Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: "I have a camera so I can take pictures like a Professional"

Default Re: "I have a camera so I can take pictures like a Professional"

Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    Actually, that teenage reaction is quite normal. When a person is not into a particular interest, it is very difficult to appreciate, especially art. A sea is a sea, that is how they see it.

For example, if you ask me to listen to some musical orchestra, I don't think I know how to tell the difference.

However, when you are not sure, you got to be careful with your approach so as not to offend people. Be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkersNg View Post
    My friends always call me crazy for bringing my camera and tripod, claiming that they can do better with their phones.

Sometimes I'll tell them the difference, sometimes I just smile at them.

Also, sometimes its good to know a little of everything, so you won't offend people with your choice of words. I learnt that the hard way.
    Actually... I don't understand why are you guys so afraid of offending people? I mean... those people never care whether they would offend you or not with their tactless remarks.

I am always straight, and I don't really care if I offended them. If they are offended... then too bad, because they offended me first with silly comments like theirs in the first place.

But frankly, I don't care about what people say, if they can shoot with their phone and achieve the same or better result as I with my OMD and 7D... so be it, I might even learn a thing or two from them.... But if they are just loud mouth who know nothing... well, then I plainly ignore them. If they start bugging me... they will get it straight. I can be pretty poisonous with my choice of words too. And if they are offended, well... "haha to them."
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Actually... I don't understand why are you guys so afraid of offending people? I mean... those people never care whether they would offend you or not with their tactless remarks.

I am always straight, and I don't really care if I offended them. If they are offended... then too bad, because they offended me first with silly comments like theirs in the first place.

But frankly, I don't care about what people say, if they can shoot with their phone and achieve the same or better result as I with my OMD and 7D... so be it, I might even learn a thing or two from them.... But if they are just loud mouth who know nothing... well, then I plainly ignore them. If they start bugging me... they will get it straight. I can be pretty poisonous with my choice of words too. And if they are offended, well... "haha to them."
    Well sometimes it isn't all about offending the other party, its about a first impression

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    That's fine. But using your example: would you listen to the orchestra and then claim that you can do the same easily at home with your computer, a soundcard and some software?
    Logically you can't. But being a layperson for music, I may not be able to differentiate and appreciate when both were played for me to listen. So if I say they sound the same, people will be offended. So, my point here is, don't get too personal when someone say something naive. Be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkersNg View Post
    Well sometimes it isn't all about offending the other party, its about a first impression
    Yes... but what about the other party that don't give you face, they sure didn't care about leaving a good impression. Would you still care for what that fella think later on? Of course it would be good to say, "Other people are uncultured, doesn't mean that I must be uncultured like them." But sometime it don't work that way. If that ignorant fella get to think that he/she is correct, well... you are not doing a service for him/her. Sometime people need a hard knock to get them out of their comfort zone and thinking that the world revolve around them.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Yes... but what about the other party that don't give you face, they sure didn't care about leaving a good impression. Would you still care for what that fella think later on? Of course it would be good to say, "Other people are uncultured, doesn't mean that I must be uncultured like them." But sometime it don't work that way. If that ignorant fella get to think that he/she is correct, well... you are not doing a service for him/her. Sometime people need a hard knock to get them out of their comfort zone and thinking that the world revolve around them.
    This one both sides is correct, depends on my mood on that day already

We, the true photographers are always true to our gears. Let the picture talks as shown below.

We.

Wannabe Photographer.

Hope this draws a smile on you....
    ΨM­Π EM-❺ ELITE & MARK II SILVER†7-14 &12-40 PROƒ2.8† †50ƒ0.95† †25&75ƒ1.8†

I was at Garden by the bay recently with my family members. My elder brother told me that what to take when so dark as they experienced either image or background under exposure. I told them, trust me as I got a tripod (they asked me why I need tripod when we walking around in the garden) I sat on the floor, sit up and ask them DONT moves till I said ok. Ended up, they having fun with pose as each photo come out nicely for them. Therefore, you can have a camera but you still need the right knowledge. Btw, I not a PRO, I just take photo for hobby.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

I think all fields will have such ignorant people. Unfortunately or fortunately whichever way you see it, easy access to taking photos has resulted in many whom would normally not even buy a camera to start taking photos. Hence we will only see more of such people. Having said that, there will always be a group that will be trying constantly to improve their photography so no need to get angry over ignorant people. Depending on mood, can ask to see their works or tell them off or smile.

Quote Originally Posted by rainfyre View Post
    I think all fields will have such ignorant people. Unfortunately or fortunately whichever way you see it, easy access to taking photos has resulted in many whom would normally not even buy a camera to start taking photos. Hence we will only see more of such people. Having said that, there will always be a group that will be trying constantly to improve their photography so no need to get angry over ignorant people. Depending on mood, can ask to see their works or tell them off or smile.
    as for some, they see their works (no matter how horrid) as extremely beautiful. so sometimes when you ask to see their works, they think that your's is still worse

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    as for some, they see their works (no matter how horrid) as extremely beautiful. so sometimes when you ask to see their works, they think that your's is still worse
    Beauty in the eyes of the beholder??
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    Beauty in the eyes of the beholder??
    correction: Beer-holder

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    referring to TS's original post .... whether its, skateboarding, cars, motorbikes, stereo, fishing, cycling, painting, drawing, photography.... such comments always exist in one form or another

Often its just an off-the-cuff comment borne out of ignorance and not intentionally to hurt and yes we all feel like pulling out our hair when we hear cheap words make light of our activity

Good to point out the finer aspects of our hobby and maybe generate new entrant into photography
    Best reply I've seen. Ignorance from the young should be tolerated; afterall, we are the matured ones. And I don't dismiss anyone taking photos with phone camera or PnS - they could be better than some of us holding full frame DSLRs. I don't treat knowledge of basic DSLR camera functions as something that's particularly admirable either. Frankly, for myself using Snapseed (eh, I not advertising ok, mods) on my phone produces better stuff than Photoshop, and probably because I am too lazy to even Photoshop.

If someone is ignorant but is willing to learn and admits their deficiencies, I think that's a great step to getting better already. Yeah, it's always easier to put someone ignorant down but not so easy to be humble (myself inclusive - I am normally too proud but I do realize it's my shortcoming).

This is called art. Very subjective. Differ person-to-person.
    Most of the time, I don't really criticise other ppls' photo saying not nice, or crap. It's their (hard)work anyway. Instead I'll just mentioned that it is a good shot (anyway, there is no such thing as bad shot to me). But I'll mainly suggest something to add in to make the shot better.

Haha!! Well thats why its art. anyway no winning such people and you cannot make a convert of everyone so just laugh it off.

Reminds me of an incident 10+years ago at night safari. I was using one of the early digital cam with f1.8 lens it was small whereas beside me was a guy using a kit zoom. Came this auntie commenting loudly, "this kid obviously can't take anything so dark, he needs something big like this - points to the zoom".
    Ignoramus...

Deregistered

I have a fair share of experiences too..

1. My first dslr was a Olympus E-510 and had the dual kit lenses + 70-300mm. As u know, that Olympus body is 2x focal length, so my 70-300mm f/4-5.6 is equivalent to 140-600mm. Got 1 time I was at mt faber shooting the moon. My 2 school mate was there using 70-200mm f/2.8 on a 450D back then.
    Got another of my school mate commented on me say u use this "kiddish lens" shoot what? Look at their lenses, damn "zai" leh.

All I have to say is, they need to crop some areas but I practically don't need to, in order to see the full moon. :P

2. I was at bird park. I used manual zoom to make the cages OOF, then got 3 girls using their prosumer cam n 1 dslr. They commented, "why that guy (me) keep using manual zoom. We shoot all the same leh." I'm kinda pissed n I show them what I did (oof the cage, focus on the birds). Then they kept quiet n went off.

Blog Entries

Photography is a personal journey. Why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Photography is a personal journey. Why bother?
    So don't stop believing

In photography, is confidence and control minus away cockiness

Picture speak louder than words

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast