Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Olympus OM-D E-M1 - Hands on Preview. SG F1 PHOTOS INCLUDED

Default Re: Olympus OM-D E-M1 - Hands on Preview

That's a superb introduction and lead-in wonglp!

I had my hands on the EM-1 and 12/40/2.8 for only a day, so pardon any lack of exploration of the customization. I did, however, customize my curve response at times and I believe can be a great plus for more technical photographers!

First impressions were that the grip worked very well. Even when I mounted the humongous 50/200 with an adapter, the camera didn't slip or anything during use.

Most other user interfaces should be familiar with Olympus m43 users, immediately striking a close resemblance to predecessors, with the exception of more customization controls.

Unfortunately, I did not have enough time to photograph the actual screen(s) functions and adjustments on the EM-1 due to lack of time.

Needless to say, since it's F1 week, I managed to take the EM-1, the latest Olympus Kit 12/40/2.8, a 40/150/4-5.6, 35/100/2.8 and the famed 50/200/2.8-3.5 ED SWD along for a day.

The Olympus EM-1 and the Singapore Grand Prix 2013

Diving straight into high-pressure situations with crazy stage lighting, the EM-1 performs at the F1 Village quite well under very fast changing stage lighting situations. It gets much more demanding on the AF system when it's super high contrast monotone lights plus lasers firing into the audience or at an angle with performers jumping around!

I used mostly 1 x medium AF area C-AF Tracking for these kind of performances, or say fast action shots.

F1 Village, EM-1 and VOX, Singapore's first ever pop-rock string quartet bridging contemporary and the classical.

Last edited by Dream Merchant; 21st September 2013 at 11:21 PM.

The F1 Village, EM-1 and Adrenalina

Just a few shots as AF performance replicates the shots you see with VOX.

The SINGTEL GRID Girls

WICKED AURA'S Persuasive Percussion

LOOK at the sheer amount of DETAIL the 12/40/2.8 captures! 24mm 3.2

Last edited by Dream Merchant; 22nd September 2013 at 12:05 AM.

A Sneak Preview - The Happenings at the F1 Pit

122/40/2.8

12/40/2.8

12/40/2.8
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 22nd September 2013 at 06:31 PM.

Guess which team this car belongs to?

Talk about being informed! Each team has an entire bank of servers, and an air-conditioned console like this one just to monitor real-time
    race conditions, for example, track temperature, humidity, elevation, wind direction, wetness/dryness, pressure and a whole lot more
    parameters plus (most likely) another dedicated section for telemetry of the race car's performance during an actual race!

12/40/2.8

12/40/2.8

One of the many extended booms for Pit Repair equipment

Last edited by Dream Merchant; 22nd September 2013 at 06:32 PM.

Some candids ... mostly of kids and other shots.

Default Re: Olympus OM-D E-M1 - Hands on Preview. SG F1 PHOTOS INCLUDED

Some more Adrelalina concert shots

Great shots! Any difficulty locking focus? How does it compare to omd? (real world basis)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardie369 View Post
    Great shots! Any difficulty locking focus? How does it compare to omd? (real world basis)
    I did not have the EM-5 to compare with. Some comments were mentioned in my first post. On the whole, the EM-1 does an admirable job of locking focus in very demanding conditions, and where just about any camera's AF systems fail, you could AF and fine tune with MF along the way.

Having said that, on the whole, the EM-1's locking was very, very snappy, even with some slow lenses.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post

I did not have the EM-5 to compare with. Some comments were mentioned in my first post. On the whole, the EM-1 does an admirable job of locking focus in very demanding conditions, and where just about any camera's AF systems fail, you could AF and fine tune with MF along the way.

Having said that, on the whole, the EM-1's locking was very, very snappy, even with some slow lenses.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for ur response.. can't wait to test it out when display sets some out in stores.. hope its a good replacement to my current omd

Moving around the Entertainment areas, there were many instances where a sudden photo op suddenly pops up.

12/40/2.8

Again, you're going to see some incredible detail taken with the latest kit lens from Olympus! For these kinds of shots, I'm usually at the widest end and around 3.2

Here's an example of a normal shot taken in very wide DR, and the EM-1's HDR setting. I used HDR 1 for the later shot.

Not the best pano at night ... handheld. That's how effective the EM-1's 5-Axis Stabilization is.

Thanks for ur response.. can't wait to test it out when display sets some out in stores.. hope its a good replacement to my current omd
    Look an the drummers' photos, the concert performers photos as a gauge of locking and tracking. Also, later, will post the shots in extremely demanding lighting conditions where ANY camera's AF system might start hunting or can never lock.

What's a race without some eye candy?

In here are the concert shots with very demanding lighting situations.

Faces half hidden in darkness. Lots of High Intensity Spots shining obliquely and also at the camera, Lasers firing towards audience/camera and very heavy red monochromatic light. That, plus the fact the standing right in front of the wall of speakers during the concert was ... well, a very heady experience! Lol!

Frankly speaking, musically, this beats any boy or girl band. Period. Three guys, REAL, honest music without prancing girls and gimmicks, and they manage to get the entire audience from 5 to 50 year olds dancing and asking for more!

Daby Toure

Daby
    grew up in Boutilimit, Nouakchott, and Casmance before going to live with an uncle in the village of Djeole, near Kaedi, on the banks of the Senegal river. His parents had divorced, and Daby's father couldn't be seen to be raising young children on his own. In Djeole, Daby soaked up the language, culture and music of his Soninke people, as well as those of the neighbouring Toucouleur and Wolof. He learned all about farming and cattle rearing. It was a secure village childhood. 'With hindsight, I think the times I spent in the village were the most important in my life, because that's where I was forged,' Daby remembers. In the black velvet warmth of the night, he would get together with friends to bang out rhythms on old tins, canisters and cardboard boxes and entertain the village. And when diversion was required at henna and wedding feasts, Daby and his mates would often be sent for.

Later, Daby moved back to the capital Nouakchott to live with his father. After a tiring day at the hospital, Hamidou would often relax by playing music with his friends. Daby wasn't allowed to touch the guitars, because his father did not want him to develop any crazy ideas about becoming a musician. But he stole time on the instruments anyway and taught himself the basics. He also began discovering the exotic joys of western pop music, thanks to radio, pirated cassettes and the occasional TV broadcast. The Police, Dire Straights, Bob Marley, Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson were powerful formative influences. Although a deep fascination and hunger for music was developing in the teenager, Daby's father continued to insist that music was not a career option for a any well brought-up young man. 'In Mauritania, the profession of musician doesn't really exist,' explains Daby. 'A profession is something you train for and get a diploma. My father was more fearful for me than anything else, because he knew what a musician's life consisted of and for him it wasn't a future.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKv0q7g3-uw

Through the smoke haze, right in the darkness, shooting at ISO 16,000 ... focus locks on fairly
    steadily but can loose track and say a heavier mist of smoke or something else blocks
    the drummer. I did have some problems with AF locking on the cymbal at times.

Some of the party people!

An idea of the EM-1's locking and tracking.

12/40/2.8

Awesome shots, DM! Keep it coming !!

The no. of AF boxes had been increased to 81, and since EPL5 (EPL6 & EP5) , there's a smaller AF box mode which makes AF much easier especially for tricky situations. Em5 doesn't have these features. Mostly I set a spot AF and manually change it but sometimes if I want to be faster, touchscreen AF Hope that answers your question. As for C-AF / tracking, if subject is running towards you, it's still challenging for EM1, though to note that it's pre-production firmware.

Here's how the 81 AF boxes look like:

& here's how the small AF boxes looks like. On EM1, all the 4-way directional buttons is preset to change the AF spot on the fly.

Last edited by wonglp; 23rd September 2013 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benares View Post
    Although this thread is meant for the E-M1, it might be nice to put a shot of E-M1 coupled with the (O)12-40/2.8 and then the (P)12-35/2.8 for comparison.

The overall grip/ergonomics, iso100 and 1/8000 is definitely very welcoming... The poison is lethal in this 1 (peers upon the FT glasses)...
    Here's a shot to show the difference between the 2 lenses. Left Olympus 12-40 & right Panasonic 12-35.

Dimensions: O12-40 is about 10mm longer, and has 62mm filter size vs 58 on the P12-35.
    Weight difference is about 80gr heavier for O12-40. It's expected certainly as there's 5mm more tele on O12-40 than P12-35. On EM1 personally feel the weight of 12-40 is very well balanced on EM1, though I would think O12-40 on EP5 (or bodies that doesn't have a proper grip) would strain the fingers more than P12-35.

O12-40 feels better in built quality than P12-35, zooming ring. Has a L-Fn button which can be customized. I set it to manual focus on a press and back to AF on 2nd press.

O12-40 can go close like 20mm @ 40mm focal length vs P12-35 25mm, @ 35mm focal length. On a practical note, this is what it looks

With P12-35

With O12-40

The Olympus 12-40 has a snap focus mechanism like 12/2 or 17/1.8, but it lacks the DOF scale which can be useful. The focusing ring is very smooth though. Best yet, now the lens cap is metallic and the hood is now given as standard item, finally! The hood has a locking catch as well.

To add on to what WongLP said about lack of DOF scale, personally, the only lenses I've seen with useful DOF scale are those found on manual film lenses. Have not seen a decent DOF scale with a "digital" lens. But there's always paper charts and apps to solve the tiny problem!

Anyway, here I am to update a little, in the high ISO department. For these test, I shot on a grey scale chart with ISO 200 as the base, then at ISO 1600, 3200, 6400, 12,800 and 25,600. NR off, OOC jpegs, custom white balance in constant day light. I used a light meter to take a reading. Cameras used are of course the E-M1 and my aging D3 which everyone knows, is the king of low light back in its day, but has since been taken over by D3s and D4, both of which I do not have, but still, "traditionally" crop sensors do not perform as well as FF sensors, and 4/3 sensors, being smaller than APS-C sensors, are quite poor in the past, but I'm pleasantly surprised by the the results of my little test.

Forgive me if there are a little color variances, but more or less the test of their high ISO capabilities are there.

A wise man said, "Any available light is good light"

As far as I can tell, the E-M1 stands up well against the FF camera, though the D3 is old, and the E-M1 is extremely new). Personally, without pixel peeping and without telling you which pictures came from which cameras, pictures from both cameras are hard, if not impossible to tell apart. And as shown by sample photos from Dream Merchant, it has come a long way from the days of E-1 where the "acceptable" iso range is up to 400 or 800 for some. Even using the D3, I rarely go up to 6400 and beyond.

Pixel peeping, somehow in some areas, the D3 is sharper than the E-M1 and in other areas, the E-M1 is sharper, but it's likely my fault for not focusing on a single focus point, and the fact the D3 with 50mm lens can't focus as closely as the 12-40. But without pixel peeing, I can't see the difference in the 2. Without making a huge print, I doubt I can hardly tell the differences myself.

The E-M1, coupled with the 12-40 and 40-150 are a relatively light and capable camera system which I'm confident can stand its own ground.
    Last edited by spidey89; 24th September 2013 at 11:54 AM.

wow.... better ISO performance compared to full frame?

luckily i just sold off almost all my m4/3 gear....otherwise i will be tempted by this monster.

for the SG F1 shots, any shots of the cars, preferably showing the improved continuous tracking AF performance of the EM1?
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

To be fair, D3 is an old model, but as can be seen, technology has improved since then and if the D3 photos are good and to one's liking, I'm sure the E-M1 probably can compare

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast