Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northern Lights

Default Northern Lights

I am hoping to catch the Northern Lights, has anyone been who can offer some advise on how I can plan this trip. I just realized I missed William Chua's photography session in July.

Default Re: Northern Lights

I have been to Norway to see the northern lights. Tromso is a good place to see the northern lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropshot View Post
    I am hoping to catch the Northern Lights, has anyone been who can offer some advise on how I can plan this trip. I just realized I missed William Chua's photography session in July.
    He is leading a group in coming months to Tromso... You could think abt joining him...

Deregistered

For Northern lights, can travel to Alaska as well especially in winter - the lights are really good- would be good to stay there at least a week to increase the chances of seeing the lights

For photography these items are a must
    1) Good Tripod
    2) Wireless/ Wired Remote Timer
    3) Fish Eye Lens as opposed to wide angle as it can capture the vastness of the skies
    4) Warm clothes! as you will be out in the cold waiting for the lights....

Tip: You can buy this boots called the 'Bunny Boots'. Its used for extreme cold. It protects the feet from the cold which creeps up from the ground into yr legs.

Big difference between this boot vs the thickest boots you can find on the market.
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

To add on to what JacePhoto said, don't forget gloves and mittens too! In the extreme cold, you can get frostbites just within minutes of exposure to your bare hands.

Trust me, I know... and it is not a laughing matter!

I am planning to catch the Northern Lights too next year. In Canada though.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I realized wool insoles did the job of keeping me pretty warm, no need to buy special shoes (Bunny Boots) Unless if you have extra cash and space in suitcase. We also used heat packs, neck and face warmers. We survived -19 degrees.

Crampons for ice trekking but (Walkers) for street walking on minor slippery surfaces are good to have. I slipped a couple of times, got tired of it and bought the walker. It's a rubber band with steels coils that you can attach to the bottom of your trekking shoes.

I stay 3 night in Reykjavik, 2 nights at Hella Cottage, 2 nights at Blu Lagoon. We did the self-drive which was very easy if you take it slow. It should be save although the locals were telling us not to do it as it was forecasted snow fall and rain. We survived.

If you are going to catch Northern Lights, I think Tromso would be a better location but if you need to go dip in the Blue Lagoon, then Iceland.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropshot View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I realized wool insoles did the job of keeping me pretty warm, no need to buy special shoes (Bunny Boots) Unless if you have extra cash and space in suitcase. We also used heat packs, neck and face warmers. We survived -19 degrees.

Crampons for ice trekking but (Walkers) for street walking on minor slippery surfaces are good to have. I slipped a couple of times, got tired of it and bought the walker. It's a rubber band with steels coils that you can attach to the bottom of your trekking shoes.

I stay 3 night in Reykjavik, 2 nights at Hella Cottage, 2 nights at Blu Lagoon. We did the self-drive which was very easy if you take it slow. It should be save although the locals were telling us not to do it as it was forecasted snow fall and rain. We survived.

If you are going to catch Northern Lights, I think Tromso would be a better location but if you need to go dip in the Blue Lagoon, then Iceland.
    i am staying reykjavik 4 nights. do you know where is the closest and easiest place to drive to for northern lights? i have a pregnant wife and five year old kid so we want some place simple just to escape the city lights

I just came back from Iceland. You have got to drive to someplace that is near to the airport to catch the lights. I went with grayline but did not get too much of a show. It was just too faint for anyone to enjoy. Keep your wife and child warm....it is really cold. Take care.

Good Day All,

I just came back from Iceland myself.

I had thought I shared my some photos of the Northern Lights I caught.

Not the greatest but hey at least I got to see the aurora borealis ^_____^)v

Quote Originally Posted by dniwkh View Post
    i am staying reykjavik 4 nights. do you know where is the closest and easiest place to drive to for northern lights? i have a pregnant wife and five year old kid so we want some place simple just to escape the city lights
    The nearest is Grotta Lighthouse about 10 minutes driving from the Reyjavik. It is not dark enough but still an ideal place to catch the NL. I have seen it during one of my night in Reyjavik.

If you want to venture further and a dark place, the thingvellir is an alternative.

Here is the map, refer to Point B where the lighthouse located.

Quote Originally Posted by louislkw View Post
    The nearest is Grotta Lighthouse about 10 minutes driving from the Reyjavik. It is not dark enough but still an ideal place to catch the NL. I have seen it during one of my night in Reyjavik.

If you want to venture further and a dark place, the thingvellir is an alternative.

Here is the map, refer to Point B where the lighthouse located.

thanks for the advice. Thingvellir is what was recommended on another website. The lighthouse looks really close to the apartments I am staying. Probably worth a quick drive once there is activity.

Quote Originally Posted by dniwkh View Post
    thanks for the advice. Thingvellir is what was recommended on another website. The lighthouse looks really close to the apartments I am staying. Probably worth a quick drive once there is activity.
    Once there is an activity and by the time you reached there, perhaps it is gone. The intensity is dependent and could be last for few minutes and back to nothing as clouds move over.

Keep yourself warm and wear layers. You can stay inside the car to keep you warm and monitor the sky.
    Last edited by louislkw; 22nd December 2013 at 05:13 PM.

Just got back from UK/iceland. The weather was terrible in UK but great in iceland. You win some you lose some.

Was there for only 4 nights. First night too tired after the flight. 2nd night joined a norther lights tour and saw a brilliant display. Overhead lights, dancing...

Third night fell asleep after golden circle tour. Woke up at 1230 am and saw a display right outside my apartment in Reykavik city center. Woke my family up and drove to grotto lighthouse and shot a very faint display at 1am. My wife and child was NOT HAPPY from lousing their sleep.

Last night on the 9th of Jan, there was forecasted KP=7!!! My wife said don't want to do and see because she too tired after the South Coast tour. She say see already why must see again. So we stayed in hotel again....

The amazing thing was the sky was pretty clear for all four nights...
    Last edited by dniwkh; 11th January 2014 at 05:32 PM.

Blog Entries

I will be heading to Finland - Lapland to try to catch the northern lights in Feb

I am visiting the Finnish lapland this coming Friday for the aurora borealis.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    I am visiting the Finnish lapland this coming Friday for the aurora borealis.

Ryan
    Which part of the finnish lapland are you heading?
    I am going next month.

Thats really awesome! thansk for the information
    Canon 60D | And Legs as Lens to cover every single focal length i ever needs.

Quote Originally Posted by cherish123 View Post

Which part of the finnish lapland are you heading?
    I am going next month.
    Driving around Rovaniemi, Levi, Lake Inari for 12 days.

Ryan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast