Thread: Purple Gold

Default Purple Gold

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    some general areas in terms of composition, sharpness of the image, exposure
    more importantly, is the effect on the viewer from the resultant colours of the photo

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    probably seeking a direction in landscape sunrise/sunset photography similar to this photo to become a personal style (like is it good enough to be unique, that stands out from the rest)
    because I look forward to shooting slides, I tend to want to make my photos as raw as possible.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Somewhere around 6-7am in the morning, where the skies are coloured between bright pink and golden with the sun rising up from the horizon.
    Picture was taken using a the Nikon N80 (Film DSLR) using the 35mm Fujichrome Provia 100F Slide.
    I mounted on a +8 ND Filter (cheapo kind), and did a long exposure of the scene (couldn't remember the exact amount of time, felt like it was more than 5mins somewhat)

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    Honestly, I would say that I got this piece with a stroke of luck, as it was my first time doing a sunrise shoot with ND filters, and the timing of the day was quite perfect to provide the wonderful colours
    I would say this is my best piece so far, and I hope that fellow CSers with experience in this area can provide me with some inputs on how to visualise such results before taking a long exposure scene.

Disclaimer: The only photo editing done to this image is the logo at the bottom and resizing it to 800 pixels, everything else is as it is.
    Last edited by zaren; 3rd October 2013 at 10:54 PM.

Default Re: Purple Gold

Quote Originally Posted by iamgarvin View Post
    1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    some general areas in terms of composition, sharpness of the image, exposure
    more importantly, is the effect on the viewer from the resultant colours of the photo

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    probably seeking a direction in landscape sunrise/sunset photography similar to this photo to become a personal style (like is it good enough to be unique, that stands out from the rest)
    because I look forward to shooting slides, I tend to want to make my photos as raw as possible.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Somewhere around 6-7am in the morning, where the skies are coloured between bright pink and golden with the sun rising up from the horizon.
    Picture was taken using a the Nikon N80 (Film DSLR) using the 35mm Fujichrome Provia 100F Slide.
    I mounted on a +8 ND Filter (cheapo kind), and did a long exposure of the scene (couldn't remember the exact amount of time, felt like it was more than 5mins somewhat)

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    Honestly, I would say that I got this piece with a stroke of luck, as it was my first time doing a sunrise shoot with ND filters, and the timing of the day was quite perfect to provide the wonderful colours
    I would say this is my best piece so far, and I hope that fellow CSers with experience in this area can provide me with some inputs on how to visualise such results before taking a long exposure scene.

Disclaimer: The only photo editing done to this image is the logo at the bottom and resizing it to 800 pixels, everything else is as it is.
    Hi,

the composition seems quite nice, i think it works.
    the sky might have been over exposed slightly
    with my limited knowledge i can only think of blackcarding to solve this problem

not sure if you cross processed this?
    anyway, i guess its alright to have personal style in terms of colours and treatment since the basics are right already...
    this is sort of in trend now anyway

have fun shooting and experimenting

Try to retain more details of the clouds in the sky by watching your exposure, this will help to improve the impact of your image. You can also experiment with the colour balance and white balance to bring out the richness of the colours.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

indeed very unique.. cheers!

[/QUOTE]