Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: plastic bags problems

Blog Entries

Default Re: plastic bags problems

Quote Originally Posted by huatman View Post
    If remember correctly, NTUC had done that before. On certain day of the week, extra 10cent if need plastic bag. But feedback isn't good, think now instead they give u discount instead if use your own bag.
    Ikea also dun give free plastic bag.
    In some countries, they dun give plastic bag when buy things from them. Or they use paper bag. Went Taiwan before some shops dun give out plastic bag.

And heard before, actually not good to use normal plastic bag as trash bag. As normal plastic are not biodegradable.
    Actually, most plastic bags nowadays are biodegradable. Notice how plastic bags nowadays tend to break very easily after a while? That is why.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    I've always been asked by china friends and colleagues to bring used paper shopping bags that are still in great condition to China .... eg Takashimaya, Robinsons, Isetan, LV, Chanel, Prada, Burberry, Nautica, Zara, Ritz Carlton, St Regis, Swatch, Raoul, Leica, Harrods, JC Penny, Timberland, Universal Studio, Singapore Zoo, DFS etc etc etc .... especially the BIG heavy duty ones .... new status symbol ha ha

SOP everywhere in China now is to bring your own backpack or shopping bag when going out otherwise 0.1 to 0.5rmb for each plastic bag
    It is law in China now that supermarkets do not give out plastic bags for free. You will need to purchase plastic bags. And the people in China are very good in bringing their own bags for shopping.

Try explaining the concept of saving plastic bags to those wet market aunties and uncles.

They will show you the middle finger

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Actually, most plastic bags nowadays are biodegradable. Notice how plastic bags nowadays tend to break very easily after a while? That is why.
    I'm not sure whether this is really 'biodegradable'. That would mean that the material can be dissolved / disintegrated / processed by bacterias or other life forms. But that's not the case to my knowledge. It is rather that the used substances are disintegrating into non-toxic products when brought to landfill or incinerated. Also, the plastic bags are susceptible to UV light (as well as other plastic products). Exposure to UV light weakens the structure and they give way. For instance, cable ties have the same weakness. I use them to fix some mesh material on my front door and after a year the first ones start breaking.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    Try explaining the concept of saving plastic bags to those wet market aunties and uncles.
    They will show you the middle finger
    We are not talking about the small bags holding wet market items. We are talking about the big shopping bags you get at the cashier.
    Ironically, many of these bags have a print of "Use less bags" or "Reuse, Recycle" - but cashiers use them as if they get a bonus based on bags handed out ..
    EOS

That's why people ask for double or triple bags to strenghten them.

We are now doubling or tripling Singapore's share in the world consumption of platic bags.

It is law in China now that supermarkets do not give out plastic bags for free. You will need to purchase plastic bags. And the people in China are very good in bringing their own bags for shopping.
    US is adopting this law as well. In CA, many cities have already adopted the plastic ban law. It now cost 10cents for each paper bag.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    Chinese radio mentioned Singapore used billions of plastic bags a year, (not sure if this is recommended by the female DJs or who) maybe should start charging $0.10 per bags on Saturday n Sundays.

Question :

1) All items sold in any shop had already factor in cost of plastic bags, so they can make extra profit from this which is something like a Fine, but who gave this authority to them? Is it legal?

2) I believe most if shopping plastic bags r reused as rubbish bag at home. So if I don't use these plastic bags, I must buy trash bags, which is also consider in the figures they quoted. So how does that help?

No wonder Singapore is known to be a FINE country, 1st idea to comes to mind is Fine. Easiest way n the most profitable way.
    As one can see, consumer environmental consciousness is never sufficient. Alot of European countries charge for plastic bags for the same reason. A store in my recent penang trip apparently charges for plastic bags as carriers too.

You should not equate charging practices to profits in this particular instance. A single company initiating the levy will only hurt its customer pool if the other companies do not play ball and follow suit. Pushing this across requires commited legislation from above.

The 10 cents is a negative reinforcement and adds more momentum for reminding consumers that it could be a good option to bring our reuseable bags for grocery shopping.

Slapping a levy for consumers to decide is just but a small inconvenience, compared to big cities that ban plastic bag usage in grocery stores.

The tax is a small step but in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    We are not talking about the small bags holding wet market items. We are talking about the big shopping bags you get at the cashier.
    Ironically, many of these bags have a print of "Use less bags" or "Reuse, Recycle" - but cashiers use them as if they get a bonus based on bags handed out ..
    What u talking?

Is.there a diff between the bags?

BTW, to correct u. Those bags in market are not small. Obviously u never go market

What u talking?

BTW, to correct u. Those bags in market are not small. Obviously u never go market
    you buy a piece of meat, the uncle put the meat in a transparent plastic bag, and put this plastic bag into another yellow color or red color singlet plastic bag, you go to every stall, they all do the same. so when you come back, you may end up have 30 to 40 plastic bags.

last time we go market (ok, we don't call wet market since last time don't have super market yet), all the stall vendors don't use plastic bags, everything wrap up with newspapers. you need to bring your own basket.

obviously you never go market when you are young.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Hmm, I don't think 'most' plastic bags used locally are biodegradable? I'm thinking about the common thin ones used by small businesses and retailers, red/blue ones used by hawkers & provision shops, the clear ones used by bakeries/supermarkets, and the clear ones used for drinks/noodles at coffeeshops.

Note that even if they are, there are different types:

Degradable bags
    “Degradable bags” or carrier bags are made from starch-polyester blends, which combine
    commercially manufactured hydrocarbons with starches derived from biomass fibressuch as corn,
    potato, tapioca or wheat. Over time, these biodegradable polymers decompose and break down
    into carbon dioxide, methane, water, inorganic compounds or biomass (Edwards & Fry, 2011, p.
    13). The more commonly available form of biodegradable plastic carrier bags is oxo-degradable
    bags. Oxo-degradable bags are those that are made from plastics with certain additives added in,
    that promote the degradation process in the presence of natural daylight, and heat. Other forms
    of degradable bags might include “biodegradable bags” which decompose into carbon dioxide,
    methane, water, and inorganic compounds, or “compostable bags” which are degradable under
    the action of microorganisms and achieve total conversion into carbon dioxide, methane, water
    and inorganic compounds (Sustainability Victoria, 2007, p. 2).

In terms of environmental performance, oxo-degradable bags require 10% less raw materials to
    produce as compared to HDPE bags (Edwards & Fry, 2011), and studies have also shown that “the
    incineration of PP (Polyethylene Plastic) bags generates about double the amount of greenhouse
    gases compared to the incineration of bio-bags” (Khoo & Tan, 2010, p. 341). Oxo-degradable bags
    are also cited as having a lower impact in the littering stream. As compared to HDPE bags, they
    require a much shorter period to degrade in the environment (Lewis et al, 2010).

However, depending on the type of degradable bag, the plastic may not break down into harmless
    compounds, but rather, “microplastic” fragments, which can still be ingested by marine life
    (Thomson, et al., 2004). Additionally, just like HDPE bags, oxo-degradable bags are neither thick
    nor durable and are intended mainly for single use. Consumer complacency that a degradable bag
    would disintegrate even if disposed might lead to higher rates of littering.

Oxo-degradable bags are also not designed for material recycling. A typical plastic recycling
    process involves re-heating, during which biodegradable bags will decompose and make further
    processing impossible. Furthermore, mixing of biodegradable bags in the feedstock of recycling
    will damage the process and the quality of recycled products(Ren, 2003).

While bags made entirely of bio-based polymers might have a lower environmental impact than
    the commonly available oxo-degradable alternative, the lack of these options in the market as of
    2013 makes them an unlikely solution to the problem of plastic bag wastage for now.

http://www.sec.org.sg/publication/SE..._Singapore.pdf

So you eat your food raw as it comes out of the bag? The answer is in the last paragraph:
    You mean you cook your fruits and snacks like Yan Yan Biscuits before eating ?

Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
    Hygiene is a concern for me too, but after reading more about the sample size and study sponsor, I'd take it with a pinch of salt.
    Disposable bags do have their place. It's something to take note of, but perhaps not as grim as it was made out to be.
    The two sentences in my post should be read separately.

The previous FDW, from a tiny puncture wound had a close encounter with MRSA - no one knows where it originates.
    As I am not always in control of the hygiene, it makes more sense for me to use plastic bags.

I was reading that for E.Coli and Salmonella, washing might not be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kklee View Post
    I was reading that for E.Coli and Salmonella, washing might not be helpful.
    There is no need to have sterile fruits. It is enough to remove excessive amounts just by washing. You still have your body immune system.
    EOS

What u talking?
    If you read and follow the thread you will know.

Yes, there is a difference in size between small bags for single items (e.g. fruits, pieces of meat) and big bags one gets at the cashier to carry away the entire load. You don't go for groceries much, right?
    EOS

There is no need to have sterile fruits. It is enough to remove excessive amounts just by washing. You still have your body immune system.
    Perhaps from the many sources on the internet on E.Coli and biofilm is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    you buy a piece of meat, the uncle put the meat in a transparent plastic bag, and put this plastic bag into another yellow color or red color singlet plastic bag, you go to every stall, they all do the same. so when you come back, you may end up have 30 to 40 plastic bags.

last time we go market (ok, we don't call wet market since last time don't have super market yet), all the stall vendors don't use plastic bags, everything wrap up with newspapers. you need to bring your own basket.

obviously you never go market when you are young.
    those good old days

Brings back memories
    Last edited by kei1309; 3rd October 2013 at 02:44 PM.

Here in the UK, Ireland has just introduced a Plastic Bag Tax for single use carrier bags.

Retailers in the England / Scotland have voluntarily starting charging 5p per bag used, with plans to make it compulsory for all stores to charge next year.

I think all of us 1st world countries will be doing this soon.
    www.acwphoto.co.uk

Watch this with a pinch of salt.

George Carlin on Saving the planet ; and yes , he discusses plastic bags.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7W33HRc...%3D7W33HRc1A6c

Yes, he's a comedian but trust me, he makes more sense than more politicians.
    It's good to be environmentally conscious , but balance people.

Watch Liao don't agree I'm sure at least u'd have had at least a few good laughs

We Do Not Inherit the Earth from Our Ancestors;

We Borrow It from Our Children
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12