Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Photos PP with Manual Blending, HDR, Panorama Stitch

Thanks goderictia for the advise and comments, appreciated very much.

Yes, the sky was Bright as white wash when I shot it so it was shot underexposed, I tried to get some details, there was slight rays captured.
    Ya, the sky was too underexposed relative to foreground. I did push up brightness, the rays dissapeared. The rays was not cooperating since it was not really sunset moment yet. I would see if I have a shot nearer the sunset time which could be brighter sky and keeps the rays.

There was no nice color sunset even nearer the sunset time, at least from where I was , with North Vale condo blocking.

Probably will go back there when there is orangey sunset, cotton clouds n better foreground. There was a boy on small bicycle with his sister pushing , on the foreground grass, but I did not try to ask them to pose, not wanting to spoil their funtime.

Yes, the dynamic range on the Kr is not that great , sounds like a good reason to K3! Haha! A few of +VE exposed shots had too many highlights. Even though I had ND 9 stops on, should have brought my GND.

Thanks for comments n advise, it's hard to learn the specific shooting and PP techniques for blending since we all could not meet often to talk about this subject. The only way I thought was via this thread in CS. Perhaps other way is to follow some of the experts as " apprentice" on the go.

Looks like I would go back again to this park to nail the sky n better sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by goderictia View Post
    The last photo of North Vale Condo -there is the halo/glow around the condo making the blend untidy -in consideration of such a nice sunset/glow, shouldn't the sky be nicer being bright rather than dark? I do understand that usually for sky blending we usually take the -ev photo so that we can get nice colors. But for your case (just a suggestion and not necessarily the best one) the top part of your sky lacks color so increasing the brightness will do justice to your photo. In your case, looking at such a bright sunset, I expect the camera (matrix metering) to measure the scene and show an underexposed photo. Therefore, you will need to overexpose your shot for the foreground -> trees and condo. What I am trying to say here is that...I will most probably use the 0ev and the +1ev for blending. 0ev as base shot 1ev for foreground *the above is a guess-timate as I am not sure what your settings are... I am just trying to tell you the thought process that we put into when we bracket our shots for blending. One more rather chim thing to note from blending: Try to overexpose your shot for blending. I am speaking from personal experience that when you try to recover details from an underexposed shot, you start to see noise/artifacts. Whereas, when you recover details from an overexposed shot, lesser noise/no noise is shown but the downside to a overexposed shot is that...highlights could be clipped and that is where blending comes in. It does sounds weird to overexpose your shot because in-camera, you see no color, nothing fantastic...but trust me that when you are in raw processing it...everything will come back nicely. The positive to your photo: -the foreground is well exposed Just my 1/2 cents worth of opinion and it may not be the best way to do things. I believe the rest of the Pentaxians are much better than me at this so their advice will be worth more. P.S: Try not to tilt your camera...just a strange habit of mine to keep buildings straight and nice.
    GR,K2,K3, DA15Ltd, 10-24 f 3.5-4.5, K135 f2.8, K55 f1.8, Q, Q2K, Q10, 01020306,FA31,FA100WR

Default Re: First Photos PP with Manual Blending, HDR, Panorama Stitch

Looks better, can see the improvement. Just some niggling issues when it comes to transitions as Goderic mentioned. Like I mentioned during the session, for transition experiment with brush opacity, 50%, 30+% should help overcome the haloing issue.

I would also consider making the grass patches less bright.

I think I see lots of improvement and also glad that you managed to make use of the support here to help get there.

The experts have mentioned the bits to touch up on.
    I don't think I have anything to add to that.

Just shoot and practice more. (and post more too)

Sky made brighter now, some smudges on the left appeared after loading the jpeg onto Picasa Web album.
    Don't know why, the original jpeg on iPhoto looks OK.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipKr35 View Post

Last edited by PhilipKr35; 7th October 2013 at 11:05 PM.
    GR,K2,K3, DA15Ltd, 10-24 f 3.5-4.5, K135 f2.8, K55 f1.8, Q, Q2K, Q10, 01020306,FA31,FA100WR

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipKr35 View Post
    Sky made brighter now
    Is it morning or evening time?? Do some minor edit and follow as close as what u shots that day....am not an expert but just my feels my 2cts worth. Sorry if am wrong. Cheers :-)

Thanks Jaiyen for comments,no apology required, any advise welcomed.
    From the football and restaurant light you could guess it is evening time,
    the shot is as actual as I could recall but different sections of the photo is from slightly different timimg.

To be precise,
    6:13pm for the sky ( as later the sun starburst could not be seen- blocked by condo),
    6:32pm for the grass and football ( as earlier, they did not start football yet and a few shots they were running too much so motion trails),
    6:56pm for the restaurant light up ( as earlier the restaurant were not as crowded and the lights could not be seen).

So, taking different actual scenes with impact to combine it into One "actual scene".- I could accept that it is real since they are layered into one.
    I too don't like too much HDRs like, so like you said , I also prefer to be as actual as possible.

Here is another version which I recall is more accurate, the grass area was slightly darker as the sun was blocked by the condo.

Quote Originally Posted by jaiyen View Post
    Is it morning or evening time?? Do some minor edit and follow as close as what u shots that day....am not an expert but just my feels my 2cts worth. Sorry if am wrong. Cheers :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12