Thread: Same old debate

Default Re: Same old debate

drooling over same thing(s)...

A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

Try shooting that eagle flying 800 m above with your point and shoot camera and you will know the limit. Haha

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    Try shooting that eagle flying 800 m above with your point and shoot camera and you will know the limit. Haha
    ya, very true.

Lets settle the debate once and for all.

BOTH ARE IMPORTANT!

What the different between "Got all the tools but don't know how to use", and "Got no tools but know what to use" ?

the first one looks more Pros.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Deregistered

this debate reminds me of the 6 blind men touching an elephant.
    some say the ele is a rod, some say it is rope blah, blah and blah.

It will only take a wise and unblind man to tell them that "YOU ARE ALL TALKING ABOUT THE SAME THING".....the creature called "PHOTOGRAPHY"

You noticed that the article acknowledges the need for certain gear in certain situations?
    The saying ‘right tools for the right job’ is apt.
    The given examples both don't need it, and that's the point of the article: many subjects do not require 5D3 + L (and the respective combos of other brands).
    EOS

Of course I do agree you can always maximize the potential of your gear. Isn't that also part of photography? However, there is no denying that the gears make a different. That is why we have advance in technology.

I also agree that sometimes we tends to acquire for the sake of owning and that is something we should be mindful.

Of course I do agree you can always maximize the potential of your gear. Isn't that also part of photography? However, there is no denying that the gears make a different.
    I cannot agree. Photography to maximize equipment usage or to drive it to the limits? Let this be done by equipment testers who want to see when the camera breaks. There is nothing about photography in it. A camera is not a race car and only a few photographers will operate their cameras beyond equipment specs (temperature, humidity, altitude).
    How much (or to be correct: how little) difference it really makes we can clearly see in the two examples and also in another one published on Luminous Landscape: the comparison between a Canon G10 and a Hasselblad with P35+ back. While there is a technical difference in all the results the question remains: does it matter for the respective subject? Bear in mind: all the mentioned examples are not talking about your bird in the sky, but rather common subjects and situations that can be handled by PnS cameras. And if they can handle it, it does not require more
    EOS

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    I cannot agree. Photography to maximize equipment usage or to drive it to the limits? Let this be done by equipment testers who want to see when the camera breaks. There is nothing about photography in it. A camera is not a race car and only a few photographers will operate their cameras beyond equipment specs (temperature, humidity, altitude).
    How much (or to be correct: how little) difference it really makes we can clearly see in the two examples and also in another one published on Luminous Landscape: the comparison between a Canon G10 and a Hasselblad with P35+ back. While there is a technical difference in all the results the question remains: does it matter for the respective subject? Bear in mind: all the mentioned examples are not talking about your bird in the sky, but rather common subjects and situations that can be handled by PnS cameras. And if they can handle it, it does not require more
    lets just say different strokes for different folks.

some like to "torture" their equipment and derive the kicks from doing so.

some would just polish their beloved camera everyday and put it back to the dry box without even dare to bring it out for some shooting. LOL

No right and no wrong. As long as you feel shiok! in what you are doing. You can go ahead and keep on buying, nothing wrong with that, as long as you can afford it, and help us sustain our camera manufacturers to make sure they survive. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by d2xpeter View Post
    l
    This is the type of photographer who likes to torture his camera:

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    This is the type of photographer who likes to torture his camera:

Torture in order to enjoy....

see what i mean? it is applicable in all genre. LOLL

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    You noticed that the article acknowledges the need for certain gear in certain situations? The given examples both don't need it, and that's the point of the article: many subjects do not require 5D3 + L (and the respective combos of other brands).
    I LIKE using 5D3 + L so I save hard to buy it. No it does not help me take better pictures. I just like it. Different strokes for different folks I guess. And yes I agree that there are certain gear that are needed in certain situations and not all call for L or other brand's equivalent. It's just one of those things la. Hahahah.

i think the point the article was trying to make is that spending 5x more on camera gear does not result in 5x better photos automatically.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    i think the point the article was trying to make is that spending 5x more on camera gear does not result in 5x better photos automatically.
    It is the old rule of diminishing returns (a.k.a. Increasing relative cost).

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    Yep, that's it. But it's not only a lens can focus on the wrong point
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    What the different between "Got all the tools but don't know how to use", and "Got no tools but know what to use" ?

the first one looks more Pros.
    And more Pros know the second one
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

some would just polish their beloved camera everyday and put it back to the dry box without even dare to bring it out for some shooting. LOL

No right and no wrong. As long as you feel shiok! in what you are doing. You can go ahead and keep on buying, nothing wrong with that, as long as you can afford it, and help us sustain our camera manufacturers to make sure they survive. LOL
    some are afraid their gear got exposed to too mucho dust and another one afraid of fungus and then, one afraid of finger prints and finally, afraid of ghost, not forgetting rain too. --- after 3 years, the gear is still in showroom condition so that you can sell or rather fetch a good price and get the brand new gear.
    Do not be afraid [of ghost and bullies] Shoot them......

That's why some are call photographers and some are call cameraman, one loves photography and the other loves camera
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post

That's why some are call photographers and some are call cameraman, one loves photography and the other loves camera
    A Cameraman operates the cameras for filming and works under the Director of Photography. They aren't your run of the mill GWC