Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to remove sticky residual from Gaffer Tape?

Default Re: How to remove sticky residual from Gaffer Tape?

http://www.ebay.com.sg/sch/i.html?_f...Loc=2&LH_BIN=1

you can choose according to the size/amount you need, lots of choices on ebay. the more expensive ones will be higher quality, some of the cheapo china ones the adhesive may be lousy.
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

Quote Originally Posted by ricleo View Post

you can choose according to the size/amount you need, lots of choices on ebay. the more expensive ones will be higher quality, some of the cheapo china ones the adhesive may be lousy.
    Thanks again. looks a little like those I use for my fish tank.

Sorry to all for the OT.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    That looks bad, which brand of gaffer tape were u using? and how long did you leave it on?
    I couldn't remember the brand as it was a few years ago whereby I got some from a friend to stick onto the lens hood. I believe that the gaffer tape has been sticked for at least 5 years.

Therefore, based on this incident, I think that the gaffer tape sticky base will melt over time especially in Singapore where it is very hot. It will stick onto the object when you peel it off. My suggestion is to change the gaffer tape every 6-9 months, otherwise it may leave a sticky residual.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ricleo View Post

Might not be a good idea to buy off ebay, because you cannot see the adhesive sheetings, and prices are not that good anyway. You might want to check out wholesalers and distributors of adhesive sheeting. There is one at Kaki Bukit place called Teck Seng. Can buy by the meter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    I couldn't remember the brand as it was a few years ago whereby I got some from a friend to stick onto the lens hood. I believe that the gaffer tape has been sticked for at least 5 years.

Therefore, based on this incident, I think that the gaffer tape sticky base will melt over time especially in Singapore where it is very hot. It will stick onto the object when you peel it off. My suggestion is to change the gaffer tape every 6-9 months, otherwise it may leave a sticky residual.
    It is not really melting that happens. Adhesives do break down over time. And since this adhesive is natural rubber based, it is no different. Yes, it is recommended to reapply new gaffer every 6 months. But personally, I don't tape anything on the cam long term. Only when I travel, I gaffer off the brand names, model numbers and chin chye gaffer the hoods.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Might not be a good idea to buy off ebay, because you cannot see the adhesive sheetings, and prices are not that good anyway. You might want to check out wholesalers and distributors of adhesive sheeting. There is one at Kaki Bukit place called Teck Seng. Can buy by the meter.
    Thanks for the contact.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123