Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: D70s NewNewBie - Pls Comment

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    148

    Default D70s NewNewBie - Pls Comment

    Hi,
    1st night shoot attempt using Nikon D70s (my 1st DSLR).
    All comments/advises are welcome!










  2. #2

    Default

    The photos are a bit soft. Which quality did you shoot in and how did you resize? The first and the fourth are a little bit underexposed and for the last one I think it'll be better if you can get a nicer view of the place? Happy shooting!

  3. #3

    Default

    Agree with nod3. I prefer taking pictures of the Fullerton from the boat quay end.
    The pics will come out much nicer with a slightly longer exposure. All the best!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The heart of the Abyss
    Posts
    2,307

    Default

    The images are over compressed and not sharpen to the extent that it looks out of focus instead of just soft. My suggestion for the pictures of that size is to be about 2.5x of the current file size... A 650x432 px picture of 38k?

  5. #5

    Default

    hmmm... the noise is abit on the high level... n the focus is also abit off.... excellent subjects though.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    148

    Default

    How to get a correct exposure? 1st Photo was captured using shutter of 2.5", ISO 250. Any setting to enhance it??

  7. #7

    Default

    When doing nightshots I presume you're using a tripod so since time is irrelevant in this case, its best to use the lowest ISO possible. Your camera has a meter thingy to tell you whether the exposure under/over or just right (then again its what the camera thinks). You can always experiment with a few different shutter speeds to get the kind of photo you want.

  8. #8

    Default

    Would like to offer some humble help... Most pics are under exposed. You mentioned a shutter speed of 2.5s, but what's the aperture? Shutter speed alone does not determine the right amount of exposure. Shutter speed and aperture (or F stop) together determine exposure. Also which type of metering did you use? Which priority mode did you shoot in? P, A, S or M? All these in one way or another have a bearing on exposure.

    There are many settings that might affect your end results. Too many to mention at one go. Perhaps the two other critical ones are ISO and WB.

    All teh above mentioned technicalities are captured in the EXIF data.

  9. #9

    Default

    Apart from the underexposure here that you could over come with more practice, the composition needs to be improved as well. Be conscious of the side of buildings sticking out into the edge of pictures.

  10. #10
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default

    Try shoot abit earlier, say 7.30pm, when the sky is still dark blue.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder
    Apart from the underexposure here that you could over come with more practice, the composition needs to be improved as well. Be conscious of the side of buildings sticking out into the edge of pictures.
    Err... Frankly, i don't really understand what's composition. Can u pls elaborate? Thks.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ironargon
    Would like to offer some humble help... Most pics are under exposed. You mentioned a shutter speed of 2.5s, but what's the aperture? Shutter speed alone does not determine the right amount of exposure. Shutter speed and aperture (or F stop) together determine exposure. Also which type of metering did you use? Which priority mode did you shoot in? P, A, S or M? All these in one way or another have a bearing on exposure.

    There are many settings that might affect your end results. Too many to mention at one go. Perhaps the two other critical ones are ISO and WB.

    All teh above mentioned technicalities are captured in the EXIF data.
    Err. Wrong info given after I viewed the EXIF data. 1st picture was captured using Shutter Priority Mode at 1/4sec at F4.5. ISO250, 0 EV.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LolliPoP
    Err... Frankly, i don't really understand what's composition. Can u pls elaborate? Thks.
    Its about framing your subject in your shot, the focal point (point of interest). The "Rule" of thirds is an easy way to frame your shots, you can try Googling "rule of thirds", it'll also land you on some other composition shots. If you just snap snap snap away without framing, your shots would just be like any other shot.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by n0d3
    Its about framing your subject in your shot, the focal point (point of interest). The "Rule" of thirds is an easy way to frame your shots, you can try Googling "rule of thirds", it'll also land you on some other composition shots. If you just snap snap snap away without framing, your shots would just be like any other shot.
    O I C. Thk u very much 4 info. Need 2 practice more lah...

  15. #15

    Default

    Hi Lollipop,
    I would suggest you get the technical part right first before you proceed to improve on composition. One thing at a time. Understand shutter, aperture, metering first. Try P, A, S and M mode and see for yourself whats the difference

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •