Page 90 of 101 FirstFirst ... 40658085888990919295100 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,800 of 2020

Thread: LFC II - You'll never Walk Alone

  1. #1781
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kelccm
    Frankly speaking, I am wondering why all of us are talking so much about Chelsea being too strong. Just as long as Liverpool can beat the rest of the EPL teams, and able to hold Chelsea, Liverpool will be able to win the league title. Even if Chelsea is "so strong" that Liverpool lost twice to Chelsea, by winning the rest of the other games will still ensure the league title.

    Granted that Chelsea has the $$ to create a very strong squad, I feel that Arsenal and Man U is about the same strength as Liverpool. So if Liverpool can beat Arsenal and Man U, and avoid dropping silly points against other teams, Liverpool will still have a very strong chance to win the title.
    Its very easy to say isn't it? Talk is cheap! If you remember, Man Utd end up many points behind Chelsea last season. The amount of points that Liverpool is behind Chelsea is all a club need to survive in EPL.

    Beating Chelsea in a match or a 2 leg affair is easy but winning many games consistantly is another matter. If its so easy, I think Liverpool fans no need to worry as the title is as good as theirs.

  2. #1782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wong_se
    when chelsea win 1-0..tighten the defence, rely rubben and duff fast pace counter attack and won EPL..they are doing counter attack ok.

    but when liverpool win 1-0..tighten the defence, rely owen fast pace counter attack and but failed EPL..they are not doing ok, theyare boring...

    see...if u win EPL , your tactics are the best.

    but if u did not EPL, your similiar tactics sucked.

    it is not about the long ball nor counter attack....at the end ..the result speaks.

    I only care about 3 points..regardless we win it ugly, boring or dirty.
    umm, have you seen the diff between a chelsea counter and a liverpool counter? rafa's valencia also plays counter. but it is counter attacking with intent. they move the ball quickly from player to player, ie they actually PASS the ball. Their players are contantly moving into positions and they know where each other are and can bring other players into play. a GH counter involves hoofing a ball in the general direction of nottingham and hope that it lands near one of your players. Effective? why not? you are depending on the law of percentages, hoof enough balls and your forwards chase hard enough..you score. 1-0 win.
    but can it win you the league? i don't think so. the problem with percentage games like this is that sometimes you just don't have the luck. it's like someone who keeps punting in the stock market and just anyhow buy stocks. can he make a profit? sure? can he be consistent? compare this with someone who plans the investments. i'm not saying it is foolproof but like it or not, the planner is more likely to succeed.
    don't get me wrong. i'm not saying counter attack sucks. i'm saying that we need to play with more structure, be it when counter attacking or any other styles. i respect GH for what he had achieved for us and he laid a solid ground for rafa to work on but all i'm saying is that it was not enough to ensure success for us.
    look at the most successful sides. see any teams playing liverpool style long ball? valencia and man utd essentially still plays the quick counter game very often but look at the flow, the structure and the movement involved. that is the next level. if we win ugly, i'll still celebrate but i'll never be fully happy cos i want us to win because we're the best team on the pitch, not because we sucker punched a better team.

  3. #1783

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    Its very easy to say isn't it? Talk is cheap! If you remember, Man Utd end up many points behind Chelsea last season. The amount of points that Liverpool is behind Chelsea is all a club need to survive in EPL.

    Beating Chelsea in a match or a 2 leg affair is easy but winning many games consistantly is another matter. If its so easy, I think Liverpool fans no need to worry as the title is as good as theirs.
    agree man. LFC cannot be said to be in the class of these teams yet. winning the EPL is not just about beating big team, it's about beating every team. we sucked playing away last season and even lost some silly points at home. most of the time, we're only marginally better at best, even against supposed minnows. we struggled to break down packed defences cos we lacked ideas (and frankly, i feel we lack magic). we conceeded silly goals when our defences reacted slowly or lost concentration. our strikers couldn't put away so many chances. our midfield could not really dominate many of our opponent's midfields (though of course, we were missing xabi, gerrard or both). we lacked width. need i go on? i'm a liverpool fan through and through. but i think we'd be deluded if we think we're there yet. but we have a good team and a good manager. and i believe that, with a bit of luck, we can be there.

  4. #1784
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default

    Well I just hope that Liverpool can perform more consistently against the lower teams. They have been dropping a lot of valuable points when playing seemingly weaker opponents for the past few seasons.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  5. #1785
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kelccm
    Well I just hope that Liverpool can perform more consistently against the lower teams. They have been dropping a lot of valuable points when playing seemingly weaker opponents for the past few seasons.
    Couldn't agree more.... we need to have the mental toughness, the killer instinct and be ruthless against the weaker teams..

  6. #1786

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by giddygoat
    a GH counter involves hoofing a ball in the general direction of nottingham and hope that it lands near one of your players. Effective? why not? you are depending on the law of percentages, hoof enough balls and your forwards chase hard enough..you score. 1-0 win.
    hahahaha I like the way your described the GH way of playing. It's so accurate!

    Maybe GH should be called "Gerard Hoofier".

  7. #1787
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    JB, SG
    Posts
    3,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kelccm
    Frankly speaking, I am wondering why all of us are talking so much about Chelsea being too strong. Just as long as Liverpool can beat the rest of the EPL teams, and able to hold Chelsea, Liverpool will be able to win the league title. Even if Chelsea is "so strong" that Liverpool lost twice to Chelsea, by winning the rest of the other games will still ensure the league title.

    Granted that Chelsea has the $$ to create a very strong squad, I feel that Arsenal and Man U is about the same strength as Liverpool. So if Liverpool can beat Arsenal and Man U, and avoid dropping silly points against other teams, Liverpool will still have a very strong chance to win the title.

    My analysis - the strongest team of LFC can be par and even better than Chelsea. Similiar to Arsenal vs Chelsea, or MU vs Chelsea.

    That;s why u could see that LFC beat chelsea last year CL. and Chelsea could not even score a goal against us over the 2 legs. And I did really we could beat them before the match started..I placed my bet and stated view here..few months ago.

    but...EPL is 38 matches. U can;t play the first 11 for 38 matches. The reserve and 2nd team of Chelsea, sad to admit, is the strongest among all. ie...when u rest Duff and Rubben, u have Joe Cole and SWP. Equally good.

    Compared to MU, if u rest Giggs and Ronaldo...who will be playing both wings ? whoever..will not be as strong as Cole+SWP for chelsea.

    Thus..I would say "Chelsea is strong, due to the quality of the whole squad".


    again look at our own team....if u rest Hyypia, or Carra, who will be the back up ?

    if u rest Finnan, who is the back up ? josemi ? u must be joking...only if u want to lose a game and want the keeper to pick a ball from his own net, then u play josemi.

    and LB ?? even Traore is not the best choice we would like to play...

    wat to do ? unless we have Bill gates to take over from Moore.

  8. #1788
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    JB, SG
    Posts
    3,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by giddygoat
    if we win ugly, i'll still celebrate but i'll never be fully happy cos i want us to win because we're the best team on the pitch, not because we sucker punched a better team.
    wah ah goat..u are really greedy.. win also not enough for u. must play beauty football. but when we play beauty football..would u demand the striker to score a hattrick, defender to score from header and a midfielder to score from banana free kick, and as well keep a clean sheet.

    as long as we win 1-0 each game...regardless dirty, ugly, stupidity...whatever....counter attack, long ball, short pass...kampong style...for the next 38 match.

    we will for sure the EPL champion....

    when u succeed..people dun really concern how u achieve it.

    but when u fail, people will critise the way u do it.

  9. #1789
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    JB, SG
    Posts
    3,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32
    Couldn't agree more.... we need to have the mental toughness, the killer instinct and be ruthless against the weaker teams..
    yes loh..how could we lost 2-0 last season to Soton ( a team being relegated at the end) ?

  10. #1790
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kahheng
    hahahaha I like the way your described the GH way of playing. It's so accurate!

    Maybe GH should be called "Gerard Hoofier".
    Can you stop goating him? giddygoat has one of the best analysis of the game. Although he is giddy, that does not mean you can goat at him. Beware of his hoof!



    Ok, i'm just kidding.

  11. #1791
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wong_se
    yes loh..how could we lost 2-0 last season to Soton ( a team being relegated at the end) ?
    If only we only lost to southampton... we lost to a couple of other teams as well... I knew we trashed WBA and Norwich but i think we drew against Crystal Palace as i recall andy johnson scoring from a header....

  12. #1792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wong_se
    wah ah goat..u are really greedy.. win also not enough for u. must play beauty football. but when we play beauty football..would u demand the striker to score a hattrick, defender to score from header and a midfielder to score from banana free kick, and as well keep a clean sheet.

    as long as we win 1-0 each game...regardless dirty, ugly, stupidity...whatever....counter attack, long ball, short pass...kampong style...for the next 38 match.

    we will for sure the EPL champion....

    when u succeed..people dun really concern how u achieve it.

    but when u fail, people will critise the way u do it.
    you really don't get me do you? read the paragraph. i never said we need beauty football dude. i don't expect to see brazil on the field. what i expect to see is that when we counter, we counter with structure and flow. do you seriously believe that if we somehow managed to keep 38 cleans sheets by sitting back and soaking pressure for 90x38minutes (minus the 6x38 seconds we were countering), we can score a goal in every match just by hoofing it up? that takes more than skill. it takes luck. if that's all it takes, greece would be an all-conquering team. as is, they may be euro champs and they have a great defence but they will never be frontrunners because that kind of game needs so many things to go right before it works. heck, even the wind direction can affect it. maybe GH should hire a bomoh so that the wind will blow in the right direction and the pitch would be nice and dry.

    we need to win by being the better team. if we are a countering team, fine. but i would like to see us counter better. have you seen how a team like valencia counters? they create openings by moving the ball with purpose and direction. the player know the game plan, they move into space and they can unhinge a defence with a few quick passes. how can you be happy seeing your team just hoofing the ball up and depending on luck everytime? and it's not like we have the best long ball passer (note: stevie G wasn't really that good yet under most of GH's reign) and anyway most of the long passes came from our CDs and they are not quite great visionaries on the ball are they? let me ask you. how many time did our long passes actually found owen?

    if you believe i ask for the impossible by wanting the team to play proper football, aren't you doing the same by asking the team to have 38 cleans sheets and scoring at least once in every match? teams that play the kind of game i hope we can play have won the la liga, the EPL and CL etc. how many tourneys have negative long ball sides won recently? how many won the leagues? and no, i really don't count the S-league.
    i love liverpool man. so do you. and we both celebrate like hell whenever they win. i want us to win by any means possible. but i am looking to the future. and fact is that, a team that don't know how to attack properly will most likely lose out in the end of the league season, no matter how many cups we have in the end.

    you may think i hate GH. i don't. i respect him and will never forget him for all we achieved under him. he gave us a strong foundation to build on. my criticisms are not meant to undermine him but they are what i believe we need to achieve to go further. the next level my friend, i'm sick of being second best and having to win because the other team didn't play well.

    and i believe that a successful team needs to be flexible and at least have 2 game plans. one is an attacking style that can break down the most obstinate defence and the second a counter attacking style for when things are not going our way. and the key is switching the games at the right times. there's no such thing as a plan for all season. i guess i'm hoping that liverpool would be the pete sampras of soccer (and that FIFA won't introduce clay courts for soccer )
    Last edited by giddygoat; 7th August 2005 at 12:20 AM.

  13. #1793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    Can you stop goating him? giddygoat has one of the best analysis of the game. Although he is giddy, that does not mean you can goat at him. Beware of his hoof!



    Ok, i'm just kidding.
    actually i just play too much FM2005

    honestly man. i am just a dreamer, man. i dream of the day liverpool can be a top team again (okay, okay, i'll let your man utd finish second )

  14. #1794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wong_se

    wat to do ? unless we have Bill gates to take over from Moore.
    later stevie G hang halfway while passing the ball then how? he should have bought chelsea. then really got blue screen of death.

  15. #1795

    Default

    giddygoat is a girl??!!

  16. #1796
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Near Bishan Gardens
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ibitemynails
    giddygoat is a girl??!!
    Paiseh.. Too long never seen you post liao... Mixed up between you and giddygoat... Ha!
    Birth Age Illness Death - The Beauty of life

  17. #1797

  18. #1798
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by giddygoat
    actually i just play too much FM2005

    honestly man. i am just a dreamer, man. i dream of the day liverpool can be a top team again (okay, okay, i'll let your man utd finish second )

    that's my dream too!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  19. #1799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ibitemynails
    giddygoat is a girl??!!
    just checked. nope

  20. #1800
    Senior Member zhapchit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    North-East
    Posts
    693

    Default

    pass n move!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •