Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Benro counterfeit or not?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Benro counterfeit or not?

    Hi all,

    I am still unsure about this: I bought an aluminium Benro tripod while I was in Beijing, it was sold at a normal shop selling photostuff.......

    I have been wondering if this tripod can be considered a 'counterfeit' or not? It does look and work the same as Gitzo.......but at considerable less price. I also own two Gitzo tripods, one aluminium and one Carbon Fibre.

    The description of 'counterfeit' has the inclusion of 'intent to defraud' or 'fraudulent copies'.......the tripod however looks the same as the Gizo, but with a different name. You can consider how one would feel if their picture has been copied and changed a little (but still 99% same as your own image) and published under another persons name?

    Now, this is not a case of trying to sell a Gitzo tripod for a lower price, like those perfumes sold under the same name as the original (they use a different name that can be distinguished from the original), but it still looks the same..........what are your opinions? I know this tripod is being sold in SG, and with that also a copy of Manfrotto tripods.......

    Maybe I should ask Gitzo/Manfrotto what their opinion on this is? :-)

    Hong Sien
    Last edited by hongsien; 15th May 2005 at 05:33 PM.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    Hi all,

    I am still unsure about this: I bought an aluminium Benro tripod while I was in Beijing, it was sold at a normal shop selling photostuff.......

    I have been wondering if this tripod can be considered a 'counterfeit' or not? It does look and work the same as Gitzo.......but at considerable less price. I also own two Gitzo tripods, one aluminium and one Carbon Fibre.

    The description of 'counterfeit' has the inclusion of 'intent to defraud' or 'fraudulent copies'.......the tripod however looks the same as the Gizo, but with a different name. You can consider how one would feel if their picture has been copied and changed a little (but still 99% same as your own image) and published under another persons name?

    Now, this is not a case of trying to sell a Gitzo tripod for a lower price, like those perfumes sold under the same name as the original (they use a different name that can be distinguished from the original), but it still looks the same..........what are your opinions? I know this tripod is being sold in SG, and with that also a copy of Manfrotto tripods.......

    Maybe I should ask Gitzo/Manfrotto what their opinion on this is? :-)

    Hong Sien
    Counterfeiting is defined as trying to pass off a fake as the real thing.

    Since they are NOT using the Gitzo or Manfrotto name, that's not it.

    If Gitzo and Manfrotto have patented their respective designs, then it would be a case of patent violation.

    FWIW, I am wary of Chinese made light stands ;-) They may look like the same quality as Manfrottos, but their die casting quality (for the joints), especially the material used, is very poor.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kahheng
    Counterfeiting is defined as trying to pass off a fake as the real thing.

    Since they are NOT using the Gitzo or Manfrotto name, that's not it.

    If Gitzo and Manfrotto have patented their respective designs, then it would be a case of patent violation.

    FWIW, I am wary of Chinese made light stands ;-) They may look like the same quality as Manfrottos, but their die casting quality (for the joints), especially the material used, is very poor.
    Yeah, I thought so to, but still not feeling nice :-), maybe cause I am such an ass/anal retentive idiot, I still consider them the 'same' ;-)

    I bought some HID lighting (150 watts) from beijing too, very good quality! The stands are still 'standing' too :-), I think you should look at the different brands available there, you would be amazed at the quality available.......I bought mine from Bo-Ling, but I have seen higher end ones: Photon. There are so many brands there out for sale........

    Hong Sien

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    Yeah, I thought so to, but still not feeling nice :-), maybe cause I am such an ass/anal retentive idiot, I still consider them the 'same' ;-)

    I bought some HID lighting (150 watts) from beijing too, very good quality! The stands are still 'standing' too :-), I think you should look at the different brands available there, you would be amazed at the quality available.......I bought mine from Bo-Ling, but I have seen higher end ones: Photon. There are so many brands there out for sale........

    Hong Sien
    I am not sure about the quality of their lighting but I have been looking at the Kangtai 6x17 back and some other smaller things for some time.

    Sadly, if I do go China in the next few years it'll be on the stupid Silk Route

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    guess you could paint the Benro to non-Gitzo colors if that would make you feel better But you know you're not getting a Gitzo with the Benro and you probably don't expect it to last as long or as well built.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    guess you could paint the Benro to non-Gitzo colors if that would make you feel better But you know you're not getting a Gitzo with the Benro and you probably don't expect it to last as long or as well built.
    How do you know?

    HS

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    as in Benro is not Gitzo? I handled one in Hong Kong and it (locks and legs) didn't feel as smooth in operation.

    If anything, Gitzo would be the most anxious abt "counterfeits" and protection of their patents, if any.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kahheng
    I am not sure about the quality of their lighting but I have been looking at the Kangtai 6x17 back and some other smaller things for some time.

    Sadly, if I do go China in the next few years it'll be on the stupid Silk Route
    I just bought the Kangtai 6x12 back, will see how it stands......their 6x17 back is a copy of the japanese Art Panorama........Kangtai is also on eBay:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

    Can also email them: ktchina@hotmail.com to send the goods to SG

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    as in Benro is not Gitzo? I handled one in Hong Kong and it (locks and legs) didn't feel as smooth in operation.
    Sorry, but I have a Gitzo G1228 and it also doesn't lock as a Gitzo.......anyway, it is just a tripod....not a Leica

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    as in Benro is not Gitzo? I handled one in Hong Kong and it (locks and legs) didn't feel as smooth in operation.

    If anything, Gitzo would be the most anxious abt "counterfeits" and protection of their patents, if any.
    If they were patented, it would already be past the 25 years patents are valid for.....:-)

    HS

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    Sorry, but I have a Gitzo G1228 and it also doesn't lock as a Gitzo.......anyway, it is just a tripod....not a Leica
    oh... I meant I handled similar (in material, weight, size and height) models from Benro and Gitzo and they felt different.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    oh... I meant I handled similar (in material, weight, size and height) models from Benro and Gitzo and they felt different.
    Well, I have the Benro G328 (Aluminium), as far as I can see/feel/smell it is very very similar :-). I mean, for the price you can really expect a 100% copy isn't it?

    Also, the G1228 that I have need to be locked very tightly or else the legs still move....very annoying! With the Benro, it locks very easily........could well just be some adjustment inside the locks......

    I have seen the Benro Carbon Fibre G328 selling for SGD 376 in Beijing! Compare that to the Gitzo equivalent G1325/7 price! I think it is >SGD 870.

    HS

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •