Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 56

Thread: steady shots during low lighting

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Land of the woods........
    Posts
    1,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icarus
    Remember the hold rifle techniques we learnt back in NS?
    Tuck in elbow, hold breath..etc Maybe can do proning too!
    Memory card of 1G load and ready !!!

    Ladies & Gentlemen, own time own target carry on..........

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NMSS_2
    i am using a DSLR. someone did mentioned to me a few weeks back that he abstrain from coffee or tea due to shaky hands. i cant help it, i am a coffee lover.

    beside using a monopod, tuck-in bag to belly technique.... any others? using battery grip for added weight?
    Sure a not? I teh-O lover leh. I don't think beer will got cause shaky hands right?

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icarus
    Remember the hold rifle techniques we learnt back in NS?
    Tuck in elbow, hold breath..etc Maybe can do proning too!
    Yes Sir. Sounds like my PC.

  4. #24
    Deregistered satan_18349's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    hell 極樂世&
    Posts
    1,498

    Default

    Apart from all the answers given, you can use a hand strap for better grip too...

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    2,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NMSS_2
    blur shots can be recovered?
    blur shots cant be saved, but i tink tat guy meant to deliberately underexpose, underexpose still can be saved...

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    AMK
    Posts
    5,711

    Default

    Actually to prevent blur...have to depend on what focal length of the lens u are using x scale factor from the DSLR...example 200mm require 200 x 1.6(20D)=320...mean that at least must use 1/320 sec if not u can't get sharp image most of the time...unless using a tripod or printing @ 4R only.

    Even using flash can't help much if u see it at 100%...for my case I will switch to ISO800~ISO1250 where noise still very low...if needed I will go for ISO1600 just to reach the minimium require speed

    but of course the target play a part also, even when u are using wide angle like 20mm and suppose u using faster than 1/30 sec...u will get blur image if the object is moving/walking or running...

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Eastern Part
    Posts
    306

    Default

    There are several techniques I use for such situations.
    1. Set the camera to maximum resolution and then use wider lens thus increasing shutter speed, then crop on computer. (better to have grainier pic then blurr one. If need faster speed, increase ISO)
    2. One trick I like to use, also, is to press the camera snugly against my face with the camera strap (neck more steady than hands ), then lean on any available support like wall or lamp post (if possible, I hold the camera steady on the support), or even sit with knees propped supporting my elbows.
    3. If I remember to bring along, I will use my trusty beanbag which I bought in London. this one can place your camera on any uneven shaped support, like rock, then using hand pump to remove air until the bag is rock hard.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Northen part of Sing a pore
    Posts
    2,153

    Default

    i still cant find the answers i want in there cos mostly are in-the-camera settings. but the solution you posted about using burst shots for low shutter speed is worth a try.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Northen part of Sing a pore
    Posts
    2,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDZ2
    There are several techniques I use for such situations.
    1. Set the camera to maximum resolution and then use wider lens thus increasing shutter speed, then crop on computer. (better to have grainier pic then blurr one. If need faster speed, increase ISO)
    2. One trick I like to use, also, is to press the camera snugly against my face with the camera strap (neck more steady than hands ), then lean on any available support like wall or lamp post (if possible, I hold the camera steady on the support), or even sit with knees propped supporting my elbows.
    3. If I remember to bring along, I will use my trusty beanbag which I bought in London. this one can place your camera on any uneven shaped support, like rock, then using hand pump to remove air until the bag is rock hard.
    1) looks like the better option in selecting a wider aperture than selecting the sweet spot for F stop for sharpness.
    2) i have tried pressing it flatly against my face, hands and face didnt moved but my body sort of drift.
    3) what will be things that is lightweight and feels like a bean bag?

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Northen part of Sing a pore
    Posts
    2,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icarus
    Remember the hold rifle techniques we learnt back in NS?
    Tuck in elbow, hold breath..etc Maybe can do proning too!
    donkey years liao. long time never go range for exercise firing also. anyway i bobo king. i can only do prone position for good shots .

  11. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eagles_creek
    Memory card of 1G load and ready !!!

    Ladies & Gentlemen, own time own target carry on..........

    i love your statement....reminds me of those "days"

    at least we do not need to oil and clean carbon at the end of the day....

  12. #32

    Default

    Eat enough before the photoshoot. Helps you have the energy to stabilise yourself. This is especially important for shoots that involve long focal lengths!

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Northen part of Sing a pore
    Posts
    2,153

    Default

    if i can eat enough to develop a big bulge "you know here", i would not have that shaky pics problem liao. anyway too poor to buy more food, any excess goes "buy buy buy".

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Northen part of Sing a pore
    Posts
    2,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Venom81
    Sure a not? I teh-O lover leh. I don't think beer will got cause shaky hands right?
    drink beer will not have shaky hands. you cant feel it or see it shaking cos your whole body will be shaking!

  15. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NMSS_2
    drink beer will not have shaky hands. you cant feel it or see it shaking cos your whole body will be shaking!
    My body don't shake after beer. I steady leh.

  16. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Eastern Part
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NMSS_2
    1) looks like the better option in selecting a wider aperture than selecting the sweet spot for F stop for sharpness.
    2) i have tried pressing it flatly against my face, hands and face didnt moved but my body sort of drift.
    3) what will be things that is lightweight and feels like a bean bag?
    2.That's why you have to lean on something steady ( if possible)
    3. the bag is filled with broken expended polystyrene, and there is a one way valve that allows air to be removed from the bag to create a vacuum.

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Northen part of Sing a pore
    Posts
    2,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDZ2
    3. the bag is filled with broken expended polystyrene, and there is a one way valve that allows air to be removed from the bag to create a vacuum.
    any links on this product? sounds very cool.

  18. #38
    Senior Member scud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,808

    Default

    beanbag is a small bag (can use ziploack bags) filled with small polystyrene beans (can buy from artfriends bras basah).

    just imagine that ur cam is sitting on this beanbag instead of the mags.
    hope this helps.

  19. #39

    Default

    If the object u are shooting is not moving around, well, the tripod will sure get u the perfect shot in terms of stability.

    If it is constant moving object and dim light setting, a steady hand and a lot of practice is needed. Here's my typical setting:

    aperture priority mode
    shoot in raw
    f/2.8 at least (lower f stop if ur lens allow)
    ISO 640-800
    underexpose by 1 stop or slightly more
    your shutter speed should be somewhere around 1/50 or 1/60 (1/30 if u have enought practice, a relative steady hand)
    set ur shooting mode to multiple shots - this will increase ur chance of getting at least 1 good shot

    some examples of low-light shots with constant moving people can be seen at events gallery at http://www.daniel-maye.com/index.htm

    Have fun....

    Daniel

    Quote Originally Posted by NMSS_2
    Hi Boys & Gals,

    How do you achieve steady shots everytime you shoot in low lighting? that is without flash conditions and tripod.

    example : the camera will forced you to shoot at 1/60 - 1/2 seconds whilst the rest of the conditions remain constant.

    Lets hear some ideas.

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Northen part of Sing a pore
    Posts
    2,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scud
    beanbag is a small bag (can use ziploack bags) filled with small polystyrene beans (can buy from artfriends bras basah).

    Thanks. will see see look look.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •