Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Olympus OM-D E-M1 - Hands on Preview. SG F1 PHOTOS INCLUDED

Default Re: Olympus OM-D E-M1 - Hands on Preview

mFT and FT bodies don't match well with the Zuiko manual lenses for optimal performance and I wonder any improvement in this aspect for the OM-D EM-1?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spidey89 View Post
    To be fair, D3 is an old model, but as can be seen, technology has improved since then and if the D3 photos are good and to one's liking, I'm sure the E-M1 probably can compare
    Time to sell my DSLRs :P

Quote Originally Posted by Teo View Post
    mFT and FT bodies don't match well with the Zuiko manual lenses for optimal performance and I wonder any improvement in this aspect for the OM-D EM-1?
    That's a good question, I do not have any Zuiko manual lenses anymore, Wonglp, how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Time to sell my DSLRs :P
    Sell to me cheap cheap? XD
    A wise man said, "Any available light is good light"

Blog Entries

Sell to me cheap cheap? XD

hahahahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Teo View Post
    mFT bodies is actually better than FT as there's magnifying and OVF of FT is rather small. From EP5 onwards there's focus peaking which helps, and with EM1, it seems the focus peaking is still a little laggy in the refresh rate, however, the "peaking" on EM1 does shows more details than on EP5 (just did a test with manual Zuiko 50mm/1.4), this will apply to all manual lenses not just Zuiko. Plus the EVF on EM1 magnification is as big as Nikon D800 fullframe, and there's many customizable buttons on EM1 to set as peaking, so would think it's alot better now than say FT or EP1 (which doesn't have option for even an EVF) . hope that answers your qn?
    Last edited by wonglp; 24th September 2013 at 11:25 PM.

Took EM1+12-40 for a spin in the rain last week. Reflection shots are fun during rain. The combination is supposed to be splash/dust proof and withstand -10oC freezing temperatures (i might just be able to test this!).

F5, 13mm, 1/80s. ISO800

F6.3, 12mm, 1/60s. ISO2000

The hood did well to block raindrops on the lens.
    Last edited by wonglp; 24th September 2013 at 11:37 PM.

I am keen to see the review on video capability, especially pertaining to CAF/AF-tracking.

I pre-ordered the EM5 when it first launched and over the years acquired some Oly and Pana prime & zoom m4/3 lens which gave me many beautiful pictures. What I found lacking and frustrating at times was the AF hunting during video recording on CAF and AF-tracking mode, even when using fast lens like the 25mm F1.4 or 12-35/35-100mm F2.8. I have to resort to manual focusing whenever I video my children's concert or squash game. And it is always a hit-or-miss.

When I read that the new EM1 had on-sensor PDAF, I thought it would address the hunting issue. Unfortunately, it also mentioned that PDAF would not work in video mode. Thus, I am looking forward to the video review here.

Meanwhile, I have bought the Canon 70D. And will soon see for myself how well it serve my photography and video need.

Some shots taken with 12-40mm/f2.8 over past few weeks. The details from this lens is really good, even at high ISOs. OOC jpegs.

F4.5, 26mm, 1/8s, ISO200. Shot was focused on the taupok.

100% crop of the taupok

新新荣和潮剧, Glarence. F2.8, 31mm, 1/60s, ISO3200

新新荣和潮剧. F2.8, 40mm, 1/80s, ISO2000

新新荣和潮剧. F2.8, 40mm, 1/80s, ISO1000

Quote Originally Posted by cybertoxic View Post
    I am keen to see the review on video capability, especially pertaining to CAF/AF-tracking.

I pre-ordered the EM5 when it first launched and over the years acquired some Oly and Pana prime & zoom m4/3 lens which gave me many beautiful pictures. What I found lacking and frustrating at times was the AF hunting during video recording on CAF and AF-tracking mode, even when using fast lens like the 25mm F1.4 or 12-35/35-100mm F2.8. I have to resort to manual focusing whenever I video my children's concert or squash game. And it is always a hit-or-miss.

When I read that the new EM1 had on-sensor PDAF, I thought it would address the hunting issue. Unfortunately, it also mentioned that PDAF would not work in video mode. Thus, I am looking forward to the video review here.

Meanwhile, I have bought the Canon 70D. And will soon see for myself how well it serve my photography and video need.
    Probably in a week or 2, I'm currently planning what to video and what "tests" would I need to do. I have not tried PDAF only lenses in video mode, but I'll dig out my 14-54 mk I for that. But personally, majority of the things I've shot in the past doesn't require AF, only a wedding I did 2 months back required AF from the E-P5, but it hunts too, so I resort to manual focusing, but couldn't get the dang focusing peaking to work (cause I had no manual nor the time to find one or figure out). But with the focus peaking so conveniently located near the shutter button, it helped me focus manually my videos extremely quickly once I got the hang of it. Honestly speaking, E-M1 is the first camera I shot video with using focus peaking despite knowing the existence of it, that's why it took a while before I got used to focus peaking hahahha

Anyway, since it's raining, I did a closeup test, just for kicks to see how close it can focus.

This was taken slightly under 10cm from the front of the lens (not the lens hood) at f11, ISO 1250 with flash (camera automatically set ISO). Cleaned up in PP without sharpening. I find it amazing! I did another one where it was probably slightly under 5cm from front of the lens to the coin (I've removed the lens hood), also at f11, it still focused and was sharp, but the dof is too thin to capture the coin from front to back, it'll make a decent close up lens for static subjects, but I won't use this towards flying insects as it'll likely spook them (from my experience, I'm not a macro shooter, so I could be wrong)
    Last edited by spidey89; 25th September 2013 at 12:00 PM.

I manage to take em1 for a spin with ZD 50-200 at turn 2 and I have to say the IQ is really good.

the rest here

Default Re: Olympus OM-D E-M1 - Hands on Preview. SG F1 PHOTOS INCLUDED

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    I did not have the EM-5 to compare with. Some comments were mentioned in my first post. On the whole, the EM-1 does an admirable job of locking focus in very demanding conditions, and where just about any camera's AF systems fail, you could AF and fine tune with MF along the way.

Having said that, on the whole, the EM-1's locking was very, very snappy, even with some slow lenses.
    Hi Chris,

Saw the wonderful photos you took at the F1. May I ask how is the new body in the focus tracking for the F1 races compared to a dslr (eg: 7D)? Also wondering if it can "blur" out the fences since it have a smaller sensor. Thank you.

Anson

As far as I can tell, the E-M1 stands up well against the FF camera, though the D3 is old, and the E-M1 is extremely new). Personally, without pixel peeping and without telling you which pictures came from which cameras, pictures from both cameras are hard, if not impossible to tell apart. And as shown by sample photos from Dream Merchant, it has come a long way from the days of E-1 where the "acceptable" iso range is up to 400 or 800 for some. Even using the D3, I rarely go up to 6400 and beyond.

Pixel peeping, somehow in some areas, the D3 is sharper than the E-M1 and in other areas, the E-M1 is sharper, but it's likely my fault for not focusing on a single focus point, and the fact the D3 with 50mm lens can't focus as closely as the 12-40. But without pixel peeing, I can't see the difference in the 2. Without making a huge print, I doubt I can hardly tell the differences myself.

The E-M1, coupled with the 12-40 and 40-150 are a relatively light and capable camera system which I'm confident can stand its own ground.
    Is that jpeg or not? From what I read here and there, RAW is much noisier than Jpeg and it looks like you are using the jpegs rather than raw.
    Last edited by NazgulKing; 26th September 2013 at 11:56 AM.

To add on to what WongLP said about lack of DOF scale, personally, the only lenses I've seen with useful DOF scale are those found on manual film lenses. Have not seen a decent DOF scale with a "digital" lens. But there's always paper charts and apps to solve the tiny problem!

Anyway, here I am to update a little, in the high ISO department. For these test, I shot on a grey scale chart with ISO 200 as the base, then at ISO 1600, 3200, 6400, 12,800 and 25,600. NR off, OOC jpegs, custom white balance in constant day light. I used a light meter to take a reading. Cameras used are of course the E-M1 and my aging D3 which everyone knows, is the king of low light back in its day, but has since been taken over by D3s and D4, both of which I do not have, but still, "traditionally" crop sensors do not perform as well as FF sensors, and 4/3 sensors, being smaller than APS-C sensors, are quite poor in the past, but I'm pleasantly surprised by the the results of my little test.

Forgive me if there are a little color variances, but more or less the test of their high ISO capabilities are there.

As far as I can tell, the E-M1 stands up well against the FF camera, though the D3 is old, and the E-M1 is extremely new). Personally, without pixel peeping and without telling you which pictures came from which cameras, pictures from both cameras are hard, if not impossible to tell apart. And as shown by sample photos from Dream Merchant, it has come a long way from the days of E-1 where the "acceptable" iso range is up to 400 or 800 for some. Even using the D3, I rarely go up to 6400 and beyond.

Pixel peeping, somehow in some areas, the D3 is sharper than the E-M1 and in other areas, the E-M1 is sharper, but it's likely my fault for not focusing on a single focus point, and the fact the D3 with 50mm lens can't focus as closely as the 12-40. But without pixel peeing, I can't see the difference in the 2. Without making a huge print, I doubt I can hardly tell the differences myself.

The E-M1, coupled with the 12-40 and 40-150 are a relatively light and capable camera system which I'm confident can stand its own ground.
    the images from the D3 look soft. is it a little OOF?

also were the same charts used? there seems to be a little difference in details looking at the 3rd & 4th black boxes in both charts shot.

Any review on action shots like bird in flight and sport photography?
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Hi Chris,

Saw the wonderful photos you took at the F1. May I ask how is the new body in the focus tracking for the F1 races compared to a dslr (eg: 7D)? Also wondering if it can "blur" out the fences since it have a smaller sensor. Thank you.

Anson
    Not sure if Chris did F1 shots. I can't really C-AF/C-AF tracking with EM1+50-200SWD four third lens with adapter (got tricked by the fence often), so had to prefocusing with focus peaking. It's a pre-production FW though. So maybe production will be better? selamatlzh has some fantastic shots of F1, perhaps he did better with CAF/CAF+tracking.

Here's one with 75mm @ F2.0, prefocused with focus peaking, about 2m from fence, panned. slightly visible fence.

This was slightly further away from fence, abt 3m, slightly longer focal length at 108mm (effective 216mm) at F3.3. Can still see abit of the fence. Just to give an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    Any review on action shots like bird in flight and sport photography?
    Apart from F1, not really, camera had been returned and will only get back next week, shall test again then

NazgulKing, to answer your questions, yes they are JPEGs. RAW is much noiser than JPEGs because RAW is not processed, the reason why I used JPEGs is because at the time I shot them, there were no software to use to process the E-M1 files. Also, the point of it was to see how good it performed without any noise reduction, since one can process to look pretty much noise free regardless what camera was used, but with varying degrees of softness from the noise reduction process.

Kei1309, it might be a little as I had limited place to shoot, and my 50mm couldn't focus as close as the 12-40, hence I had to crop a little bit more and yes the same chart was used. Do remember that the 2 cameras are different, hence the way the files are processed OOC are different, which could explain the difference in details. D3 is 12mp, E-M1 is 16mp, the degree of crop differ for both cameras as well

Kei1309, it might be a little as I had limited place to shoot, and my 50mm couldn't focus as close as the 12-40, hence I had to crop a little bit more and yes the same chart was used. Do remember that the 2 cameras are different, hence the way the files are processed OOC are different, which could explain the difference in details. D3 is 12mp, E-M1 is 16mp, the degree of crop differ for both cameras as well
    Bloody impressive camera nonetheless

oh goodness.......
    to continue press hex key , to return to main menu press star

Quote Originally Posted by wonglp View Post
    Not sure if Chris did F1 shots. I can't really C-AF/C-AF tracking with EM1+50-200SWD four third lens with adapter (got tricked by the fence often), so had to prefocusing with focus peaking. It's a pre-production FW though. So maybe production will be better? selamatlzh has some fantastic shots of F1, perhaps he did better with CAF/CAF+tracking.
    I was told that the firmware is not ready for 50-200 yet so I MFed instead.
    Visit my Homepage

A year had passed swiftly after the EM1 was launched, and now with v2.0 firmware, it has certainly put this flagship on an even better standing than before. Gotten a set of the silver EM1 from Olympus and handled for about a week, took some shots with the new features (taken from the press release):

1. Tethered shooting (with new Olympus Capture app) - This will be tested separately and reviewed by Spidey89 (Matthew) as he uses Nikon tethering as well, so will draw some comparisons with it.

For studio photography purposes, the E-M1 can be remotely controlled from the Camera Control System of the new Olympus Capture app that works in conjunction with the Olympus Viewer (provided with the camera), Adobe Lightroom or Phaseone Capture One image management/raw conversion softwares. High quality Live View is available at an SXGA resolution within the Olympus Viewer. Camera settings can also be directly controlled from the app. Olympus Capture will be available as a web-only download app from end September 2014.

2. Digital Perspective Control (“Keystone Compensation”)
    Obviating the requirement for expensive shift lenses, this new feature enables the capture of perspective corrected images that are required in architecture, interior, studio still-life and artwork photography. The corrected image is viewed live through the viewfinder or rear LCD screen with keystoning easily controlled using the front and rear control dials. A significant advantage of in-camera correction of perspective is that extremely wide angle lenses (wider than typical shift lenses) can be used to capture otherwise difficult to photograph buildings or interiors due to camera distance/positioning constraints.

3. Live Composite
    This feature enables the automated compositing of a large number of images with lightpainting, star-trail, fireworks or time-lapsed photography applications. Unlike conventional Bulb or Time exposure modes (which are also available in the E-M1), Live Composite ensures that the eventual composited scene is not overexposed when a suitable per shot exposure is used. This enables light-painting in bright ambient lighting
    and pitch black backgrounds in night-time fireworks photographs; impossible with normal long exposure photography. Progress of the compositing sequence can be monitored in real time on the camera’s LCD screen.

4. Partial Colour and Vintage Art Filters
    The new Partial Colour art filter has three user settings with different degrees of colour exclusivity. The Colour Ring live interface is visible through either the digital viewfinder or the LCD screen and the mono-colour hue is easily controlled by the intuitive adjustment of the camera Control Dials. The Vintage Art Filter comes in three user selectable options. A new Art Effect (Shade) can be combined with both filters for enhanced creativity.

5. Improved viewfinder display lag of 16ms
    In the High-frame rate viewfinder setting the reduced display lag (16ms from 26ms) enables
    better and smoother live viewing through the digital viewfinder during high speed action
    photography.
    Last edited by wonglp; 4th October 2014 at 12:31 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast