Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 85

Thread: is this truth or BS?

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post

    Such a public demonstration is depressing, taking a step back with dysfunctional upbringing style.
    Very common here. It's the norm.
    Alpha

  2. #22
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    It's the norm.
    Doesn't bode well the social and cognitive development of the future generations.

    To survive the great rat race, there is more than getting certificates and being book smart.

  3. #23

    Default Re: is this truth or BS?

    Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post
    lol
    i can BS anything on the statutory declaration, when there's no one/or way to enforce it.
    how are you going to check that parents haven't been secretly sending their kids to tuition classes? maybe they've been disguising their weekly shopping trips to JB when they're really sending them to special SG-syllabus tuition classes there! (don't underestimate the kiasu-ness of some parents and the resourcefulness of JB-ians)

    http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...n-wan-20130505

    First they say no need degree, now they say no need tuition. If you listen to all these bullshit your future will be really bleak. Next will be no need Singaporeans.

  4. #24
    Moderator keithwee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LittleRedDot
    Posts
    7,890

    Default

    (1) it's true that one doesn't need a degree to get far in life; but understand that a good degree opens the first door.

    Just look at the government scholars and the pace they climb the career path. To be a scholar , you need good academic grades so --> tuition is always a viable alternative.

    (2) parents will always want the best for their child , hence this is pushing the tuition boom. I'm a teacher ; and I can attest to the fact that many in my line have left the school to teach private tuition.

    Why? Teach tuition you just focus on teaching , teach in a sch u kena left right up centre all sorts of admin stuff for starters.

    I will never ever recommend to a parent to send the kid for tuition as I feel it's an insult to me as a teacher if my student needs tuition; but how many teachers feel this way?

    Though the Edn Minister has declared : every sch is a good sch, given a choice to send your child to Raffles JC or a bottom ranked JC , what will be one's choice ?

    (3) this tuition trend will not get better, and will only worsen. Soon you will see the very first self made millionaires from private tuition.

    (4) this senior minister is obviously acting blur or a total idiot la. Her comments like : 'very few teachers leave because they don't like there work ' already speaks volume about what type of info she is being fed by her minions.

    In fact , I am curious if so, then what is the main reason teachers leave the profession?

  5. #25
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: is this truth or BS?

    Quote Originally Posted by d2xpeter View Post
    Then why is the tuition industry booming?? LOL
    "Wait my kid never get tuition then will lose out"

    But you don't see that happening for job training.

  6. #26
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post


    http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...n-wan-20130505

    First they say no need degree, now they say no need tuition. If you listen to all these bullshit your future will be really bleak. Next will be no need Singaporeans.
    No, if you actually think that having a degree and going for tuition is must, THEN you are looking at a very bleak future where all you are good at is book smarts and not much else.

  7. #27

    Default Re: is this truth or BS?

    its the truth ... we DON'T need tuition ... just en-RICH-ment classes ....
    Touch the Moments ... Hold the colours of Joy

  8. #28
    Member Bukitimah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    All these are due to ranking and the limitation in further education for aspiring students. If every average student can progress to the next level, it removes competition. However, the fear is there isn't enough job for all if everyone graduated.

    So, this perception that we must provide the cream with a well deserving pay has to be overcome. Education is just the baseline, how one performs on the job are more important. Putting scholar on the high chair makes them nervous and he need many supporters to ensure he don't fall. So end of the day, the system stay status quo.

  9. #29

    Default Re: is this truth or BS?

    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    No, if you actually think that having a degree and going for tuition is must, THEN you are looking at a very bleak future where all you are good at is book smarts and not much else.
    Do you have a degree?

  10. #30
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: is this truth or BS?

    Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    Do you have a degree?
    Alamak... getting degree is not that difficult nowadays.

    You walk in the street, take a stone and threw it, chances for the stone knocking into a degree holder... soooo large.

    I mean... I looked around, every Tom, Dick and Harry is a degree holder...
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  11. #31
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post

    Do you have a degree?
    Yes, I do. And your point being?

  12. #32
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,283

    Default Re: is this truth or BS?

    Quote Originally Posted by keithwee View Post

    I will never ever recommend to a parent to send the kid for tuition as I feel it's an insult to me as a teacher if my student needs tuition; but how many teachers feel this way?
    SO TRUE!!!!

    not to mention that it is an insult to our educational system too

    But unfortunately, as i hv mentioned, the tuition industry is BOOMING.

    So what is the conclusion? either our teachers are not teaching right or the education system is junk??

  13. #33
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post

    Alamak... getting degree is not that difficult nowadays.

    You walk in the street, take a stone and threw it, chances for the stone knocking into a degree holder... soooo large.

    I mean... I looked around, every Tom, Dick and Harry is a degree holder...
    Absolutely true. If anything a degree means absolutely nothing other than to prove one has followed a particular course of study and duly completed it. Whether one has the ability to apply what has been taught or even understand what has been taught rather than regurgitate what has been taught, that's another story.

    In short, a degree means buggerall. Finishing school, be it university, poly, ITE or any other form of formal education, is only the START of the learning process, not the end.

    But of course there are some who think a degree is a must, who think grades are everything.

  14. #34
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,283

    Default Re: is this truth or BS?

    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Absolutely true. If anything a degree means absolutely nothing other than to prove one has followed a particular course of study and duly completed it. Whether one has the ability to apply what has been taught or even understand what has been taught rather than regurgitate what has been taught, that's another story.

    In short, a degree means buggerall. Finishing school, be it university, poly, ITE or any other form of formal education, is only the START of the learning process, not the end.

    But of course there are some who think a degree is a must, who think grades are everything.
    and if you cannot even start, then there is no need to talk about the end. LOL

  15. #35
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2xpeter View Post

    and if you cannot even start, then there is no need to talk about the end. LOL
    Is the situation soooo dire that people cannot start?

    Granted not everyone follows a conventional path to getting a formal education BUT if you want it you will find a way to get it. The point I am making is, if you feel you absolutely need a degree to pursue what you wish to pursue, you WILL find a way to get that degree.

    Everyone in this country is given a fair shot at a BASIC education. Wanna take it further? Prove yourself and work hard at it. Don't expect things to be given to you.
    Last edited by G-man; 18th September 2013 at 11:47 AM.

  16. #36

    Default Re: is this truth or BS?

    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    No, if you actually think that having a degree and going for tuition is must, THEN you are looking at a very bleak future where all you are good at is book smarts and not much else.
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Yes, I do. And your point being?
    Why did you get a degree?

  17. #37
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,216

    Default Re: is this truth or BS?

    Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    Why did you get a degree?
    I got a degree because I WANTED to, not because I had to. I enjoyed my course of study and decided I wanted to learn more. I didn't get a degree because everyone else had one.

  18. #38

    Default Re: is this truth or BS?

    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    I got a degree because I WANTED to, not because I had to. I enjoyed my course of study and decided I wanted to learn more. I didn't get a degree because everyone else had one.
    I don't think I need to delve deeper into the reasons why people WANT to have a degree. Anyway it is strange for the a minister to say this especially when my very experienced and capable colleague, who is a diploma holder, is not approved by the govt to do the work that I am doing just because he is not a degree holder.

  19. #39
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: is this truth or BS?

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Its BS... only because I am hoping to go into Tuition industry
    Tuition is an great incentive to join the teaching profession.

    Many maths teachers earn more than their full-time income teaching maths part-time.

    Our maths teacher even boasted to us that he could teach us faster ways to sovle maths problems if we attend his tuition.

  20. #40
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: is this truth or BS?

    Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    Why did you get a degree?
    "A degree begets you respect, social mobility and access to beautiful and educated women." - Laozi.

    Last edited by Sion; 18th September 2013 at 12:37 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •