Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Olympus OM-D E-M1 - Hands on Preview. SG F1 PHOTOS INCLUDED

Default Re: Olympus OM-D E-M1 - Hands on Preview. SG F1 PHOTOS INCLUDED

Keystone Compensation

This feature is akin to using a shift function in a tilt shift lens (or sometimes known perspective control). Typically, if the camera is levelled parallel to ground, you wouldn't have "keystone distortion", meaning the verticals remain straight. If you tilt upwards, building will seem to converge, tilt downwards, buildings will diverge.

Here's a shot at 12mm on the 12-40mm /2.8 lens. As can see on far left, camera is placed levelled parallel to ground with help of level guides in camera, at the position I stand, I can't have the top of the tower if I want to have the building verticals remain straight. So the only way to have the top of tower is to tilt the camera upwards to capture that, however the verticals now is slanted and converging, on the far right is the Raw shot, which retains the original file. The middle shot is after keystone compensation was used to correct it. So as can see, with this feature it's possible to have both verticals straight up, and capture the top of tower. Hence you can achieve this right off camera (though jpeg only), without the need of TS lens/post process.

Hope the explanation is clear enough.

One of the things that plagued quite a few photographers on EM1 had been the hot pixels issues that was discussed quite a bit online. When we first had the EM1 last year, this wasn't tested much. I had a chance to do a quick test this time. Here's a shot at F7.1, ISO100, used 10+3 ND filter to achieve the long exposure. Can't really see much hot pixels. But still will need to turn on the "Long exposure noise reduction" function, else it's still hot pixels galore!

OOC jpeg.

And another, at 76sec. F9.0 and 10 stop ND filter
    Last edited by wonglp; 4th October 2014 at 01:10 AM.

Live composite.
    A feature that was tested quite a lot in Olympus EM10 which I started a thread here explaining more in details how to use it. There's no change to EM10 feature. Had tough time last 2 weeks to find time to shoot live composite, happened one of the nights had quite a bit of thunders and lightnings. So a good chance to shoot from home using this feature.

Was using panasonic 7-14, @ 9 mm. ISO200, 5 sec for a total of about 5 min. Slight tweak with Lightroom on the Raw output

Was using panasonic 7-14, @ 8 mm. ISO200, 6 sec for a total of about 20 min. Slight tweak with Lightroom, quite a few lightnings were captured in this shot

Last feature is more of the partial colour which I like using it a lot. There's also vintage which I didn't use much of. The partial colour is interesting as you can change the colours to what you want on the fly!

Capturing the reds

Capturing the green + yellow

I will pass this review to spider89 to continue the review on the tethering with Olympus Capture

This video above shows the capability of the Olympus E-M1 firmware V2.0. The order of the effect is as followed:
    Gentle Sepia with old film simulation
    Gentle sepia
    Light tone
    Soft focus
    Partial color (red spectrum)
    Vintage tone
    Vintage tone with old film effect

Some art filters with the old film simulation shows lag and the transitions are laggy, fun to do, but at the moment, not feasible, but it is fun to do it
    A wise man said, "Any available light is good light"

Using the Olympus Capture software to shoot tether has been really fun and useful. The only downside is that the cable connector is not the standard micro or mini USB and the included cable is extremely short which would mean the need to use a USB repeater. But if you're using it to shoot products next to the computer, it's fine, but I use tethering to shoot people.

Almost everything can be controlled via the computer, even wireless flashes can be controlled, only things that cannot be controlled is the mode, as far as I know. Otherwise, pretty much everything, shutter speed, ISO, aperture, even art filters! Control and viewing at the camera's end is still possible.

Speaking of viewing, on the computer, you get live view as well, so you can see what's going on live, so if you're shooting someone, you don't even need to take your eyes off the computer!

Saving can be saved to computer or camera only or both.

One other thing that was quite a turnoff to me is the slow rate of transfer. Transferring a jpg and RAW file or RAW is still slower compared to my Nikon system. But considering this is the 2nd release of a tethering solution (the first being the Olympus E-1 and Olympus Studio if I'm not wrong) so it's not half bad. If time is not an issue, it's a great add on to the E-M1's system. Honestly, I'm personally hoping that Adobe Lightroom can do the same one day
    A wise man said, "Any available light is good light"

Quote Originally Posted by wonglp View Post
    Awesome shots, DM! Keep it coming !!

The no. of AF boxes had been increased to 81, and since EPL5 (EPL6 & EP5) , there's a smaller AF box mode which makes AF much easier especially for tricky situations. Em5 doesn't have these features. Mostly I set a spot AF and manually change it but sometimes if I want to be faster, touchscreen AF Hope that answers your question. As for C-AF / tracking, if subject is running towards you, it's still challenging for EM1, though to note that it's pre-production firmware.

Here's how the 81 AF boxes look like:

& here's how the small AF boxes looks like. On EM1, all the 4-way directional buttons is preset to change the AF spot on the fly.

Hi Wonglp,

I have been wondering the difference between these two setting. I know the one on top, but the second screen at the bottom what is the difference?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by pchengws View Post

Hi Wonglp,

I have been wondering the difference between these two setting. I know the one on top, but the second screen at the bottom what is the difference?

Thank you.
    Hi, the difference is the bottom one has an even smaller square which I use a lot (all the time actually) to focus on small details e.g eyes for portraits and especially cats using larger box may sometime focus not on eyeball.

Quote Originally Posted by wonglp View Post
    Hi, the difference is the bottom one has an even smaller square which I use a lot (all the time actually) to focus on small details e.g eyes for portraits and especially cats using larger box may sometime focus not on eyeball.
    Thank you for clarifying. I will try it out.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234