Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Recommend Camera

  1. #1

    Default Recommend Camera

    Hi guys

    i'm looking for a point & shoot camera mainly for travelling use
    - wifi connectivity
    - Good zoom >15x
    - light and small
    - touchscreen preferbly but not a must
    - self-protrait / front / movable screen (something like Casio EX-TR15 series)

    Budget <$600

  2. #2

    Default Re: Recommend Camera

    After going to the shops and looking at cameras that meet your criteria and giving them a hands-on, which models have you shortlisted?

    Please lah, at least show some effort rather than just coming here and anyhow expecting an answer like you do in your HWZ threads.
    Alpha

  3. #3

    Default Re: Recommend Camera

    i shortlist these so far: casio tr15, canon powerShot N, nikon S9400, samsung WB800F

    but couldn't find one tt can fits all my criteria thus looking for suggestion here

    i'm looking to replace my galaxy camera for travel use

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by y1n9y1n9 View Post
    i shortlist these so far: casio tr15, canon powerShot N, nikon S9400, samsung WB800F

    but couldn't find one tt can fits all my criteria thus looking for suggestion here

    i'm looking to replace my galaxy camera for travel use
    Have you tried them? Which feels "best" in your hand? Chances are, at your budget, you won't get it all, but you need to figure out which is closest to what you want and which is the easiest for you to use.
    Alpha

  5. #5
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,393

    Default Re: Recommend Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by y1n9y1n9 View Post
    i'm looking for a point & shoot camera mainly for travelling use
    - wifi connectivity
    - Good zoom >15x
    - light and small
    - touchscreen preferbly but not a must
    - self-protrait / front / movable screen (something like Casio EX-TR15 series)
    Define priorities for all these points, should help to shortlist further. To me, Wifi is completely irrelevant, I don't mind buttons and self-portrait function is something for camwhores. From the remaining points it's fairly easy to find something suitable
    EOS

  6. #6

    Default Re: Recommend Camera

    amongst the few i prefer casio but price wise is exp and casio dont seem reputable brand for camera

  7. #7

    Default Re: Recommend Camera

    priorities:
    1 Good zoom >15x
    2 light and small
    3 wifi connectivity
    4 self-protrait / front / movable screen (something like Casio EX-TR15 series)
    5 touchscreen preferbly but not a must

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by y1n9y1n9 View Post
    priorities:
    1 Good zoom >15x
    2 light and small
    3 wifi connectivity
    4 self-protrait / front / movable screen (something like Casio EX-TR15 series)
    5 touchscreen preferbly but not a must
    4 and 5 are your biggest issues... 5 I personally find useless, and 4 is only on a few cameras. For 1-3, the Sony and Canon cameras are good.
    Alpha

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by y1n9y1n9 View Post
    i shortlist these so far: casio tr15, canon powerShot N, nikon S9400, samsung WB800F

    but couldn't find one tt can fits all my criteria thus looking for suggestion here

    i'm looking to replace my galaxy camera for travel use
    Keep your Galaxy camera, not sure why you would replace it with one of the cameras listed above.

  10. #10
    Senior Member alwaysjerricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    +65
    Posts
    2,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ageha View Post
    Keep your Galaxy camera, not sure why you would replace it with one of the cameras listed above.
    Agree. Doesn't your galaxy camera have almost all the specs you are looking for?

  11. #11
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Recommend Camera

    Canon SX280HS (SRP S$449) and Sony HX50 (SRP S$599) - both fit all your needs except for a tilt screen.

    Or bite the bullet and get a small interchangeable lens camera like the Sony NEX 3 (S$280 second hand), then buy some like a 18-200mm lens (SRP S$1199.)
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  12. #12

    Default Re: Recommend Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by y1n9y1n9 View Post
    amongst the few i prefer casio but price wise is exp and casio dont seem reputable brand for camera
    Hmmm.... then how come you didn't list "reputable brand" among your priorities ah?
    I can't speak for the brand, but Casio has been into digicams for a long time, if that counts for anything.

    If you really don't trust the brand, then as Rashkae has said, you may need to compromise on some of your 5 priorities. Self-portrait screen? Really? If there is nothing out there that fits ALL your criteria, figure out what are die-die-must-have features, and those which would nice-to-have, and re-evaluate.
    And yeah, GO PLAY with them at the shop. Hands-on can teach you a lot -- a cam with all the ideal features might handle like a wet noodle, and you might find yourself hating the damn thing. In this regard, beware the futuristic new layouts!

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by y1n9y1n9 View Post
    amongst the few i prefer casio but price wise is exp and casio dont seem reputable brand for camera
    I've used 3 Casio's. They are good, I'll go as far as saying great. Reason is that the shots are good enough for the 4R prints. I bought 3 out of itch than need.

    Easy to use, let's face it, how many of us really use or need to use other settings than Auto or have tried them only to end up with lesser quality shots than Auto.

    I had the 600 something, can't remember exact model. A single charge lasted the whole 2 weeks, I admit I didn't do a thousand shots but hey, I didn't have to bother with spare batteries.

    The S16 was thin and easy to carry in shirt pocket and at ready, beats rummaging through your back pack to get your cam or hanging 800g around your neck.

    Every camera has it's advantages. Pick what you like most.

    Remember that the best pics are the ones you catch, not what the camera can do.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Recommend Camera

    reason of changing camera is i'm looking for one with flip screen
    esp travelling usually we take photos on our own so its much more convenient for the screen

    main reason for changing my galaxy is the battery life is short despite having another spare original battery already it just cant last
    and it doesnt have flip screen

    i'm open to higher budget if i can find one that have better specs that current camera

    as for the functions i'm not good at those specs and not pro photograhers so i'm always using auto mode so i need a simple n clever camera

    main thing is to preseve memories from the holiday trips

    other than those discussed above any more i can look at?

    quite interested in Nex 3 but seem like got no wifi

  15. #15
    Member Aikiway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    on the east side of Singapore
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Hi TS, for the price you are expecting, there's really not much to choose from.

    The one that best fits your requirements would probably be a Canon powershot SX50 HS or SX510 HS.
    ==================================================
    Canon 5DMK3 |Fujifilm X-E2, X-T1|

  16. #16

    Default Re: Recommend Camera

    budget wise i'm open to 1k if the specs if good enuf for me to replace my current galaxy camera

  17. #17

    Default Re: Recommend Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by y1n9y1n9 View Post
    budget wise i'm open to 1k if the specs if good enuf for me to replace my current galaxy camera
    So get the NEX 5R... It's about 900 from the usual recommended shops.
    Alpha

  18. #18

    Default Re: Recommend Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Aikiway View Post
    Hi TS, for the price you are expecting, there's really not much to choose from.

    The one that best fits your requirements would probably be a Canon powershot SX50 HS or SX510 HS.
    Nah, no need to waste time with such small sensor cameras.
    Alpha

  19. #19

    Default

    If galaxy battery is issue, get those cheap 30,000 mAh power bank to charge lor....
    "You will not be remembered for the gear you used, but by the photographs you created"

  20. #20

    Default Re: Recommend Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    So get the NEX 5R... It's about 900 from the usual recommended shops.
    the nex 5r doesnt come with zoom right?
    if to achieve the zoom of e.g. 15-20x how much would the lens cost?

    Quote Originally Posted by user12343 View Post
    If galaxy battery is issue, get those cheap 30,000 mAh power bank to charge lor....
    i did have a powerbank but its troublesome to lug around the camera with the hanging charger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •