Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Thread: will camera work in cold weather or get frozen?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    31

    Default will camera work in cold weather or get frozen?

    I have a OMD EM5, with the kit lens and a 25mm f1.4.

    And I am planning to bring it to Harbin, China in Dec and I heard that the temperature may go as low as -25 degrees...
    Will there be any problem with my camera? Will it still work? Will it get frozen?

    Is it that if it is snowing it is better to use my kit lens which is weather sealed? If not snowing then I can use my non weather sealed 25mm f1.4?

  2. #2
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: will camera work in cold weather or get frozen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henryks View Post
    I have a OMD EM5, with the kit lens and a 25mm f1.4.

    And I am planning to bring it to Harbin, China in Dec and I heard that the temperature may go as low as -25 degrees...
    Will there be any problem with my camera? Will it still work? Will it get frozen?

    Is it that if it is snowing it is better to use my kit lens which is weather sealed? If not snowing then I can use my non weather sealed 25mm f1.4?
    No. There will not be problem. But battery life will be pretty short, so be prepared to bring more batteries.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  3. #3
    Member joNWKng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    48

    Default Re: will camera work in cold weather or get frozen?

    Hi Henry,

    There have been many general discussion threads regarding cold weather operation. From what I can tell, the OMD EM-5's operational temperature is rated at 0-40 deg C. Don't know if it will survive prolonged -25 deg exposure. Remember that weather sealed cameras and lenses can still suffer from condensation damage.
    Jonathan

  4. #4
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: will camera work in cold weather or get frozen?

    I have used a non-weathersealed D90 with a non-weathersealed Tokina 11-16 in -25 deg C weather before. No problem.
    I brought 4 batteries, but ended up using one one battery. No problem.

    Just make sure when you move from a cold environment into a warm one, put your camera into a plastic or ziploc bag. After entering, let the camera sit in the bag for around 5 mins to let the temperature equalize. Even if you forgot, and the lens fog up, just leave it with the power off and wait for the fog to dry up.

  5. #5
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: will camera work in cold weather or get frozen?

    Quote Originally Posted by joNWKng View Post
    Hi Henry,

    There have been many general discussion threads regarding cold weather operation. From what I can tell, the OMD EM-5's operational temperature is rated at 0-40 deg C. Don't know if it will survive prolonged -25 deg exposure. Remember that weather sealed cameras and lenses can still suffer from condensation damage.
    It will survive. If not, many camera users in countries with winter season will be complaining.

  6. #6

    Default

    If you are scared, then don't bring it lor.

    There will always be some risk involved. No one here can guarantee that your Olympus will work or that they will be right beside you to replace your Olympus with countless, identical setups.

    What the forum can tell you is there are gutsy photographers who have brought their valiant cameras to such a audacious quests and survived. It does not mean your Olympus will definitely survive.

    I know I brought my old D70 to negative 10 degrees and it survived, no sweat. I haven't been to negative 25 degrees, but if I am going there, I would:

    - bring the Olympus and if gets damaged, then so be it. Some cash written off, but hey, I know my risks.

    - bring the best weather sealed equipment out there if it is a do-or-die mission.

    I doubt your case is the latter, so I really don't see the problem.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  7. #7
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: will camera work in cold weather or get frozen?

    Quote Originally Posted by joNWKng View Post
    Hi Henry,

    There have been many general discussion threads regarding cold weather operation. From what I can tell, the OMD EM-5's operational temperature is rated at 0-40 deg C. Don't know if it will survive prolonged -25 deg exposure. Remember that weather sealed cameras and lenses can still suffer from condensation damage.
    No problem. Battery will drain faster as compared to when shooting in optimal temperature.

    People had tried it before,

    http://www.flickr.com/groups/olympus...7632580371601/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/norsman...th/8474018631/ (shots taken at night up north. Can be damn cold if you know what i mean).
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  8. #8

    Default Re: will camera work in cold weather or get frozen?

    There's a sticky on this very topic at the top.

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615253


  9. #9
    Member snowver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    151

    Default

    I shoot with nikon d3100 in -20 to- 30 degrees before for 4 days. It survived but u need to try to keep it warm whenever possible if not the battery just die in mins. I put a socks ard the grip when shooting outside for more than an hour, put it in my jack or my bag whenever possible. My phone die in seconds out in the cold.

  10. #10

    Default

    Read the stickies like what caminit mentioned

  11. #11

    Default Re: will camera work in cold weather or get frozen?



    If you want to see how a camera looks like after being outside at -30deg for 3.5hrs. Water vapour doesn't just condense on it, it freezes on contact. Fully functional in this state though, but had to wait a few hours for the lens to clear up.

  12. #12

    Default Re: will camera work in cold weather or get frozen?

    I brought my camera equipments to a place close to -20degree celsius (in fact, i was shooting in the middle of a snowstorm) & the camera equipment (and me) survived.

    Can't help it, but i feel i must share this photo of me playing in the snow storm.


    Just make sure u bring extra batteries, big ziploc bags (put all equipment in ziploc bags before u store in ur bag), and lastly bring sufficient warm clothings to help urself survive first... The number 1 thing to fall in cold weather is humans, not camera equipments.
    Last edited by devilry; 1st October 2013 at 06:57 PM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member shierwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    3,334

    Default Re: will camera work in cold weather or get frozen?

    The greater danger is that the Camera gets stolen or robbed off. That's a bigger risk than being frozen.

    If you've these concerns, don't bring. Same goes with your notebook.................

    Quote Originally Posted by Henryks View Post
    I have a OMD EM5, with the kit lens and a 25mm f1.4.

    And I am planning to bring it to Harbin, China in Dec and I heard that the temperature may go as low as -25 degrees...
    Will there be any problem with my camera? Will it still work? Will it get frozen?

    Is it that if it is snowing it is better to use my kit lens which is weather sealed? If not snowing then I can use my non weather sealed 25mm f1.4?

  14. #14
    Senior Member alwaysjerricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    +65
    Posts
    2,016

    Default

    Hmm will the cold air condense inside the lens after being transferred to a warmer location and form water/moisture inside?

  15. #15

    Default Re: will camera work in cold weather or get frozen?

    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysjerricky View Post
    Hmm will the cold air condense inside the lens after being transferred to a warmer location and form water/moisture inside?
    Thats why ziploc bags (or plastic bags if die die dont have ziploc) is a necessity. Everytime after u shoot outside in freezing conditions, pack ur camera into the ziploc bags BEFORE stepping into any warm places. If u ignore this number one advice, the ice snow on ur equipment will melt within 1 second the moment u step into the warm place, and good luck to ur equipments.

    And 1 second is not an exaggerated timing, its a fact..

  16. #16
    Senior Member alwaysjerricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    +65
    Posts
    2,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by devilry View Post
    Thats why ziploc bags (or plastic bags if die die dont have ziploc) is a necessity. Everytime after u shoot outside in freezing conditions, pack ur camera into the ziploc bags BEFORE stepping into any warm places. If u ignore this number one advice, the ice snow on ur equipment will melt within 1 second the moment u step into the warm place, and good luck to ur equipments. And 1 second is not an exaggerated timing, its a fact..
    Ohhhhh ok thanks! But how does ziploc bags help?

  17. #17

    Default Re: will camera work in cold weather or get frozen?

    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysjerricky View Post
    Ohhhhh ok thanks! But how does ziploc bags help?
    By putting the equipments in the ziploc bags, the eqpt wont be immediately exposed to the warm environment. (The air inside the ziploc acts as a "barrier of air" between the cold eqpt & the warm environment.)

    In this way, the eqpt will not immediately condense & thus the eqpt will not turn wet.

    Instead it will slowly warm up to the room temperature. After abt 30mins or so, u are fine to open the ziploc and store in ur bag..

  18. #18
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: will camera work in cold weather or get frozen?

    Quote Originally Posted by devilry View Post
    By putting the equipments in the ziploc bags, the eqpt wont be immediately exposed to the warm environment. (The air inside the ziploc acts as a "barrier of air" between the cold eqpt & the warm environment.)

    In this way, the eqpt will not immediately condense & thus the eqpt will not turn wet.

    Instead it will slowly warm up to the room temperature. After abt 30mins or so, u are fine to open the ziploc and store in ur bag..
    Actually, your explanation is incorrect. That is not the reason why the ziploc bags are useful.

    Very cold air is always dry, because cold air cannot hold much water vapor. So by putting the camera in the bag while still outside, the air trapped inside the bag with the camera is still dry.

    When a cold surface comes in contact with warmer air with higher humidity, the cold surface will cause the warm air to release the humidity, which causes the condensation. So the surface that touches the warm humid air indoors is the surface of the ziploc bag. So the condensation will form on the outside of the ziploc bag. Even when the air in the bag becomes warm and comes into contact with the camera, the air is still dry air since it is trapped outside when it was cold and dry.

    And there is no need to wait 30mins. around 5-10 mins will be sufficient.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 1st October 2013 at 07:40 PM.

  19. #19
    Senior Member alwaysjerricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    +65
    Posts
    2,016

    Default

    Ohhh I see. Either way it's better to use a ziploc bag
    Thanks Devilry and Daredevil123 for the explanation! Will take note of this when I travel to cold countries in the future.

  20. #20
    Moderator keithwee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LittleRedDot
    Posts
    7,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Actually, your explanation is incorrect. That is not the reason why the ziploc bags are useful. Very cold air is always dry, because cold air cannot hold much water vapor. So by putting the camera in the bag while still outside, the air trapped inside the bag with the camera is still dry. When a cold surface comes in contact with warmer air with higher humidity, the cold surface will cause the warm air to release the humidity, which causes the condensation. So the surface that touches the warm humid air indoors is the surface of the ziploc bag. So the condensation will form on the outside of the ziploc bag. Even when the air in the bag becomes warm and comes into contact with the camera, the air is still dry air since it is trapped outside when it was cold and dry. And there is no need to wait 30mins. around 5-10 mins will be sufficient.
    Learnt something new today re the Ziplock and the why. Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •