Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most Compact PNS camera?

Default Re: Most Compact PNS camera?

How light do you practically want?
    What I mean is that 330gm is about the weight of a can of coke if it comes to that. (ie. won't cause major weight issues right? )

Have a look at the Q7.
    I reviewed it here and I think its pretty reactive even in less well lit places (samples in the below review).
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1292695

Anyone tried the Sony WX300?

http://www.sony.com.sg/product/dsc-wx300
    The world's smallest, lightest* camera with 20x optical zoom at only 166 grams

Quote Originally Posted by littlegreenyoda View Post

again, ask yourself if you need the zoom range

A clarifying question to the TS: you've mentioned shutter lag on a few occasions - could it actually be focusing speed you're referring to? Do you know how to pre-focus? Cause many times I hear users complain about shutter lag when it's actually the AF that is slow.

I think DPREVIEW differentiates between Full-press lag and half-press lag, full-press lag being the time between actuation and shot when you press the shutter button fully down, and half-press lag being the actual shutter lag i.e. press the shutter release halfway to focus and meter, then when ready, press the rest of the way to take the shot. The latter is a lot faster.

In general, DSLR/Ts focus faster than compacts, esp in Continuous Focus. Shooting fast-moving kids on Continuous AF with a compact is a real challenge. I'd rather pre-focus, but you do need some practice to do this right.

Get yourself a nokia 1020 with battery grip. Can use as phone... and as camera. There... you save the weigh of a equipment and you get a fabulous camera with phone function, best of both world.

My is coming along the way from Aust

Or if you are using Android or Apple phone, get the new Sony QX100 (although there are some bad reviews... but nothing a firmware upgrade wouldn't help) and you get RX100 IQ and was incredibly light, and pretty small.

I would have bought one if I am not using the Window phone which sadly... QX100 don't support
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Get the olympus xz-10. Battery included 221 gm. Small Charger, Fast aperture at f/1.8

http://www.dpreview.com/products/oly...specifications

thats really tiny!!!

But nikon coolpix series are not that good? Was told by my sis lar, her own opinion as she used to own a nikon coolpix.

I need a fast camera for dogs and pets and good low light/indoor shots.

Was considering the Nikon S6600 but not much reviews online yet.
    Your friend is totally right about the S10 not being great in IQ. haha. This is one camera my fren at the camera shop refused to sell to me, saying that I should spend the money elsewhere instead.

anyway, a fast camera for taking pets and low light?
    confirm means the run of the mill compacts are out.

I have no idea what's your budget, assuming money isn't an issue. Get the RX100II or X20 or DLux 6. Note that DLux 6 is f1.4-f2.3 , X20 is f2.0-f2.8 and the Rx100II is at f1.8 - f4.9.
    Last edited by keithwee; 7th October 2013 at 09:55 PM.

Blog Entries

Samsung S4 Zoom should do it both as a phone and a camera

Image quality and camera functions blows other smartphone cameras out of the water

Samsung Singapore provided us 30 sets to use with participants of the recently concluded Crossing Bridges photography gathering .... we were skeptical at first but refused to return it after a few days

10x OPTICAL ZOOM

Last edited by ed9119; 7th October 2013 at 11:28 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Hi guys,

I've been using my LX3 for a couple of years now and find that its quite heavy.. (Of course, not heavy compared to all of your pro DSLR etc!)

But I just want to travel light!

I'm looking at Sony RX100, Canon s110 and Powershot 330.

Got any other recommendations?

Hopefully can find one that is below 160 grams and with WIFI capability. Zoom is not important to me as i seldom use it.

Thank you!
    of the three cameras you listed, only the canon powershot 330 HS (known as ixus 255 HS in sg) is less than 150g in weight, at 142g including battery and memory card. good 10x zoom, compact form factor, IQ not in the same league as the larger sensor compacts, but decent enough if you are not going to do large prints.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Think TS is probably overwhelmed by the choices recommended now

Anyway , probably a final note.

No camera is perfect ; what I feel should be important is that to understand it's a balance between the user's needs and what the camera can offer.

I think it's folly to say camera A is better than camera B; for example the silly battle now between EP5 & GX7. Both r great cameras and if I can afford it , honestly I'd buy both just for the heck of it. What matters to me is that EP5 suits my shooting needs more than GX7 so to me it's the 'better one' but hey; I'm sure someone else will say GX7's better and I gonna respect that.

Hence , best thing u can do now is do a quick read up on the models recommended here ; do a 1st cut and then go to the shops and try them physically before buying.

Blog Entries

one of the best newbie threads this week

And thank you to the old birds who offered advise. Kindly appreciated.

promoting it to Front Page of forum
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post

I hope I'm not one of the old birds

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post

referring to me..... new old bird.

good choice.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

I'm actually looking at the Canon S120 to replace my LX5. Like the wide angle (24mm) and apparently good low light performance. See if that works for u.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12