Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chin Chai Jiak

Default Re: Chin Chai Jiak

Quote Originally Posted by oracle0711 View Post
    Nicely taken. I can vouch for this stall. Very tasty and always very crowded if you reach after 12pm. I worked around the area and I always make it a point to be there at 11.30am to get a seat and also to eat more peacefully. The place can be a bit small but it does give the authentic feeling of eating in a Japanese eatery.
    Thanks for the compliment. I visited after office hours. Must cheong out first thing at 5.30pm and travel to Tanjong Pagar to beat the queue. bonito flakes and more bonito flakes!

Have you tried the "Bangkok Best Pad Thai"?

Thip Samai (Phra Nakhon – Bangkok) http://chinchaijiak.wordpress.com/20...ai-in-bangkok/

A quick Google of ‘Bangkok best Pad Thai’ will return quite some results for ‘Thip Samai’. The location of Thip Samai is rather off from the main shopping district but is it worth the travel for the ‘best Pad Thai in bangkok’ ?

Thip Samai basically offers many variations of Pad Thai (glass noodle version, with extra prawn, wrapped in omelet or even a version without the rice noodle). Yes, and one more thing that I like about Thip Samai is for it’s cleanliness of the shop. Eating in a dirty eatery is the last thing to worry about at Thip Samai.

At Thip Samai, every plate of Pad Thai is freshly prepared and served piping hot to your table, and it comes comes with a portion of bean sprouts, fresh lime and chives. Adding the lime, chilli flakes and crushed peanut is a must to bring out the flavour of the noodle.

For in-depth review and more photos, feel free to visit:
    http://chinchaijiak.wordpress.com/20...ai-in-bangkok/

Nice info on the deck, heading there late oct, will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by OoStarDustoO View Post
    Have you tried the "Bangkok Best Pad Thai"?

Hungry liao

Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    Nice info on the deck, heading there late oct, will check it out.
    Hope u got a dramatic sky! Mine's covered with big patch of clouds.

Quote Originally Posted by jtsky View Post
    Hungry liao
    Hope u got a good lunch?

Good Morning Nanyang Cafe 早安南洋 http://chinchaijiak.wordpress.com/20...t-kept-secret/

First get to know this place through a Times' article - 24 Word's Best Kept Secret and Good Morning Nanyang Cafe is Singapore's best kept secret.

After having it once, this delightful toast immediately became one of my favorite kaya toast in Singapore. First I will talk about the kaya. Good morning nanyang cafeís kaya is a little unique in the sense that itís not smooth but rather grainy, which gives a very different and yet delightful texture.

I can almost chew on the not-too-sweet kaya custard and i particularly like the kaya for itís ďeggyĒ taste. Itís like a 70% coconut taste and 30% egg with overflowing pandan fragrance.

The butter was melted into the toasted Ciabatta bread. It maintained itís softness on the inside while itís really crispy on the outside.

They also serve lunch items like Curry Chicken:

For in-depth review and photos, feel free to visit: http://chinchaijiak.wordpress.com/20...t-kept-secret/

Mango Tango at Bangkok Siam Square Soi 5 http://chinchaijiak.wordpress.com/20...soi-5-bangkok/

I think the selling point of Mango Tango is the place is really clean, and apart from their fresh juicy mango, the variety of mango desserts may also be the reason for the good crowd.

I thought their food is actually rather well done although part of the reason for the long queue might be due to the small seating capacity in the restaurant. Their pricing is also very decent for their quality mango.

Last edited by OoStarDustoO; 5th October 2013 at 03:09 PM.

Mango Tango at Bangkok Siam Square Soi 5 http://chinchaijiak.wordpress.com/20...soi-5-bangkok/

I think the selling point of Mango Tango is the place is really clean, and apart from their fresh juicy mango, the variety of mango desserts may also be the reason for the good crowd.

I thought their food is actually rather well done although part of the reason for the long queue might be due to the small seating capacity in the restaurant. Their pricing is also very decent for their quality mango.

Yummy!

Quote Originally Posted by ntheni View Post
    My fav place to get my curry rice fix haha
    My fav spot too !

Yummy!
    Heee heee~ Their Mango Sticky Rice not very nice though. The thing that is nice is their Mango!

Swee Choon Dim Sum http://chinchaijiak.wordpress.com/20...3-jalan-besar/

In my opinion, Swee Choon Dim Sum is one of the more value-for-money Dim Sum in Singapore with air-con dining. The place is clean and service is reasonably good. For people who are not driving, Swee Choon is still within ten minutes walking distance from Farrer Park MRT.

The only thing to take note is they will only give you a table after all diners have arrived, else priority will be given to others. Swee Choon may not serve exactly the best Dim Sum items but most of their menu items are reasonably good. This makes Swee Choon one of my favourite Dim Sum places in Singapore.

Love their signature Mee Sua Kueh:

Their Liu Sha Bao also not bad:

The only thing to take note is they will only give you a table after all diners have arrived, else priority will be given to others. Swee Choon may not serve exactly the best Dim Sum items but most of their menu items are reasonably good. This makes Swee Choon one of my favourite Dim Sum places in Singapore.

Wow, very nice. Quick, don't waste the salted egg york.

Wow, very nice. Quick, don't waste the salted egg york.
    No worry! Licked it clean liao!

Swee Choon Dim Sum http://chinchaijiak.wordpress.com/20...3-jalan-besar/

In my opinion, Swee Choon Dim Sum is one of the more value-for-money Dim Sum in Singapore with air-con dining. The place is clean and service is reasonably good. For people who are not driving, Swee Choon is still within ten minutes walking distance from Farrer Park MRT.

Went there once, don't really like it. But your photos made me wanna go visit them again haha

Quote Originally Posted by ntheni View Post
    Went there once, don't really like it. But your photos made me wanna go visit them again haha
    LOL. Thanks bro. i normally will order some same old dishes. I agree some dishes also ok ok nia.

St. Marc Cafe @ Marina Square http://chinchaijiak.wordpress.com/20...tful-pleasure/

There are two branches in Singapore and i personally prefers the Marina Square branch as it is more spacious with a larger seating capacity, so there’s no or little waiting time to get a seat.

St. Marc Cafe mainly serve bread, pasty, sandwiches, soft serve and their most popular Chococro and Little Fuji. Their soft serve dessert mainly range from S$6.30 for the little Fuji to S$8.80 for their Choco Banana Split.

So what exactly is the Little Fuji? It’s a freshly toasted buttery flavor croissant dough with soft serve with caramel sauce. There is always at 5 to 10 minutes of waiting time for this Little Fuji and to collect at the counter when it’s ready. Therefore Little Fuji is always served piping hot and it’s duper crispy.

Thanks for sharing.
    I surf your food blog and I like it.

I have not eaten at this place Thip Samai.
    Have seen at least one TV food show on it. Maybe it was Anthony Bourdian. He did not like it either, but was polite in dismissing it on TV.
    Have surfed other people's opinion of it after they ate there. At least one person really hated it and was shocked that advertising copywriters can bill it as the best pad thai in Bangkok.

I don't think I will like the pad thai at Thip Samai. It is not slowly cooked by one experienced chef who owns the food stall.
    The whole operation is too much factory-like, almost perfunctory with the dish being passed from one station to another through a series of cooks.
    It is mass production and time-motion-study. Maybe the Thip Samai owner is a die-hard fan of Frederick Winslow Taylor.
    Or the Thip Samai owner wants to purposely split up the cooking process so that it does not depend on any one particular cook, for obvious commercial reasons.

I have eaten excellent and very cheap pad thai at unknown small stalls in various parts of BKK.
    And they do not use whatever stuff (is it a chemical?) that caused the unreal neon orangey colour (shown in Thip Samai pad thai photos) that makes the rice noodle look unappetising.

A comment by Matt. R in urbanspoon.com clarifies this:
    Most restaurants in the states, when they cook Pad Thai - they used prepackaged Tamarind paste which has orange food coloring in it... that's why Pad Thai around here is orange. REAL Pad Thai is NOT orange. Bankok Inn's Pad Thai is also not orange.

IIRC, shown below is the natural pad thai without the offensive neon orangey food colour on the pad thai rice noodles. Served at the Blue Elephant Restaurant, near Surasak BTS. I would very much prefer this.

Photocredit: cheapthai travel.com

Last edited by ricohflex; 2nd November 2013 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Thanks for sharing.
    I surf your food blog and I like it.

I have not eaten at this place Thip Samai.
    Have seen at least one TV food show on it. Maybe it was Anthony Bourdian. He did not like it either, but was polite in dismissing it on TV.
    Have surfed other people's opinion of it after they ate there. At least one person really hated it and was shocked that advertising copywriters can bill it as the best pad thai in Bangkok.

I don't think I will like the pad thai at Thip Samai. It is not slowly cooked by one experienced chef who owns the food stall.
    The whole operation is too much factory-like, almost perfunctory with the dish being passed from one station to another through a series of cooks.
    It is mass production and time-motion-study. Maybe the Thip Samai owner is a die-hard fan of Frederick Winslow Taylor.
    Or the Thip Samai owner wants to purposely split up the cooking process so that it does not depend on any one particular cook, for obvious commercial reasons.

I have eaten excellent and very cheap pad thai at unknown small stalls in various parts of BKK.
    And they do not use whatever stuff (is it a chemical?) that caused the unreal neon orangey colour (shown in Thip Samai pad thai photos) that makes the rice noodle look unappetising.

A comment by Matt. R in urbanspoon.com clarifies this:

IIRC, shown below is the natural pad thai without the offensive neon orangey food colour on the pad thai rice noodles. Served at the Blue Elephant Restaurant, near Surasak BTS. I would very much prefer this.

Photocredit: cheapthai travel.com

Glad that you like my posts. Hee hee~ Why not try it for yourself if you are going nearby and you will be your own best judge. I also don't think that there is such a thing as "best pad thai" cus taste is subjective so your best may not be my best and vice versa.

hahaha I like mine done by him, from the night market below baiyoke sky

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast