographer

    Hi CS-ers,

    As my holidays are coming up, I would like to spend some time taking events photos. I am not very experienced and would just like to use this opportunity to gain some experience and a little portfolio. I have tried sourcing this forum but most of the people under "Photography Services Directory" section are professional and commercial photographers. May I know how can I go about searching for such part-time jobs? Is there any organisation which offers such services? Thanks a lot!

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysjerricky View Post
    Hi CS-ers,

    As my holidays are coming up, I would like to spend some time taking events photos. I am not very experienced and would just like to use this opportunity to gain some experience and a little portfolio. I have tried sourcing this forum but most of the people under "Photography Services Directory" section are professional and commercial photographers. May I know how can I go about searching for such part-time jobs? Is there any organisation which offers such services? Thanks a lot!
    Look under the serviced wanted section instead, for people looking for assistants. Be aware that you will be one of 10,000 people applying...
    Alpha

  3. #3
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Part-time photographer

    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysjerricky View Post
    Hi CS-ers,

    As my holidays are coming up, I would like to spend some time taking events photos. I am not very experienced and would just like to use this opportunity to gain some experience and a little portfolio. I have tried sourcing this forum but most of the people under "Photography Services Directory" section are professional and commercial photographers. May I know how can I go about searching for such part-time jobs? Is there any organisation which offers such services? Thanks a lot!
    You should take a look at "Services Wanted" section

  4. #4
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Part-time photographer

    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysjerricky View Post
    Hi CS-ers,

    As my holidays are coming up, I would like to spend some time taking events photos. I am not very experienced and would just like to use this opportunity to gain some experience and a little portfolio. I have tried sourcing this forum but most of the people under "Photography Services Directory" section are professional and commercial photographers. May I know how can I go about searching for such part-time jobs? Is there any organisation which offers such services? Thanks a lot!
    is a catch 22 situation,
    you don't have portfolio, don't have experience, people hardly give you any chance to shoot.

    you don't have any chance shoot, you can't gain any experience and portfolio.

    so forget about asking people will give you a change to shoot on your own, unless the event can afford to have no photo deliverable.
    the best you can do is tag along and observe how they work, once they think you able to handle and time is right, you will offered the opportunities to shoot.


    of course there are many people don't want to go for this route, they think this is too slow.
    they just start advertise they can shoot anything, and will take anything shows up.
    learning while shooting, the most can come here to ask what setting to use, or how to shoot and what to shoot.


    so, yeah, is up to you.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  5. #5
    Senior Member alwaysjerricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    +65
    Posts
    2,016

    Default Re: Part-time photographer

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Look under the serviced wanted section instead, for people looking for assistants. Be aware that you will be one of 10,000 people applying...

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    You should take a look at "Services Wanted" section
    Hmmm ok I will try looking but from what I have seen, most people only want professional photographers and almost all of them also request viewing of portfolio, which unfortuantely I do not have due to the lack of experience. I have seen a couple of people requesting for student photographers, so will try to look around and hope for the best! Thanks!

  6. #6
    Senior Member alwaysjerricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    +65
    Posts
    2,016

    Default Re: Part-time photographer

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    is a catch 22 situation,
    you don't have portfolio, don't have experience, people hardly give you any chance to shoot.

    you don't have any chance shoot, you can't gain any experience and portfolio.

    so forget about asking people will give you a change to shoot on your own, unless the event can afford to have no photo deliverable.
    the best you can do is tag along and observe how they work, once they think you able to handle and time is right, you will offered the opportunities to shoot.


    of course there are many people don't want to go for this route, they think this is too slow.
    they just start advertise they can shoot anything, and will take anything shows up.
    learning while shooting, the most can come here to ask what setting to use, or how to shoot and what to shoot.


    so, yeah, is up to you.
    This is also what I was thinking to do but is there any certain organisation or group that I can tag along to observe them? Or any opportunities where I can get to learn such basics? Thanks!

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysjerricky View Post

    This is also what I was thinking to do but is there any certain organisation or group that I can tag along to observe them? Or any opportunities where I can get to learn such basics? Thanks!
    Nope. Only conmen who may even *charge you* for this
    Alpha

  8. #8
    Senior Member shierwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    3,368

    Default Re: Part-time photographer

    Offer to assist Bert or Ben........

  9. #9
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Part-time photographer

    Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    Offer to assist Bert or Ben........
    I am a starving photographer... cannot afford anyone...

  10. #10
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Part-time photographer

    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysjerricky View Post
    This is also what I was thinking to do but is there any certain organisation or group that I can tag along to observe them? Or any opportunities where I can get to learn such basics? Thanks!
    I suggest you start working as an assistant. You will start off sweeping studio, carrying lights and equpiment. But these mundane work will allow you to observe how the professionals work.

    There are also other ways to learn, go to the streets to shoot some street photography, or shoot at those open to public free events. Shoot at the zoo, birdpark, ocean world. Not just shoot the animals there, but learn to shoot the people there, and try to capture moments. Then self critique, or find people to critique your work. You can also attend some workshops along the way to hone your skills from time to time.

    And you need to start looking at tons of work from others. Just keep looking, and ask yourself why this picture works, why that picture doesn't work. Start off by trying to replicate a certain angle, feel, or composition.

  11. #11
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Part-time photographer

    Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    Offer to assist Bert or Ben........
    I don't shoot events.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  12. #12

    Default

    Actually I'm not sure why you have "no portfolio". You have s camera, go and start shooting. Pick your best images, the ones with an emotional impact, and voilá, you have a portfolio
    Alpha

  13. #13
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Part-time photographer

    those events organize by your community clubs, resident clubs are all the good opportunities for you to build portfolio of event shooting.
    go for those outdoor like street parade, or MP walkabout, you can get a lot of photos with lot of action up close.
    do note these are all community work, on volunteer basis, don't expect to get paid decently even you get hired by them,

    some other people choose to shoot events held at the malls, so anyone can swing by to grab some shots for portfolio.

    alternately, you can look out the charity organization event calenders from volunteer network site, contact them to volunteer yourself.



    hope this help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  14. #14

    Default

    If any of ur friends, relative etc having wedding, any party etc, can take photos at those events too.
    If there already wedding photographer, let couple know can u tag along & inform the official photographer. Careful not to get in photographer way, eg dun stand block the photographer, dun use flash etc. Communicate with the photographer.

  15. #15
    Member snowver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Agree with catchlight. Volunteer or shoot free for all events first to create a portfolio.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    521

    Default

    RC/CC events are best because they are for public, a lot more freedom to shoot. Plus there is a whole range of activities from performances, GOH, speeches, interactions, grp photos etc etc both indoors and outdoors.

    Dont have to volunteer, jus go shoot, observe(dnt block official pg) learn.
    Last edited by saberlancer; 13th October 2013 at 11:35 AM.

  17. #17
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,943
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Part-time photographer

    why not just put up an ad for "Photography Assistance Available During Year End"

    make sure you really have the time to treat it like a full time job but low pay or unpaid otherwise dont waste people time by running out half way through
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  18. #18

    Default

    You can go take photos at your school events, local RC / CC events, go perform some photojournalist coverage at religious events such as Thaipusam.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    265

    Default Re: Part-time photographer

    volunteering with charities first would be a good idea. a good cause + you get your portfolio

  20. #20
    Senior Member alwaysjerricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    +65
    Posts
    2,016

    Default Re: Part-time photographer

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I suggest you start working as an assistant. You will start off sweeping studio, carrying lights and equpiment. But these mundane work will allow you to observe how the professionals work.
    I don't mind these work if it can help me. Where do you suggest I can start applying for these jobs?


    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Actually I'm not sure why you have "no portfolio". You have s camera, go and start shooting. Pick your best images, the ones with an emotional impact, and voilá, you have a portfolio
    I have some photos but they are not event photography related. Will people still accept them? Cos I'm not exactly sure what a portfolio means.




    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    those events organize by your community clubs, resident clubs are all the good opportunities for you to build portfolio of event shooting.
    go for those outdoor like street parade, or MP walkabout, you can get a lot of photos with lot of action up close.
    do note these are all community work, on volunteer basis, don't expect to get paid decently even you get hired by them,

    some other people choose to shoot events held at the malls, so anyone can swing by to grab some shots for portfolio.

    alternately, you can look out the charity organization event calenders from volunteer network site, contact them to volunteer yourself.



    hope this help.

    Quote Originally Posted by huatman View Post
    If any of ur friends, relative etc having wedding, any party etc, can take photos at those events too.
    If there already wedding photographer, let couple know can u tag along & inform the official photographer. Careful not to get in photographer way, eg dun stand block the photographer, dun use flash etc. Communicate with the photographer.
    Quote Originally Posted by saberlancer View Post
    RC/CC events are best because they are for public, a lot more freedom to shoot. Plus there is a whole range of activities from performances, GOH, speeches, interactions, grp photos etc etc both indoors and outdoors.

    Dont have to volunteer, jus go shoot, observe(dnt block official pg) learn.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    You can go take photos at your school events, local RC / CC events, go perform some photojournalist coverage at religious events such as Thaipusam.
    Thanks a lot for the advice. I think I have a better idea on what event photography is, shouldn't limit myself. Will try to find time to shoot CC/RC events.



    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    why not just put up an ad for "Photography Assistance Available During Year End"

    make sure you really have the time to treat it like a full time job but low pay or unpaid otherwise dont waste people time by running out half way through
    Yep I will do it soon. Thanks for the advice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •