Thread: Shooting at night safari!!

Default Shooting at night safari!!

beginner here, trying out shots at night safari. any advise for me? will autofocus do for me? any special settings e.g. aperture/shutter settings to set?

what's your camera? some camera can't focus well under low-light conditions.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Default Re: Shooting at night safari!!

Originally posted by shuy
    beginner here, trying out shots at night safari. any advise for me? will autofocus do for me? any special settings e.g. aperture/shutter settings to set?
    Never tried b4 but I don't think it is going to be easy since flash is not allowed.

unless you're using a Sony DSC707 with the nightframing/nightshot function...

i'm using my friend's digicam... i can't remember the model but it's pretty high end canon. any tricks to take night shots w/o flash? increase shutter speed?

high end canon? could that be the G2? or even a D30/D60?

i don't think increasing the shutter speed would help... in fact you will probably need to decrease the shutter speed to allow more light to come into the lens. you might need a tripod to minimize handshake, but then the animals are moving so that might not be too helpful.

i guess you could increase the ISO to the highest possible/usable value. for d60/d30, that should be quite high (800, 1000 or even 1600 for the d30). i don't know what the highest usable ISO on a G2 or G1.

aperture would probably need to be wide open... the dof would be really shallow, but at least there's more light.

anyone can confirm if these are indeed the things that need to be done?

ok wat if i use a canon s40 for shootong at safari. still can?

wah whack shutter speed to 8s.... by that time all the animals gone aredi.... hehe.

i'll def. need a tripod for it or it'll appear all fuzzy man. actually i haven't been there in a looong time, hopefully it'll be fun