Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 85

Thread: is this truth or BS?

  1. #41
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post

    I don't think I need to delve deeper into the reasons why people WANT to have a degree. Anyway it is strange for the a minister to say this especially when my very experienced and capable colleague, who is a diploma holder, is not approved by the govt to do the work that I am doing just because he is not a degree holder.
    Unless you are looking at a specialised skill set, such as accounting, engineering etc or wish to work in the public sector, not having a degree is not a bleak future. You painted a picture of bleakness and doom if one does not have a degree. Do you really believe that is the case?

    As you know, in the public sector, it's all about paper qualifications, rightly or wrongly so. That I am not denying.

    If one's goal in life is to work in the public sector, then yes, by all means, work your arse off for that degree because if you do not have a degree, then you might not even get hired.

    But I would urge those who want to get a degree just because of a job to really think twice. Is this the industry you want to enter or do you just want a degree because everyone else has one?

    I for one will not take a course of study I have absolutely no interest in. I know many who force themselves to complete a course of study because they just want that piece of paper.

    I hope things change and people pursue what they are interested in, rather than what they think others want out of them.

  2. #42
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post

    "A degree begets you respect, social mobility and access to beautiful and educated women." - Laozi.

    I am not sure about that last bit

  3. #43
    Senior Member oceanpriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ghim Moh
    Posts
    3,453

    Default Re: is this truth or BS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Long Thai Bean View Post
    its the truth ... we DON'T need tuition ... just en-RICH-ment classes ....
    you mean this type of en-RICH-ment class?

  4. #44

    Default Re: is this truth or BS?

    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Unless you are looking at a specialised skill set, such as accounting, engineering etc or wish to work in the public sector, not having a degree is not a bleak future. You painted a picture of bleakness and doom if one does not have a degree. Do you really believe that is the case?

    As you know, in the public sector, it's all about paper qualifications, rightly or wrongly so. That I am not denying.

    If one's goal in life is to work in the public sector, then yes, by all means, work your arse off for that degree because if you do not have a degree, then you might not even get hired.

    But I would urge those who want to get a degree just because of a job to really think twice. Is this the industry you want to enter or do you just want a degree because everyone else has one?

    I for one will not take a course of study I have absolutely no interest in. I know many who force themselves to complete a course of study because they just want that piece of paper.

    I hope things change and people pursue what they are interested in, rather than what they think others want out of them.
    i can't do anything else because i only have a PSLE cert

    but i'm happy at Starbucks

  5. #45
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: is this truth or BS?

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    i can't do anything else because i only have a PSLE cert

    but i'm happy at Starbucks
    You are the BEST!


  6. #46
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: is this truth or BS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    "A degree begets you respect, social mobility and access to beautiful and educated women." - Laozi.

    The last point is the most motivating point... all the others are bullshit. hahahahahaha.

    But... actually there is another theory and I think my theory holds more truth.

    "Having lots of money will begets you respect, social mobility and access to beautiful and educated women." - Xiaozi
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  7. #47

    Default Re: is this truth or BS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    "A degree begets you respect, social mobility and access to beautiful and educated women." - Laozi.

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    "Having lots of money will begets you respect, social mobility and access to beautiful and educated women." - Xiaozi
    I don't know why you guys are so into educated women, they tend to argue more.


  8. #48
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post

    i can't do anything else because i only have a PSLE cert

    but i'm happy at Starbucks
    See! A shining example of one who has made it in life without a degree.

  9. #49
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post

    I don't know why you guys are so into educated women, they tend to argue more.
    Why? Afraid of a little disagreement?

  10. #50

    Default Re: is this truth or BS?

    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Why? Afraid of a little disagreement?
    Are you an educated woman?

  11. #51
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post

    Are you an educated woman?
    No I am an uneducated lout.

  12. #52

    Default Re: is this truth or BS?

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    i can't do anything else because i only have a PSLE cert
    kei, there are many things you can do.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...t_billionaires

  13. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post

    See! A shining example of one who has made it in life without a degree.
    Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post

    kei, there are many things you can do.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...t_billionaires
    I love Starbucks

  14. #54

    Default Re: is this truth or BS?

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    I love Starbucks
    Great! You can open your own one, many in China.




  15. #55
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: is this truth or BS?

    Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    I don't know why you guys are so into educated women, they tend to argue more.

    Well... I don't mind. I have very good ear plugs and my company made excellent noise cancellation headphones
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  16. #56
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,283

    Default Re: is this truth or BS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    "A degree begets you respect, social mobility and access to beautiful and educated women." - Laozi.

    +1

    It is a practical world out there bro G.

    Dont take 100% what has put across to you by the govt. But you can listen 100% to the wise man Laozi. LOL

  17. #57
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,283

    Default Re: is this truth or BS?

    A woman who only has a psle cert and cannot do anything else will definitely feel more secure marrying a man with a degreee.

    I think this statement is still quite applicable today. LOL

  18. #58

    Default Re: is this truth or BS?

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Well... I don't mind. I have very good ear plugs and my company made excellent noise cancellation headphones
    I followed LKY's advice, now I think I need a pair of your company's good noise cancellation headphones.

    Mr Lee Kuan Yew recently said at the Human Capital Summit held last month: "You marry a non-graduate, then you are going to worry if your son or daughter is going to make it to the university."
    http://sgforums.com/forums/10/topics/336662

  19. #59

    Default Re: is this truth or BS?

    one of the reasons why folks complain that it is expensive to raise kids here......

  20. #60
    Member Foxshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    In cat's stomach
    Posts
    849

    Default Re: is this truth or BS?

    Quote Originally Posted by lankyal View Post
    one of the reasons why folks complain that it is expensive to raise kids here......
    Despite that, there are many non-singaporeans who die die want their kids to study here on scholarship or not. Must be too much $.
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •