Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: tokina 11-16mm for event shoots

  1. #1

    Default tokina 11-16mm for event shoots

    Hi guys I nornally Do events with my 35mm f1.8g Nikon lens and it gets a little bit tight sometimes. I was wondering if a tokina 11-16mm would Do the job without it being too wide. I normally shoot events in school. I have a d7100 as the body. Please do shed some light, thanks.

  2. #2

    Default Re: tokina 11-16mm for event shoots

    35mm >> 16mm is a HUGE jump. What you use will depend on the specific nature of your shoot. When I shot events with a D90, it was 95% with a 17-50. The 11-16 came out VERY rarely.

    I recently shot part of an event with a 14-24 (on a FF cam), but that was a special circumstance i.e. launch of ATM inside a shop, very small space, and had to include around 5 people too. Other than that, only for the odd dramatic shot.

    I would think you'd be better served with a 17-50/2.8, but as I said, really up to your specific needs.
    Oh, and be really careful with group shots with ultra-wides -- people at the sides get distorted

  3. #3

    Default

    thanks for the reply !

  4. #4

    Default Re: tokina 11-16mm for event shoots

    Do u still have the kit lens 18-55?
    or do u at least remember how does 18mm looks like...Now.. 11-16 is even wider.

    Try to visualize it..if you cant..you can rent 1..

  5. #5

    Default

    Yeah I know It's wide! Hmmm if I go close to the subject to make it tighter, will the distortion be a huge concern?

  6. #6

    Default

    Get close with that len ... and u will see all the funny faces .. not to mention the angry faces when ppl question why they seem fatter and bigger nose.

    Any wide angle len is not for event shooting .. unless u know how to use it to create dramatic effect ... like those pre-wedding photo.

  7. #7
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: tokina 11-16mm for event shoots

    Quote Originally Posted by AkemiOgre View Post
    Yeah I know It's wide! Hmmm if I go close to the subject to make it tighter, will the distortion be a huge concern?
    ask ur lady family members n friends. hahaha
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  8. #8
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AkemiOgre View Post
    Yeah I know It's wide! Hmmm if I go close to the subject to make it tighter, will the distortion be a huge concern?
    You watch the movie "alien" before right?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  9. #9
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: tokina 11-16mm for event shoots

    Quote Originally Posted by AkemiOgre View Post
    Yeah I know It's wide! Hmmm if I go close to the subject to make it tighter, will the distortion be a huge concern?
    Not if you know how to use photoshop or the people have a good sense of humor.
    I had to take an event pic with Sigma 10-20 recently. The people closer to the edge do look a bit different compared to real life. Luckily it's published online only, at about 20% of original size
    EOS

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Not if you know how to use photoshop or the people have a good sense of humor.
    I had to take an event pic with Sigma 10-20 recently. The people closer to the edge do look a bit different compared to real life. Luckily it's published online only, at about 20% of original size
    Photoshop and other advanced correction tools may not be able to fully correct the distortion.

    That is when you usually count on the sense of humor of the guests / delegates. But I can tell you most of them won't appreciate the unflattering distortion.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  11. #11

    Default

    Thanks guys. Now I know (:

  12. #12

    Default Re: tokina 11-16mm for event shoots

    Quote Originally Posted by AkemiOgre View Post
    Hi guys I nornally Do events with my 35mm f1.8g Nikon lens and it gets a little bit tight sometimes. I was wondering if a tokina 11-16mm would Do the job without it being too wide. I normally shoot events in school. I have a d7100 as the body. Please do shed some light, thanks.
    Its my goto lens for those MP level events when need to do close up work. The key is understanding the characteristic of the lens and making it work for you.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •