Thread: A qns on min focus distance

Default A qns on min focus distance

Hi all, I was thinking of shooting dramatic scenes with a wide angle, but with a small object in the foreground. However, this usually means that the min focusing distance is about 50cm. The question is, is it possible to obtain greater sharpness for a "macro" object after stopping down the aperture, and let it be in focus even though its nearer than the min focusing distance?

TIA for all advices
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Splutter
    Hi all, I was thinking of shooting dramatic scenes with a wide angle, but with a small object in the foreground. However, this usually means that the min focusing distance is about 50cm. The question is, is it possible to obtain greater sharpness for a "macro" object after stopping down the aperture, and let it be in focus even though its nearer than the min focusing distance?

TIA for all advices
    Are you refering to wide angle closeup ? How small is your foreground object ?

There are a few ways as follows:
    - use a Split Field filter
    - use a 12mm ext. tube with your WA lens (need to stop down to f22 or smaller)
    - use Consumer digital camera tt with wide angle add-on/build-in + macro mode
    - take separate photos and use Photoshop to merge them together
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Foreground objects about the size of a flower maybe? Would using a ext tube lose infinity focus? I never see a split field focus before, thats interesting
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr