Thread: Filter Question

Default Filter Question

I'm using B+W MRC UV filters but find them too thick to stack other filters like polarisers. But I find it troublesome to remove the UV filter before putting on the other filters.

So can anyone recommend an alternative to the B+W? I would like a slim UV filter that is multicoated. Thanks!!

It is not recommend to stack filters on top of filters! You might get vignetting espeically with wide-angle lenes!

Hoya Pro 1?

But you have to pay for it.
    Work: PicasaWeb | Play: Animus3 | Mobile: Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by radedward
    Hoya Pro 1?

But you have to pay for it.

LOL.. No offence but a B+W filter already costs more than the Ultra HMC Hoya filter of the same size. I'd think the thread starter wouldn't need the warning..

Anyway.. A B+W filter is extremely good.. Far superior to the coated filters from Hoya, even the Super HMC series pale in comparison.
    This may not be so visible on the low-mid range prosumers and DSLR's (D70, D100 etc) but it's definitely visible on film and most of the higher end bodies (1D, D1 & D2 families).

My suggestion is not to stack filters at all. If you're using a C-PL, you'd be taking controllable/ static objects. So why choose convenience and possibly regret it later if the shot doesn't look as good?

Deregistered

Use a slim polarizer instead - Nikon CIR-PL II

LOL.. No offence but a B+W filter already costs more than the Ultra HMC Hoya filter of the same size. I'd think the thread starter wouldn't need the warning..

Anyway.. A B+W filter is extremely good.. Far superior to the coated filters from Hoya, even the Super HMC series pale in comparison.
    This may not be so visible on the low-mid range prosumers and DSLR's (D70, D100 etc) but it's definitely visible on film and most of the higher end bodies (1D, D1 & D2 families).
    Oh yah, but he wanted a slim UV filter

Just checked, B+W also has a slim UV filter
    just a rough pricing guage
    Product Name:
    67mm UV Haze 010 (MRC) Multi-Resistant Coating Glass Filter Slim

Price: USD$96.95

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...y=13&Submit=Go
    Last edited by radedward; 11th May 2005 at 06:41 AM.
    Work: PicasaWeb | Play: Animus3 | Mobile: Tumblr

What I want to say is, if removing a filter is too troublesome, taking a photo is even more troublesome.

Thou I really hate removing UV filter before fitting the CPL on, I'll say, remove the UV First, or, perhaps just have ur CPL on for a duration...

changing a filter is faster than changing a lens.

Quote Originally Posted by radedward
    Oh yah, but he wanted a slim UV filter
    Just checked, B+W also has a slim UV filter
    just a rough pricing guage
    Product Name:
    67mm UV Haze 010 (MRC) Multi-Resistant Coating Glass Filter Slim
    I agreed with you.

B+W has slim filter but it's more expensive compared to normal ones. Also, note that the slim filter do NOT have front thread, thus, cannot screw on cir-poly or other filters onto it.

Last week, I bought a 52mm MC B+W slim filter from Cathay's Photo at S$75.
    Last edited by eric69; 11th May 2005 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RossChang
    Thou I really hate removing UV filter before fitting the CPL on, I'll say, remove the UV First, or, perhaps just have ur CPL on for a duration...
    Removing the UV filter before mounting the cir-poly filter expose the photographer to dropping the filters or touching the front element of the lens. Personally, I just screwed my cir-poly to my UV filter.

Actually, I don't think putting on the cir-poly to UV filter will deteriorate the photo quality much. Afterall, for photographers who are using Cokin filters or LEE filters (those slot type rectiangular piece filters), they don't expose their front element of the lens anyway. They still have their UV-filter on their lens.

Anyway, my point is, every photographer have their own preferences of doing things etc. There's no right or wrong. For vignetting problems, I know of some photographers who buy oversize CP normal filters and use step-up rings on their WA lens, while others simply just play a slim type CP filter.
    Last edited by eric69; 11th May 2005 at 10:58 AM.