Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Cyclist gone viral

Default Re: Cyclist gone viral

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    pray tell how you arrived at the notion that more and more of the "CMI" drivers aren't local?

FYI i find that Singaporeans in general are lousy drivers who think that by playing racing simulators and games, they are able to overtake and drive as well as professional drivers/racers.

the same with FPS players thinking that they are as good as a real-life army sniper.

it's really naive and laughable.
    I said they do not seems local.... I did not derived they are not local.... but based on looking at the driver's face... Chinaman look... or India's Indian look.... or Angmo.... for example... accessories on the car.... for example...

More driver CMI..... I did not refer to anyone.... but as in general.... Imagine people who hog the outer lane (lane 1) at 80km/h of highway... or normal road... travelling at 40km/h.... never on headlight and did not realise... never check blind spot.... green arrow can turn, but never move... light turn green... still never move.... horn also take a long while to move.... charging red light at... 50km/h.... cornering... slowing down so suddenly when approaching the bend and car behind almost kiss its ass.... signal light never off after turning also dunno... on hazarrd light and drive... miss a turn, and try to cut in and turn... people signal is to let you know to give way, not step on the accelerator to block...... on highway... safety following distance to the car in front of you is not for others to cut into the lane......

Inconsiderate suckers... impatient to wait and q to turn right, and hog the next lane, as he try to turn to right from a non-right turn lane...

Turning... when 3 point turn can do, need todo it with 5 point turn..... there a big gap in front, but the car still dare not turn.... poor judgement...

Ok... enough complaints...
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post

I said they do not seems local.... I did not derived they are not local.... but based on looking at the driver's face... Chinaman look... or India's Indian look.... or Angmo.... for example... accessories on the car.... for example...

More driver CMI..... I did not refer to anyone.... but as in general.... Imagine people who hog the outer lane (lane 1) at 80km/h of highway... or normal road... travelling at 40km/h.... never on headlight and did not realise... never check blind spot.... green arrow can turn, but never move... light turn green... still never move.... horn also take a long while to move.... charging red light at... 50km/h.... cornering... slowing down so suddenly when approaching the bend and car behind almost kiss its ass.... signal light never off after turning also dunno... on hazarrd light and drive... miss a turn, and try to cut in and turn... people signal is to let you know to give way, not step on the accelerator to block...... on highway... safety following distance to the car in front of you is not for others to cut into the lane......

Inconsiderate suckers... impatient to wait and q to turn right, and hog the next lane, as he try to turn to right from a non-right turn lane...

Turning... when 3 point turn can do, need todo it with 5 point turn..... there a big gap in front, but the car still dare not turn.... poor judgement...

Ok... enough complaints...
    LOL. Reminds me of a neighbor in my estate who still can't drive properly even after 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by Hinata76 View Post
    Van gonna need a new PAINT JOB...
    A good Photoshop will do.

... people signal is to let you know to give way, not step on the accelerator to block......
    But also: Giving signal indicates and intention, it's not an automatic 'right of way' that forces others to move away.
    Just recently I had the questionable pleasure ob nearly being pushed against the tunnel wall because the driver thought that by signalling he can automatically shift lanes, regardless whether there is someone or not. Not even honking stopped this dud.
    But then, I am not surprised. Every morning I pass by Ubi area and the CDC there, seeing the driver students and their instructors on the road. There the students already learn how to beat red lights, how to signal in some erratic way (or not to signal), make U-turns in glacial speed and other useful skills. Just a few roads away the army does the same: exercising on public roads (don't they have enough space in their camps?) and teaching the same questionable skills. Here they don't use cars, they just start putting the boys into 5t trucks. Funny to see from a safe distance.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    But also: Giving signal indicates and intention, it's not an automatic 'right of way' that forces others to move away.
    Just recently I had the questionable pleasure ob nearly being pushed against the tunnel wall because the driver thought that by signalling he can automatically shift lanes, regardless whether there is someone or not. Not even honking stopped this dud.
    But then, I am not surprised. Every morning I pass by Ubi area and the CDC there, seeing the driver students and their instructors on the road. There the students already learn how to beat red lights, how to signal in some erratic way (or not to signal), make U-turns in glacial speed and other useful skills. Just a few roads away the army does the same: exercising on public roads (don't they have enough space in their camps?) and teaching the same questionable skills. Here they don't use cars, they just start putting the boys into 5t trucks. Funny to see from a safe distance.
    I don't know about CDC.. But army boys need to learn how to operate those heavy machinery on the road with other road users.

Btw anyone saw the headlines on the newpaper today? Hilarious. I'm not sure if their agenda is reporting news or making a pun on someone's race

But I am always on "defensive" driving mode, protecting self as well as others....
    Some say Offense is the best defense.....
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Foxshade View Post
    Some say Offense is the best defense.....
    That's why I keep a base ball bat in the car.....

When defense don't work, go for the offense!!!!

I was just joking....

Seriously!!!

Ok... I agree... but I signal early with a big space when I wanna switch lane, and some 2l car driver slam the accelerator to block me is really pissing me off.... If I cut in without signal..... and with a sharper degree... he have no chance to block me at all.... I was filtering slowly.....

What I am saying is... I try to be safety conscious, but there's just too many idiots around who should not even have a license!!!

If I run LTA... I will tag the license issue to the tester... if 100 testee passed from the tester and met with an accident in the 1 st year... I will suspend the tester from work....... If LTA see this, I bet they will sure copy it and claim their own credits.....

LOL. Reminds me of a neighbor in my estate who still can't drive properly even after 5 years
    I believe some people should never have license.... they will endanger both self and others.... if they are not good in driving...

Ok... I agree... but I signal early with a big space when I wanna switch lane, and some 2l car driver slam the accelerator to block me is really pissing me off.... If I cut in without signal..... and with a sharper degree... he have no chance to block me at all.... I was filtering slowly.....

What I am saying is... I try to be safety conscious, but there's just too many idiots around who should not even have a license!!!

If I run LTA... I will tag the license issue to the tester... if 100 testee passed from the tester and met with an accident in the 1 st year... I will suspend the tester from work....... If LTA see this, I bet they will sure copy it and claim their own credits.....
    I highly doubt so. Such medieval methods of punishment are actually detrimental to an organisation. It's very similar to a ruler acting on a whim.

According to a cab driver (who btw was a very safe driver), he noticed that most drivers give up driving safely, and drive more recklessly because they feel that it's better to join the crowd, than be the only person driving safely but not being able to overtake or change lanes easily.

So it's not really the fault of the tester, but what society conditions them to become.

Please don't lose your temper on the roads, it's just not worth it. If other people want to be dangerous, reckless and aggressive, let them be. Let civility and common sense prevail, and hopefully road courtesy will follow.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

So it's not really the fault of the tester, but what society conditions them to become.
    Agreed. I would happily ride here in the way I was taught many years ago back home. But doing so will put me in a risky position: car driver don't care about motorbikes, they cut into my lane, nearly push me aside. They expect me to be anywhere else but not occupying some space in the lane. So ironically I'm safer riding between the cars and finding my own way. At least that's what is somehow expected, I feel.
    EOS

Blog Entries

.... we're moving away from the original cyclist.....
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    .... we're moving away from the original cyclist.....
    The further he stays away from my vehicle, the happier I am.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Agreed. I would happily ride here in the way I was taught many years ago back home. But doing so will put me in a risky position: car driver don't care about motorbikes, they cut into my lane, nearly push me aside. They expect me to be anywhere else but not occupying some space in the lane. So ironically I'm safer riding between the cars and finding my own way. At least that's what is somehow expected, I feel.
    So you're a biker too?

So you're a biker too?
    Yes, I am. Mostly with 400cc, sometimes (not often enough) with two legs and pedaling - back to the original topic
    EOS

Saw this video while I was overseas & yes it does put a bad light on the cyclist, in particular that man in question. It makes it worse when he's not a "local" but some of you actually cursed him which isn't reflecting too well on yourself either. I'm absolutely appalled with Singaporeans these days, it's nothing but negative thoughts and bashing at the slightest incident. Please don't close yourself but open to the world and experience them with an open mind.

Please start your new day with a fresh breath & be glad that the Sun shines again, smile to your neighbours and wish for everything well. We're living in a beautiful city. Yes, we're stressed but who's not? I've been to places where three generations live under a tent in a desert with the only source of water 5kms away by foot while their only source of income is hopefully the occasional passing tourist who buys some palm sugar from them. There are worse and there are better but I just hope that we can live in harmony and not let hatred overcome ourselves. Our government may be losing the plot but we're not waiting for handouts are we?

Our living conditions may be stressed, it may be down or harsh but you can make it better. It is your choice.

Few weeks ago while I was driving overseas on a highway at night, I saw a convoy of cyclist & I need to make an exit on left while they need to continue straight. I could see them checking rear for traffic. My vehicle is huge and could overake them easily but they'l have to brake and might crash among themselves so I slowed behind them to hold the traffic a little then hit my hazard light to let them pass before exiting. The leader turned back to wave & smiled.

I wondered if I had a bad day and was rushing home perhaps I'll just cut into them and someone might not see home that night. So, let's be kind to each other as much as possible.

Now back to that man, what he did was illogical and selfish to stop traffic in the middle of a busy intersection for his little discussion. Let's hope that he has learnt his lesson. Thanks for reading.
    "Like Moths, photographers gather at the sight of light" Robert Doisneau
    My Little Port

I am a driver and motorbike rider too, safest is to keep to middle of the lane and don't ride between cars where the drivers can't possibly be constantly monitoring their blind spot, but how many rider don't ride between cars to sped towards their destination putting everyone on the road at risk?

If a cyclist wants to ride like a car he have to behave like a driver and signal his intend to turn, filter or stop. The problem with them is they cycle Lille they are the king on pavement and road. Ride across padestrian crossing and zebra crossing etc breaking the rules and due to the slow speed of a bicycle hogging the road.
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

I highly doubt so. Such medieval methods of punishment are actually detrimental to an organisation. It's very similar to a ruler acting on a whim.

According to a cab driver (who btw was a very safe driver), he noticed that most drivers give up driving safely, and drive more recklessly because they feel that it's better to join the crowd, than be the only person driving safely but not being able to overtake or change lanes easily.

SG is known for a "Fine"City anyway....

Well... herd mentality.... so if 10 men, and 9 of them rape women, the last one should join them too???

I stick to my style of driving to be safe even if the world prefer to be bullies than to be bullied...

The point is that Tester's must recognize the risk of them putting some CMI driver on the road...

Anyway.. SG is too screwed in too many area now to fix....

Most motorist and motorcyclist develop dangerous/poor habits only after they pass their test. So it's not fair to pin it on the tester/instructors

motorcyclist were suppose to use the lanes like cars, riding in between lanes and sneaking into a car's blind spot is very dangerous.

I share two personal experience:
    1-Once at a traffic junction, there were two turning left lanes with me on the leftmost and there was another car on my right(trying to turn left as well). As he was leaning very close to my lane,so I had to make a sharper left turn so that I wouldn't collide with the car. At this time, a motocycle sneaked up on my left. as my attention was on the car on my right I almost banged into the motorcycle on my left. The rider then honked me and put up his fist in retaliation.
    The rider should have stayed in lane and wait his turn to make the left turn. I did check for a safe clearance before turning left but the rider just sneaked up in split seconds while I was checking my right side

2: I remember clearly during driving lessons that when making a right turn, the car on the rightmost lane(lane 1)is suppose to turn into the rightmost lame, while the car on the left is suppose to turn into lane 2. The first week after I passed, I applied what I learnt. However the first car on the right turned into lane two, forcing me into lane 3. He even honked at me for trying to cut into his lane.

I went home to check my book to confirm that I was right. However a check with my dad(whose been driving for years) said that most cars like to make wide turns

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast