Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: Would you buy camera overseas just cause it's cheaper?

  1. #1

    Default Would you buy camera overseas just cause it's cheaper?

    Hi,

    Just wondering if you had compare prices for some cameras overseas and local prices, found that overseas is cheaper

    would you buy and didn't care if it had international warranty?

    would you buy it just cause it's cheaper and hopefully it won't breakdown within the year?

    What are some of the camera's you bought overseas? was it worth it?

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by watzzup View Post
    Hi,

    Just wondering if you had compare prices for some cameras overseas and local prices, found that overseas is cheaper

    would you buy and didn't care if it had international warranty?

    would you buy it just cause it's cheaper and hopefully it won't breakdown within the year?

    What are some of the camera's you bought overseas? was it worth it?
    Not the first time this topic is brought up. Go do a search.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Would you buy camera overseas just cause it's cheaper?

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    Not the first time this topic is brought up. Go do a search.
    Sorry ,didn't know that. i'll do a search

  4. #4

    Default

    If it's significantly cheaper then it makes sense right

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,616

    Default Re: Would you buy camera overseas just cause it's cheaper?

    Quote Originally Posted by trd2970 View Post
    If it's significantly cheaper then it makes sense right

    Even though overseas are cheaper but do consider the aftermath of a break down,non warranty status
    repairs will cost a bomb.
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

  6. #6

    Default Re: Would you buy camera overseas just cause it's cheaper?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeisser View Post
    Even though overseas are cheaper but do consider the aftermath of a break down,non warranty status
    repairs will cost a bomb.
    Yeah that's what i meant, cheap vs. non warranty status.

    Cheap being hopeful it last as long as it's suppose to be. at least a yr or more cause even local warranty is about a year.

  7. #7
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,393

    Default Re: Would you buy camera overseas just cause it's cheaper?

    Warranty is a bet, or a promise. Nothing more. The difference is: if you take it, you have to pay upfront, the camera maker will only pay if something breaks. Your call.
    EOS

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Would you buy camera overseas just cause it's cheaper?

    I do not expect anything I buy to break down soon after 1 year from purchase date.
    I am still unhappy if it breaks down within the warranty period. That means lousy QC by manufacturer. That means lemon.

    Well manufactured things are made to last. You can tell from the quality. Like German kitchen knives.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 23rd September 2013 at 01:29 AM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Would you buy camera overseas just cause it's cheaper?

    We have a national duty to buy from Singapore camera shops even if it costs more.

    Singapore camera shops employ Singaporeans and the shops pay tax to government and thereby it helps to build roads, schools, hospitals, playgrounds etc.
    Last edited by Sion; 23rd September 2013 at 12:26 AM.

  10. #10
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Would you buy camera overseas just cause it's cheaper?

    Only if the 'saving' is significant enough...

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  11. #11
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default

    You have to weigh on the warranty issue and any subsequent tangible price advantage after declaring items at customs for taxation.

    Also be careful of tourist scammers in hk.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    We have a national duty to buy from Singapore camera shops even if it costs more.

    Singapore camera shops employ Singaporeans and the shops pay tax to government and thereby it helps to build roads, schools, hospitals, playgrounds etc.
    Best citizen award.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeisser View Post

    Even though overseas are cheaper but do consider the aftermath of a break down,non warranty status
    repairs will cost a bomb.
    That's why I mention it has to be significantly cheaper...

  13. #13
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,393

    Default Re: Would you buy camera overseas just cause it's cheaper?

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    You have to weigh on the warranty issue and any subsequent tangible price advantage after declaring items at customs for taxation.
    Haven't seen any customs officer checking for electronic devices on arrival here in SG. They have other items in focus.
    Of course, if one has 3 cameras sealed in original boxes in the luggage one might get some attention. Throw the carton, put the camera into hand luggage, done.
    EOS

  14. #14

    Default

    Frankly i will consider buying from Malaysia if cheaper. Even if it's not covered by international warranty, at least it's still not that much of a hassle to travel to jb/kl to get the equipment fixed.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Would you buy camera overseas just cause it's cheaper?

    I would buy if the salesgirl there is better

  16. #16

    Default

    I am going kL next week. Any good shop to recommend ?
    | 5Diii | 24 ii | 40 | 24-70 ii | 24-105 | 70-200 F4 IS | 270 ii | 600EX-RT |

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ahboy168 View Post
    I am going kL next week. Any good shop to recommend ?
    I bought from boeing photo sdn bhd at sungei wang plaza. Not sure if they're the cheapest, but service is good.

    U can check out the local malaysia photography forum photomalaysia for recommendations

  18. #18

    Default Re: Would you buy camera overseas just cause it's cheaper?

    This one win!! LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post
    I would buy if the salesgirl there is better
    A different perspective. Interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    We have a national duty to buy from Singapore camera shops even if it costs more.

    Singapore camera shops employ Singaporeans and the shops pay tax to government and thereby it helps to build roads, schools, hospitals, playgrounds etc.

    Yeah, coz i'm eyeing on an x20 that's roughly about $130 dols cheaper..
    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Only if the 'saving' is significant enough...

  19. #19
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Would you buy camera overseas just cause it's cheaper?

    Quote Originally Posted by ahboy168 View Post
    I am going kL next week. Any good shop to recommend ?
    If you buy camera gear from KL the robbers will wait outside the door and rob you.

    Best is to buy two. One to be robbed to make the robbers happy and the other hidden inside your shirt.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Would you buy camera overseas just cause it's cheaper?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    If you buy camera gear from KL the robbers will wait outside the door and rob you.

    Best is to buy two. One to be robbed to make the robbers happy and the other hidden inside your shirt.
    I thought the second is to take picture of the robber after he rob you

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •