Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choice of ND filter kits for landscape

Blog Entries

Default Re: Choice of ND filter kits for landscape

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy08 View Post
    I am thinking of getting the following starter filter kits from Adorama for landscape photography. Excluding shipping cost, the package will come up to about S$310.

a. Lee Foundation Kit Filter Holder
    b. Lee 77mm adapter
    c. Hitech 85mm ND Graduated ND Kit, hard edge (1,2 & 3 stops)
    d. Hitech 85mm ND, 1,2 & 3 stops

Are my choices sound? Are there better choices for square/rectangle filter kits under $350? Thanks
    sounds like a pretty educated choice

you got them yet ? please share in Landscapes gallery thanks
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Just my 2c - because I don't use a lot of filters - but my 3 and 6 and 10 stop ND filter does most of the work. As someone mentioned, no point getting 1,2,3; you're better off with 3,6,10. The reason is that you should be able to adjust something else e.g. shutter speed or aperture, for 1-2 stop difference. I also tend to get the same filter size in case I feel like stacking (all my filters are 77mm). Don't use Lee so can't comment on that.

IMO, 3 stop ND is also optional but comes in very useful if you are doing portrait in bright sunlight and you've hit the max shutter speed yet still wanna open the aperture to get maximum bokeh effect. For landscape, I seldom use it, although it does give the flexibility of not having to mess around with the settings a lot.

The note in Adoram is erroneous. Checked with a local vendor and confirmed that LEE foundation kit would only support 100mm filters. Bit the bullet and bought the Big Stopper, 77mm wide adapter and foundation kit. Thanks all for the advice.

Another forumer has also prompted me on the size different between the LEE holder and the Hitech filters. But I understand from the Adorama web site that the holder can be adapted for other filter size. See extract below. However, checking the LEE web site, there seems to be no mention of such adaption. I will pay a visit to TKPhoto to verify. Thanks

"The foundation kit is at the centre of the Lee Filter holder system and is primarily designed to take standard 100mm filters, although other filter sizes can be adapted to fit. The unit is supplied in component form to allow the photographer to construct a filter holder tailored to his or her individual needs."

Blog Entries

The note in Adoram is erroneous. Checked with a local vendor and confirmed that LEE foundation kit would only support 100mm filters. Bit the bullet and bought the Big Stopper, 77mm wide adapter and foundation kit. Thanks all for the advice.
    Good luck and have fun. Make sure you check out this thread for more info...
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803029

anybody can intro a cheap kit to startup with? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kezane View Post
    anybody can intro a cheap kit to startup with? thanks
    You will have to decide which type you want. NDs, GNDs. Circular or Square (got a couple of sizes. The most affordable is the "P" size).

For dirt cheap saquare filters, you can look at those ebay ones which cost less than $20 for one whole set of square filters. These may give the basics of filter usage. But of course, the down side is that the color cast from these filters are pretty bad for some of them. Not uncorrectable thou, but just more time consuming.

But before buying anything, I'll suggest a good read at this thread: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803029
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Im looking at square filters to try out first before I invest in a better filters. Any brands to look out for at ebay? Thank u

Quote Originally Posted by kezane View Post
    Im looking at square filters to try out first before I invest in a better filters. Any brands to look out for at ebay? Thank u
    to try out? I rather not to waste any money.

just borrow from somebody during an outing, or look out the demo sessions by Haida filters.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    to try out? I rather not to waste any money. just borrow from somebody during an outing, or look out the demo sessions by Haida filters.
    Second this. Photosphere organizes these demo sessions which are very useful as there is nothing like using the thing first before deciding to buy

Third the suggestion on Photosphere. Great demo sessions and one-to-one explanation when required. Highly recommend you purchase your filters from them.

sorry to TS if I post my q here.

Seems Lee GND is only up to 3 stops while Hitech is up to 4 stops. But earlier threads mention 6 stops onwards. Where can I find such GNDs?

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by anhyeuem View Post

Seems Lee GND is only up to 3 stops while Hitech is up to 4 stops. But earlier threads mention 6 stops onwards. Where can I find such GNDs?

Thanks all.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...349+4239813950
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

You only need 2 filter for landscape:

1) A 9 or 10 stop ND
    2) A 3 or 4 stop ND

The rest are not so important, unless you restrict yourself to taking only 1 shot or no post processing.

Quote Originally Posted by anhyeuem View Post

Thanks all.
    You won't need a 6 stop GND.

The threads are probably talking about 6 stop ND filters. Different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythmaker View Post
    You only need 2 filter for landscape:

1) A 9 or 10 stop ND
    2) A 3 or 4 stop ND

The rest are not so important, unless you restrict yourself to taking only 1 shot or no post processing.
    Untrue.

I also thought so earlier on, then when chatting with a photo contact on his FB page I realized that there are instances where you DO want to use a GND. Of course GND is limited in some sense, but take the following example:

1) Sunset timing
    2) Sun is going down, glorious skies and colors appear, which last for a limited amount of time
    3) You want a long exposure shot for whatever reason (moving clouds, smoothing out the water)

Blending the shot can sometimes result in a mismatch between the details of the skies and what you see in the rest of the scene. If you have the sun out in its full glory but it isn't showing in the reflection or casting shadows, etc, it's not ideal either.

So GNDs are always useful, just whether you care enough to buy and bring them out. I don't.

woah u nearly gave me a heart attack!!!

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Untrue.

I also thought so earlier on, then when chatting with a photo contact on his FB page I realized that there are instances where you DO want to use a GND. Of course GND is limited in some sense, but take the following example:

1) Sunset timing
    2) Sun is going down, glorious skies and colors appear, which last for a limited amount of time
    3) You want a long exposure shot for whatever reason (moving clouds, smoothing out the water)

Blending the shot can sometimes result in a mismatch between the details of the skies and what you see in the rest of the scene. If you have the sun out in its full glory but it isn't showing in the reflection or casting shadows, etc, it's not ideal either.

So GNDs are always useful, just whether you care enough to buy and bring them out. I don't.
    I stand corrected

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12