Thread: Ultrasonic for cleaning filters?

Default Ultrasonic for cleaning filters?

Not sure if here is the right place to ask...trying my luck.
    Any of you cleaned your filters with ultrasonic bath(Similar like those used on spectacle shop for cleaning spec) before?
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

Sounds like a good idea! You have one machine then?......saw them outside spectacles shops in Tokyo where anyone can use them fro free......

But you still need to clean them with tissue/cotton as you need to submerge them in water?

HS

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    Sounds like a good idea! You have one machine then?......saw them outside spectacles shops in Tokyo where anyone can use them fro free......

But you still need to clean them with tissue/cotton as you need to submerge them in water?

HS
    Submerge in water?

Quote Originally Posted by eagles_creek
    Submerge in water?
    Yep! Thats how the ones I have seen work, one in my lab, and others at the spectacle shops in Tokyo...........think it is to catch the glass when they break! :-)

HS

i think the fluid (normally water, but in my lab case previously is diw) serves as a medium for the ultrasonic to work on the object. This is for the case of my lab project in uni yrs and for the machines the fab i am working now.
    Maybe after the ultrasonic bath, can do srd(spin rinse dry) in cleanroom environment, confirm solid man!

alright man im going to try it!
    yup i got one small industrial use ultrasonic bath at home, well i got it for free when my ex company shut down the plant.

hmm...the cheapest filter will be the 1st to take a bath and the amine free wipe i got will be the towel for it!

cleaning filters?

I just use my shirt to wipe it
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

B+W.. shirt.. I do that sometimes too.. but mine not B+W

when you submerge the fliter into water.. water moisture actually gets trapped in the glass/thread intersection. I don't know if it'll dry up completely but I have a feeling it'll take a long time to dry completely. Imagine putting a rich moisture source onto your lens.

forgot to add on.. the ultrasonic also "shake" the water into the seams more?

Tell me when the fungus are ready to harvest.
    Last edited by yanyewkay; 17th May 2005 at 08:03 PM.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

filters where to find all the small seams? snap ring, a piece of filter and the external threaded plastic are all that i know of for a filter.
    of cos my filter will sleep in a silica box hospital before fit for use!
    i think i should try it since i have my own ultrasonic. afterall a filter is just like a piece of glass only, mine is cheap. not so heart pain~

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    B+W.. shirt.. I do that sometimes too.. but mine not B+W

when you submerge the fliter into water.. water moisture actually gets trapped in the glass/thread intersection. I don't know if it'll dry up completely but I have a feeling it'll take a long time to dry completely. Imagine putting a rich moisture source onto your lens.

forgot to add on.. the ultrasonic also "shake" the water into the seams more?

Tell me when the fungus are ready to harvest.

There's a method of getting around that issue. You can place your item in a clean container and fill it with... eg. Isopropanol, then place your container in your Ultrasonic (US) cleaning machine.

Since US bath requires a liquid medium in order for vibrations to propagate, the isopropanol will still allow the vibrations to pass and clean your item.

Although in my opinion, I dont recommend it. Thats because your filters are likely to be coated and I am not sure what will happen if your filters come in contact with the isopropanol.

Its best to just clean it with a lens pen...

isn't it called a sonicator something that vibrates the water molecules at very high freq to shake off dirt

For sure IPA are not to be use for cleaning lens and for use in usonic bath because heat are generated and IPA can clean off the coating on lens.
    Generally alkaline solutions are the commonly use type and RO water too. That's all I know.
    For me I'm using RO water. I do keep a few bottle at home.