Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Northern Lights

Good luck with the lights! Am in Tromso and been lucky enough to see the lights for the last whole week except one. Good luck with Finland, it seems colder there! Was -25 to -28 the day before!

Default Re: Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by rainfyre View Post
    Good luck with the lights! Am in Tromso and been lucky enough to see the lights for the last whole week except one. Good luck with Finland, it seems colder there! Was -25 to -28 the day before!
    Did you see anything on the 9-10 Jan? There was a solar flare forcast. My wife did not want to go out again at night...

Thanks for the well wishes, Norway is a beautiful country, the northernmost I have ever gotten to was the Lofoten islands. Actually caught a glimpse of the aurora on one of the nights in Lofoten, but it was spring.

I hope to see them in Finland on clearer night skies this time!

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Driving around Rovaniemi, Levi, Lake Inari for 12 days.

Ryan
    Nice. I always look forward to your pics. Umm don't forget to post
    -------------------------------
    Endure. In enduring grow strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Zichar View Post
    Nice. I always look forward to your pics. Umm don't forget to post
    Thx bro. Nowadays a little too busy to surf CS

nice...

Quote Originally Posted by dniwkh View Post
    Did you see anything on the 9-10 Jan? There was a solar flare forcast. My wife did not want to go out again at night...
    Yes I saw the lights. It was amazing on the 9th and no show on the 10th. I think it has to do with luck as well, a solar flare forecast does not immediately translate into a good show or could even be no show!

Having said that, I have to say I was rather underwhelmed when I first saw the lights. They are nothing like the vibrant photos we see left right centre! I call it the dirty little secret of the northern lights. No one mentions it. I am not saying it isn't amazing, it is, but nowhere is it as vibrant as what it has been portrayed to be.

Yes I saw the lights. It was amazing on the 9th and no show on the 10th. I think it has to do with luck as well, a solar flare forecast does not immediately translate into a good show or could even be no show!

Having said that, I have to say I was rather underwhelmed when I first saw the lights. They are nothing like the vibrant photos we see left right centre! I call it the dirty little secret of the northern lights. No one mentions it. I am not saying it isn't amazing, it is, but nowhere is it as vibrant as what it has been portrayed to be.
    Do you have pics of the 9th? I want to see what I have missed

I think it all depends on the intensity. The night when I saw it, when it was low on the horizon, it is kind of underwhelming. But for a short period of time like 10 mins, it really intensified and spread overhead, dancing. That was quite impressive. The only gripe I had was the terrible location (coastal) I can which feels like in a hurricane....

If we were in somewhere with some cover from the wind, it will be probably perfect. The pics are more contrasty but being on locations with no light pollution, the lights do feel strong and dramatic to me.

Bear in mind, the KP was only 3 which is probably classified as uncommon (not rare). I think most of the northern lights seen are likely to be 2s...

-33 degree C in Rovaniemi yesterday (during the day). My Lowepro buckles broke. My car plastic hp holder broke. The 3M vhb stickers lost their grip. Hp doesn't work for long in open. Garmin screen responsiveness dropped, 5d2 liveview became really sluggish, and for a while I thought my Landcruiser engine stalled, topped by ( thankfully superficial ) frost bite over the cheeks (myself to blame). Pretty eventful and loving it!

No aurora past 2 nights. Snowmobile for 5 hrs yesterday, grilled salmon in a Finnish Kota. Looking forward to more snowmobiling and reindeer sleigh later today. Hopefully I get at least a shot at seeing the northern lights this week.

Ryan

-33 degree C in Rovaniemi yesterday (during the day). My Lowepro buckles broke. My car plastic hp holder broke. The 3M vhb stickers lost their grip. Hp doesn't work for long in open. Garmin screen responsiveness dropped, 5d2 liveview became really sluggish, and for a while I thought my Landcruiser engine stalled, topped by ( thankfully superficial ) frost bite over the cheeks (myself to blame). Pretty eventful and loving it!

No aurora past 2 nights. Snowmobile for 5 hrs yesterday, grilled salmon in a Finnish Kota. Looking forward to more snowmobiling and reindeer sleigh later today. Hopefully I get at least a shot at seeing the northern lights this week.

Ryan
    Don't tell me that you don't have heat pack around your camera when out in the cold? That's why weather too cold, electronic also can't take it. Best stick with film.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Ryan
    -33 deg C??? What sort of gloves do you have with you? I am quite surprised you enjoyed such cold weather... To me it will almost be impossible to go outdoors...

Loved your norway pics previously.

Thanks! The aurora activity seemed to be picking up. Kp value was almost 4 in the mid afternoon, now 3. But very cloudy here. Cannot see anything, not even the stars.

On a side note, for anyone visiting finland, the Husky sleigh ride at Levi Husky farm is absolutely overwhelming. The wolves and half wolves are beautiful. Skiing is fun as well.

Fingers crossed for better weather to see the northern lights. Else would need to do another northernly winter trip.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by dniwkh View Post
    -33 deg C??? What sort of gloves do you have with you?
    I am using triclimate gloves & triclimate top. Make sure to get good base layers.

I have a thinsulate shooter/mitts that is convenient for using camera or devices but unfortunately mine is too thin to withstand anything under -20.

Ryan

Blog Entries

Just came back fro Finland yesterday, did not see the light show
    but good thing to note is that the cold weather did not affect the equipment that much
    the DF's battery (EN-EL14a) could last the whole day without problems
    did a time lapse (indoors) with the older battery (EN-EL14) and managed to get around 600-700 shots

while on a husky ride in the snow my lens frosted over
    I believe the temp was hovering around -10 to -15 degrees C

I used Lowepro gloves
    Last edited by ortega; 10th February 2014 at 12:22 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12