Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Canon 50D noise problem

  1. #1

    Unhappy Canon 50D noise problem

    Hi bros,

    I was quite disappointed with the quality of the photos taken by my 50D. The noise is very prominent in all the photos and makes the photos look 'hazy' Just wondering how to take crystal clear picture and if any bro has the same problem? Do I need to bring my camera in to check?

    For instance, this was shot at ISO 400 original shot exported from Lightroom with no editing

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7313258@N04/9731501908/sizes/o/

    (please click to see the full size image)

    The RAW can be downloaded at

    http://www.mediafire.com/?5jknlf1csr91r7r


    Thank you all!

  2. #2

    Default

    Could be your lightroom settings. What are the sooc jpegs like in comparison?
    Alpha

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Singapore when back at home
    Posts
    814

    Default Re: Canon 50D noise problem

    Hi there.

    I just downloaded the CR2 raw file and opened it in LR4.4, without zooming in the picture looks passable at screen size. It looks pixelated when I zoomed at the monks on the middle right side of the foreground. I think it may reached the resolution limit for the 50D sensor if you zoom in to look real close. The people are really small in your picture and so is the detail of the wall of the building.

    Also I checked the flickr JPEG at 1024 and 2408 screen size it looks passable.

    I don't see any luminance grains or chroma blotches usually associated with high ISO shots.

    The picture isn't sharp, lacks contrast and fuzzy / hazy that's for sure.

    It may be related to the lens or the light conditions at the place when you took the picture.

    On another hand did you try to use the same camera with a different lens to shoot something else under different light conditions? Were the results the same?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Canon 50D noise problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Could be your lightroom settings. What are the sooc jpegs like in comparison?
    I shot only in RAW so no SOCC JPEGs But I believe they are not much different from Lightroom exports?

    Quote Originally Posted by Light Machinery View Post
    Hi there.

    I just downloaded the CR2 raw file and opened it in LR4.4, without zooming in the picture looks passable at screen size. It looks pixelated when I zoomed at the monks on the middle right side of the foreground. I think it may reached the resolution limit for the 50D sensor if you zoom in to look real close. The people are really small in your picture and so is the detail of the wall of the building.

    Also I checked the flickr JPEG at 1024 and 2408 screen size it looks passable.

    I don't see any luminance grains or chroma blotches usually associated with high ISO shots.

    The picture isn't sharp, lacks contrast and fuzzy / hazy that's for sure.

    It may be related to the lens or the light conditions at the place when you took the picture.

    On another hand did you try to use the same camera with a different lens to shoot something else under different light conditions? Were the results the same?
    When zooming in at full size, the photo looks really grainy though. I am not sure if this is normal for a 50D?

    Other examples from the same camera and lens Unfortunately I did not bring another lens.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7313258...59324/sizes/o/ RAW: http://www.mediafire.com/?kyr8hy0d0i61jfv
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7313258...32451/sizes/o/ RAW: http://www.mediafire.com/?bitmy9iqe8z0ndd

    This is one example of clean photo from another Flickr member: http://www.flickr.com/photos/intoth3rainbow/6109513740/. Even zoom in at full size, the grain is not obvious at all. I don't know if there is a way to achieve this level of sharpness/less grainy with a Canon 50D?
    Last edited by exleonhart; 12th September 2013 at 10:50 PM.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Singapore when back at home
    Posts
    814

    Default Re: Canon 50D noise problem

    Okay, I have looked at your other two pictures, they look very presentable at normal sizes. I don't see an issue with it.

    All pictures will have some digital artefacts, some camera will have more than others when you zoom in. Probably what you can do is to compare some pictures with some buddies that shoot the same lens and body as yours. Or do search on FLickr for pictures taken with the 50D, download and peek in.

    The clean photo from another flickr member was shot with a D700, you cant compare like that.

  6. #6
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Canon 50D noise problem

    Looks fine actually. After processing, the noise is almost unnoticeable.

  7. #7
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,420

    Default Re: Canon 50D noise problem

    Quote Originally Posted by exleonhart View Post
    I was quite disappointed with the quality of the photos taken by my 50D. The noise is very prominent in all the photos and makes the photos look 'hazy' Just wondering how to take crystal clear picture and if any bro has the same problem? Do I need to bring my camera in to check?
    Taking pictures is recording of light - and the light conditions in your pictures are really not the best to begin with. If there is not enough light then noise is the usual result.
    After downsizing such images to normal screen sizes (max. 2048) usually the noise will disappear. I will try later tonight with your RAW files.
    EOS

  8. #8
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Canon 50D noise problem

    processed one... looks fine.



    full size: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3770/9...dddfbe39_o.jpg

  9. #9
    Senior Member SilverPine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,539

    Default Re: Canon 50D noise problem

    Quote Originally Posted by exleonhart View Post
    Hi bros,

    I was quite disappointed with the quality of the photos taken by my 50D. The noise is very prominent in all the photos and makes the photos look 'hazy' Just wondering how to take crystal clear picture and if any bro has the same problem? Do I need to bring my camera in to check?

    For instance, this was shot at ISO 400 original shot exported from Lightroom with no editing

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7313258@N04/9731501908/sizes/o/


    Thank you all!

    By looking at your picture above, I had taken the photo at the same location and same weather condition but with ISO100.

    1. "Haze look" was due to the lighting condition, no direct sunlight. Your sky image is very normal in that weather condition.
    2. Picture appear to be soft due to ISO400. For landscape try to use ISO100 if possible.
    3. Picture appear to be soft may due to f/stop, shutter speed used and quality of the lens used.
    4. Picture Style, Sharpness setting. I found out that if I increase the Sharpness to higher level will result higher noise, the result is just like your picture Lady with Dog.
    Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

  10. #10
    Member waladjam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North of Singapore
    Posts
    172

    Default Re: Canon 50D noise problem

    Hi exleonhart,

    i think nothing wrong with the camera. I have the same camera. I still keep it even after I upgraded to FF body. I still like it very much. Noise shouldn't be any problem, you can remove it with software. I have processed your photo a little bit but I'm not able to upload to this forum to show you as yahoo flickr is currently under maintenance. I can send via email. what s your email address?

    Cheers.
    waladjam
    Last edited by waladjam; 13th September 2013 at 11:19 PM.
    Canon User

  11. #11
    Member waladjam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North of Singapore
    Posts
    172

    Default Re: Canon 50D noise problem

    Hi Exleonhart,

    Ok.. flickr under maintenance is done. Below is your image I have processed as mentioned:


    After


    Before


    cheers.
    Last edited by waladjam; 14th September 2013 at 10:02 AM.
    Canon User

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •