Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: question about videography

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Kho King
    I can upgrade my hardisk to bigger size if needed, but can't afford to upgrade the whole computer now. I am still using old Pentium II 333 with 256ram and 20GB hardisk.
    The PC would be first thing I would upgrade - seriously don't think you can do software-based MPEG encoding on something lesser than a Pentium 4 or Athlon CPU. Well, with any amount of speed anyway, unless you have gobs of time to waste - see this URL for detail benchmarks - http://www17.tomshardware.com/cpu/02...4_3600-09.html

For the MPEG4 encoding, the Athlon can only manage 16fps (normal video runs at 25-29fps), therefore a 5 min video will take you (5 * 60 * 25)/16 = 468seconds (almost 8 mins) to encode. Your Pentium II is waaaaaaaay off the charts here ..... I believe tomshardware didnt even try running any video encoding benchmarks on the Pentium II series.

The worst performer (Athlon 850) takes more than 248 seconds to encode a short MPEG2 video (benchmark doesnt say how big or long the video is though).

All the above is of course moot if you invest in a hardware-based MPEG2 encoder ....

But at the very very least you need to bump up your RAM and HD to at least 512MB RAM and as much HD as you can afford - digital is obscenely greedy about storage (think not only in terms of final output/filesize, but for scratch files etc.)

But now...is the card fully compatible with DV? after hearing Que Lynn experience, I kind of not so sure. Has anyone using this card for digital video editing?

I can upgrade my hardisk to bigger size if needed, but can't afford to upgrade the whole computer now. I am still using old Pentium II 333 with 256ram and 20GB hardisk.
    I think Creative should be making a fairly good firewire card for actual multimedia use (Multimedia is their thing, after all). And if they bundle it with some video editing software, then you should be alright.

The firewire cards I mentioned that didn't work were those really really generic ones that have absolutely no mention of being used for multimedia.

You may need to upgrade your computer tho, as Darren mentioned. My friend uses a Duron 750 for editing and capturing. Not bad at all. We regularly capture and make music videos on premiere for friends and family as a hobby. However, note that her 80GB hard disk is already full, and her system has abt 384 megs of ram.

Hope this helps.

Thanks CK.

I find the Sound Blaster AUDIGY quite value for money. S$99 only and can get high end sound with firewire port.

But now...is the card fully compatible with DV? after hearing Que Lynn experience, I kind of not so sure. Has anyone using this card for digital video editing?

But of coz! It's not just any 1394 card. I've personally tested it with a Panasonic NV-GS3, a Sony PC5 and a Sony VX9000 video cameras and they all worked beautifully. At home, I capture to a AMD Duron 900MHz with ATA100 harddisk and I can easily capture the whole tape at 1 go without frame drops.

Don't bother with the really cheapo ones.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by Darren
    The PC would be first thing I would upgrade - seriously don't think you can do software-based MPEG encoding on something lesser than a Pentium 4 or Athlon CPU. Well, with any amount of speed anyway, unless you have gobs of time to waste - see this URL for detail benchmarks - http://www17.tomshardware.com/cpu/02...4_3600-09.html

For the MPEG4 encoding, the Athlon can only manage 16fps (normal video runs at 25-29fps), therefore a 5 min video will take you (5 * 60 * 25)/16 = 468seconds (almost 8 mins) to encode. Your Pentium II is waaaaaaaay off the charts here ..... I believe tomshardware didnt even try running any video encoding benchmarks on the Pentium II series.

The worst performer (Athlon 850) takes more than 248 seconds to encode a short MPEG2 video (benchmark doesnt say how big or long the video is though).

All the above is of course moot if you invest in a hardware-based MPEG2 encoder ....

But at the very very least you need to bump up your RAM and HD to at least 512MB RAM and as much HD as you can afford - digital is obscenely greedy about storage (think not only in terms of final output/filesize, but for scratch files etc.)
    Oh yes, talking about that, I currently don't have a hardware-based MPEG encoding solution. So, as a guideline to those trying to do software MPEG-1 encoding (VCD), on an AMD Duron 900Mhz with 512MB RAM, 60GB Maxtor D740X harddisk in ATA100 mode, using TMPEGEnc to encode DV AVI to VCD-formatted MPEG-1 takes the whole night.

Darren, if you have any spare quad-Pentium III boards + CPU, let me know.

Regards
    CK

Blog Entries

Originally posted by ckiang
    Darren, if you have any spare quad-Pentium III boards + CPU, let me know.
    .... rrriiiggghhhttt ... well, okay, as soon as you pass me a couple of your home-made John Holmes/Ron Jeremy-style videos starring yourself ....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12